Double century

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by cyclenewb, Dec 30, 2016.

1. cyclenewb

cyclenewb Member

Anybody done one? What did you eat to stay fueled. Hydration? What bike? How long did it take you? Was there a hefty recovery time the next couple days?

Completed my first century this year. Have been staying in shape on a stationary bike at the local gym. Plus I ride my bike to work. Can't do much more the ol lady is ready pop "9months pregnant". Also been looking at upgrading bikes so been window shopping. I love my Denali however it's a bit heavy at almost 30 pounds.

2. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

Get a recumbent, a lightning phantom is a super choice. If you google it, a guy rode across the usa on his and there was no sore butt or any pains.

3. cyclenewb

cyclenewb Member

Man, I've been looking at them. Seem so comfortable. But the price!!!

4. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

While recumbents are very comfortable and very fast, especially the high racers, there are some draw backs to them. The biggest complaint I've heard from owners is that they don't do very well on hills. Amanda Coker has started a high racer revolution in this area that you wouldn't believe; especially with the Schlitter Encore. It's making John and Jackie Schlitter quite wealthy. Most of these people I've talked with are post Amanda buyers and didn't take climbing into consideration.

My riding partner Steve bought a Schlitter way before Amanda began her record attempt. He did one charity ride and soon put it up for sale because it wouldn't make it up the Florida hills. He still has it but hasn't used it except for an occasional ride and went back to a road bike.

5. cyclenewb

cyclenewb Member

Been eye balling the specialized allez e5 soort.

6. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

While I agree that a recumbent is a great ride on flats, like John, I've heard they suck on climbing. I'm not sure where you're at, but if 'bents don't climb those nasty Florida's hills...they would be shunned here in Ohio, by any cyclist who enjoys distance rides.
    I've done a 162 mile ride on a Scattante R570, aluminum. It took me all day. I mean 12 hours plus! This past summer, I did a 152 mile ride on a carbon Cannondale Synapse. MUCH BETTER On the time. I will get my double century in, this coming summer, I'm hoping. I was going to attempt 200 on the west side of Lake Superior, on my circuit ride around it, also, this past summer. (Flatter and downhill-ish)
    If you're looking for a serous commitment to riding, not to mention the fact you have a baby on the way, which will determine how you ride and what you buy, I would go to a very reputable dealer in your area and get advice...not just from one store, but a couple, if possible, then draw your conclusion.
    What it boils down to, when you ask for advice in here...all of it is great !great folks with great knowledge and experience! Yet they will also tell you "it's the bike that you like". Buy a good bike. You won't regret it! I grew by leaps and bounds with my Cannondale over and above any bike I've had. Best to you on the search and the double!

7. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

I did one when I was 30 in 1987 on a road bike I still have, Philadelphia to Hershey and back, elapsed time about 14 hours, didn't track the ride time. I went with one guy. Packed a PBJ and some fig newtons, stopped to eat the sandwich at 50 miles, had a Pizza Hut pizza in Hershey at 100, then headed home. Don't recall the rest of the nutrition. Began to feel bad around 130 but got a second wind around 160 and felt ok the rest of the way. Recovery was uneventful. I rode a lot in those days. The guy i did it with was an 18th place Ironman finisher in the early 80s. I came across the US in '83 and averaged 108 a day. Rode across PA maybe 13 years ago and did a 110 and 130 on that trip. Since then I've no desire for long stuff, can't even recall my last century.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  8. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I've not been riding near as long but get bored on long rides and have never had a desire to do a double, that kind of riding has never interested me. I'm intrigued by RAAM though!

9. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

I did a couple times. I ate Clif Bars, PBJ, hamburgers on the last one. Hydrated with water. On a lightweight hybrid. 17 hours elapsed, 14.5 moving. Not much for recovery, 300 more miles that week. 444 miles the following week, including metric century hauling a big trailer and a153 gravel ride...

10. cyclenewb

cyclenewb Member

You are an animal!!!!

11. cyclenewb

cyclenewb Member

I was into speed. Still am. Sort of. I love tucking down hills. Sound of the tires, like a buzzing/humming sound. But distance riding has become what drives me the most. The desire to push. Rode the century as a newb right of passage I guess. I noticed less people have done the double centuries. Figured that would be my next milestone.

Side note. Got my dad riding last year. He's stationary training now. Says he's going for century next year. Might do a 100 miles, then catch up with him for his 100.

12. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

Pretty cool that you got your dad into riding! Usually it's the other way around huh. Have you, or would you, given thought to multi day trips called bikepacking? That's a fantastic way to see a lot of countryside!
    Keep us updated on your milestones (every pun intended)

13. superj

Recumbents climb fine. Try one but remember it takes about 30 days to get accustomed to one because you use different muscles.

I have outclimbed lots of people in rides, and we dont have hills where i live. I do the shiner 100 each year and there are some horribly steep hills on that ride. I passed groups of people leaning against trees and sitting on the grass with their regular framed bikes. Its not the bike, its the rider

14. cyclenewb

cyclenewb Member

I live in a very hilly area of Illinois. To climb is a must.

15. superj

So try a recumbent and be pain free

16. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

No pain, no gain!

17. cyclenewb

cyclenewb Member

Haha, here we go.

18. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

19. cyclenewb

cyclenewb Member

Reason I say that is, I tend to grip my drops when climbing. No being able to do that would weird me out lol.