Does anyone make a 26” disc brake road bike?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by cybersnow, Nov 7, 2017.

1. cybersnow

cybersnow Senior

I am playing with the idea of making a high speed road bike. I tried it with my Felt and 700c wheels and it got squirrelly at about 35mph. I am thinking that smaller tires might help, but really want disc brakes. Any ideas?

2. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

3. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

Haven't seen an adult size road bike with 26" wheels before.

Was going to post about 650b ones but was best to it. That may be as small as they go. To my knowledge anyhow.

4. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

Just reread original post and now I'm confused.........do you want smaller 700c tires or bike with discs and wheelset/tires smaller than 700c?

5. cybersnow

cybersnow Senior

I am thinking that at speed, lowering the center of gravity might help with stability. Since I am just playing, thought about a pedal assist road bike designed to go fast. I know my motorcycle has about 26 inch wheels (non dirt bike). So I thought about a 26” wheel set on a steel frame. Braking may be an issue so I thought disc brakes. I would go with a 52 tooth gear on the motor and a 11-36 on the rear. I did look at a Roloff but cost of the unit nixed that idea. It is just something I am kicking around more as a project/toy than a serious bike.

6. Hawkowl

Hawkowl New Member

So you are building an electric motorcycle and not a bicycle? Used to see those everywhere. Most had small gas engines because batteries were large, heavy and held small charges. But, there were some electric. Now they even build drag racer electric bikes.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  7. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

A couple thoughts.

1) A lot of older rigid MTB frames are steel and might work as they are 26".

2) Possibly an older touring frameset. The would probably have been 27" wheels but 26 with a little more rubber would work.

8. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member