Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a highlight of the ride, after my attempted ride last night i figured this one make a good thread lol.
Yesterday my friend and I head to the Legacy trail here in beautiful Lexington, KY. I'm feeling great had just got a new jersey and shorts. Bike was tunned up a couple weeks ago- so we head out about 2-3 miles into the ride we come head on towards a group of 10-15 who in their minds owned the entire trail. practicaly getting run off the trail at 15-18mph i hit a rock or ditch or something with my rear wheel. Gave me one hell of a jolt!! well another half mile and i find out it knocked the air outa my tire as well. so break it down patch the hole which was next to the seem, and go on.. another 3-4 miles. it flat again. so repeat. repair procedure. another half mile flat again and out of c02. lol so i walk 3 miles pushing the bike to the end of the trail and my buddy rides back to the other end to get the truck.. So today i will be buying 3 tubes. alot more c02. lol and getting my rear wheel true'd again!

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
I wish this thread was up yesterday when I had to change tubes because the presta valve stem on my front tube broke off when I pulled the pump head off the valve. It certainly was not a highlight of my ride.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I wish this thread was up yesterday when I had to change tubes because the presta valve stem on my front tube broke off when I pulled the pump head off the valve. It certainly was not a highlight of my ride.
I did the exact same thing yesterday pumped the valve stem off.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
I did the exact same thing yesterday pumped the valve stem off.
I don't know about you, but I can't stand these presta valves. Leave it to the French to make something that should be simple into a cluster ####. :hate: This has never happened with a Shrader valve.

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me sugest a pump, thay are as good as your arm is;)
true.. but in all honesty with the patches not holding i would have spent more time stopping every half mile to pump it back up then it took me to walk the last few miles lol

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Yes the trusty old presta valve. I had baught 6 tubes and every one was bad, when you had a flat you could not get all the air out and that made it verry hard to change the tube and fix the flat.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
bonesindustries said:
true.. but in all honesty with the patches not holding i would have spent more time stopping every half mile to pump it back up then it took me to walk the last few miles lol
I carry a patch kit & an extra tube on every ride.... after I had a similar problem several years ago.
Just food for thought.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
I had a shocking downfall on today's ride. There's this husband and wife that goes to the same MUP that I go to that I've ridden with a few times. She was a champion speed skater and a very avid cyclist, as is the husband. The last few times I have seen the husband at the MUP, he was by himself. She is from Columbia and I figured she went home for a month or so, to visit family. I asked the husband how his wife was doing and found out she passed away, in May, from brain cancer. You would have never known that she was ill by watching her. This was a woman that speed skated 22 miles a day and cycled 35-45 miles/day on weekends. Other than from the MUP, I didn't know Claudia that well, but it was still a bummer that didn't exactly make my morning.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
That's very sad, the picture of the widower riding alone. I shed a tear. But that is life and I assume they were happy together until death did they part and that is life at it's best and it's beautiful and it's all good. :) Rest in peace Claudia and my condolences to the survivors.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Almost became a hood ornament last night guy in camo full size blazer cut corner in my lane missed me by a foot he was probably doing about 30 MPH never seen me. scared the s**** out of me.

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Almost became a hood ornament last night guy in camo full size blazer cut corner in my lane missed me by a foot he was probably doing about 30 MPH never seen me. scared the s**** out of me.
he must have dropped his beer. (lol i can make fun of ******** i'm born and raised in KY)

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
ksr5 said:
Not a good feeling, as some of us are aware. It almost happened to me last month when I was at the MUP and the guy was going the wrong way in a one-way parking lot. Scared the crap out of me when I came around the curve and there he was. At least you are OK. I couldn't say the same at the time.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
The downfall of my ride today:
I hit the snooze button too many times and left two hours late. This had me riding in 105° temperatures on the way home!
And
I encountered 2 pups that wanted me as their latest chew toy!

image-3069442484.jpg

The number in the lower left corner is the temp. Trust me, it wasn't 05 deg. It was 105 for about 30 min of my ride. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Downfall of the ride was getting rained out. Maybe tomorrow.

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats crazy i saw 106 according to my work truck, but was only 102 when i rode home lol

·
Registered
243 Posts
Went to go ride a new to me trail yesterday with the boy. Short ride so I didn't take my seat wedge pack, with my tools in it, he's too stubborn to buy one. Spent roughly 45 minutes driving around due to my bad directions and lack of planning. Got there started unloading and discover that his front brake caliper was loose and turned to one side, therefore causing a pretty massive brake rub. Remember those tools at home, by that time it was almost noon and like 2 million degrees so we went back home.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Returning from a short ride today. A fat cow driving a gulpmobile did a surprise left turn right in front of me. I almost went over the bars in a panic stop. A utility pole held me up after I slipped from the seat onto my feet.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts