Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to a road bike, very excited about it tho. Is it best to ride on the drops or hoods? 15-20 miles mix of flat and hills. Trying to pick as many brains as possible.
Thanks

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
To add to that I can tell you I can ride faster and stronger with my hands on top of the hoods( think like a C) or the palms of my hands to the back and top of the hoods. That position leaves my chest open and makes it easier to breath and keeps my legs over center, if you will, of the pedals.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I'm spoiled! I ride a MUP on a daily basis that I practically have to myself on weekday mornings. I actually ride almost the entire 30 miles of my ride on aero bars. I don't have the built-in-to-the-handlebar type, instead I have the clamp on type and I never use (or suggest using) them when group riding or riding on a public road with traffic because there's no way to brake in a hurry or shift if you need to. However, if you are on a road with absolutely no traffic in sight, they are the way to go. When I don't ride the aero bars, I am usually on the hoods, but I do ride the drops a lot just to change positions.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
95 hoods 5 drops.

·
Registered
38 Posts
95% on the hoods. 5% in the drops. Need to lose some more weight to feel more comfortable in the drops for longer periods at a time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yep. I am almost always on the hoods. Its more comfortable and I have better control if the bike than in the drops!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the advice! I'll hit the pavement at 4 tomorrow morning and see how it works out.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I use the drops about 1/2 of 1% of the time, the rest of the time I am all over the rest of them bars , I would say I ride the strate part of the bar the most.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, just did 17 miles in 1:17. I was about 50/50 drops and hoods. Was riding the drops for all the down hill and up top the rest. I don't really like the flat bar, seems like my hands are too close for any control.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
If I need to focus on breathing I am up on the hoods. When dodging the wind or really pushing for speed I am in the drops. I try to move around a lot to save my hands as well as my back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts