Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure this is exactly new to the industry but I did see it posted this morning posted to the James River Velo Club (JRVC). It was posted with a comment with regards to saving embarrassment...sounded costly :eek:

Without any further ado I present you with the Head Up Wireless Sensor System
Wonder if your insurance company would give ya a break if you installed one...ok prolly not but it sounded good.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
iPhone apps that sound an alert as you approach your garage:

BikeSavr and RackReminder

You can program multiple addresses, home, office garages, even your local McDonalds :D.

Recently reviewed on the Fredcast, He preferred BikeSavr.

"Car Top Alert" -app for Android phones.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Wow! I like the app idea. Although it's not a problem for me since my rack is on the back, I know a certain other TwoSpoker who might want to consider one. ;)

·
348 Posts
My rack is back mounted and my garage is too full of cr, er, stuff to fit a car. But I did ruin a nice wicker dining set pulling into a car port. Once. Just once.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
A friend bought me new seat post after he drove my bike into the drive thru at a McDonalds. I selected lightweight replacement which bent under my weight. :(

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
A friend bought me new seat post after he drove my bike into the drive thru at a McDonalds. I selected lightweight replacement which bent under my weight. :(
The guy that bought my tandem wanted to cut the weight down even more, and put a light post on for the captain. He failed to realize how much steering is done with that post, and bent it terribly on his first outing.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,134 Posts
So just out of curiosity, what's better about a roof rack vs. one which mounts behind the car? It seems to me it'd be harder to get a bike onto a roof rack, and once there, it'd impact your mileage much worse since you're dragging the entire bike through the slipstream rather than just the bits which overhang the edges of your car, as with a rear rack. Then there's the danger of trashing your bike on overhead obstacles :eek:

I'm not ripping on roof racks or those who use them - I'm just curious what a roof rack gets you over a behind-the-car type.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
My particular car requires quite a bit of work to mount a hitch so I'm using a roof system for now. My wife's car, the hitch would hang very, verly which would make navigating our driveway difficult. Due to a rear spoiler, using a rear deck/hatch/trunk mount rack on her car would be impossible.

I goal is to have a hitch on each car and then use a hitch mount track rack, but in time.

I do not like the amount of wind noise I get on my car with the sunroof open with a roof system, even with the Thule air dam mounted.

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not ripping on roof racks or those who use them - I'm just curious what a roof rack gets you over a behind-the-car type.
It's all about the cool factor when it's on top of your 528i. Now Wouldn't a trunk mount or hitch mount just look stupid on this car :cool:

I'm just kindling of course....ok kinda anyway :D

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
So just out of curiosity, what's better about a roof rack vs. one which mounts behind the car? It seems to me it'd be harder to get a bike onto a roof rack, and once there, it'd impact your mileage much worse since you're dragging the entire bike through the slipstream rather than just the bits which overhang the edges of your car, as with a rear rack. Then there's the danger of trashing your bike on overhead obstacles :eek:

$2000.00 worth of bikes hanging in back of your car while on vacation. You stop quickly to pull into a lot you just about drove by and bam you get rear ended. A few scuffs on your car and two destroyed bikes you wont be riding on your vacation.:(

·
889 Posts
That is the reason why I have a rear mount. :)

If I get rear ended, my bike won't be the first thing I'm worried about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I figure the bikes will stay free of any bugs that the front of your vehicle normally catches if they are on a hitch rack and not on the roof in bug infested air!

Zinger

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I figure the bikes will stay free of any bugs that the front of your vehicle normally catches if they are on a hitch rack and not on the roof in bug infested air!

Zinger
Never been an issue the few times mine has ridden on a roof rack. But if it was

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts