Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ebikes meet the Federal definition of "bicycle".
Not a motor vehicle!
EBikes "are not considered motor vehicles under U.S. DOT and NHTSA regulations."

"United States
Federal laws and regulations

Defined

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Code of Motor Vehicle Safety states that electric bicycles and tricycles meeting the definition of low-speed electric bicycles will be considered consumer products to be regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in the same manner as ordinary bicycles, and are not considered motor vehicles under U.S. DOT and NHTSA regulations.[25][26]
In conformance with legislation adopted by the U.S. Congress defining this category of electric-power bicycle (15 U.S.C. 2085(b)), CPSC rules stipulate that low speed electric bicycles[27] (to include two- and three-wheel vehicles) are exempt from classification as motor vehicles providing they have fully operable pedals, an electric motor of less than 750W (1 hp), and a top motor-powered speed of less than 20 miles per hour (32 km/h) when operated by a rider weighing 170 pounds.[28] An electric bike remaining within these specifications will be regarded simply as a bicycle for purposes of federal law. Commercially manufactured e-bikes exceeding these power and speed limits are regulated by the federal DOT and NHTSA as motor vehicles, and must meet additional safety requirements. However, such requirements do not apply to e-bikes assembled from parts or kits by an individual. The use of home-built or kit-assembled e-bikes are instead governed by state and local laws, as federal law does not preempt state and local jurisdictions from enacting their own laws governing the operation of such vehicles on public streets and roadways.[29] The legislation enacting this amendment to the CPSC is also known as HR 727"

So ... National Parks, forests etc. are allowed full legal access via eBikes!
(Anywhere that bicycles are allowed!)

Most States have fallen in line with the Federal standard, granting eBikes the legal standing of bicycle.
Tho ... some States have added the requirement of a helmet.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I don't think this is promoting alternative energy - that usually requires the government to give our tax dollars to private businesses to squander away. This appears more like the government caving in to special interest groups in the name of commerce.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I don't think the intent was to provide an alternative energy source for riding where motorized vehicles are prohibited!

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Good Intentions

The intention was to legalize a low cost, energy efficient, alternative to gas vehicles.
Tho, providing a greatly increased portion of the population with easy access to motor vehicle restricted areas was definitely a bonus.

As these trails-paths have become more fully used, they have multiplied substantially!
Quantity and quality increase annually.
*****, old railroad grades, river and forest trails are being built and upgraded for bicycle and pedestrian use.
Easy access and increased quality encourage families to take a ride, rather than take a drive!

Good for trail development.
Good for population.
Good for environment.
Good for economy.
Good for every body ...
Except ...
Selfish, short sighted cyclists?

But they would seem to benefit from the increase of bicycle access areas, new and better paths, etc.

Maybe they haven't thought this through?
Hard headed? ...

Victims of their own selfish pride? ...

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Wow simon and garfunkle were right “ a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest”

Sorry no matter what the US government ( the same people that said ketchup is a vegetable in school lunches) says there are those of us who believe that once you put a motor on it, it is a motorized vehicle (call me crazy) I don’t really care what size it is. If some one is incapable of pedaling down these paths I have no objection what ever to them using artificial propulsion but you shouldn’t get on the old high horse and pontificate about all of the good and how much less gas and yadda yadda yadda And by the way I have read the other posts on this subject (all 4 million of them, well maybe it wasn’t really 4 million IT ONLY SEEMED TO BE THAT MANY) You know how people are, they always have to push the envelope. It’s not the reasonable individual you have to worry about. It will be the numbskull who figures out how they can go 45 with the US government approved motor by making whatever modifications. And as far as good intentions go ”The intention was to legalize a low cost, energy efficient, alternative to gas vehicles.” That makes sense when it is truly an alternative to gas vehicles but when you are not replacing a trip you would normally be taking by a gas vehicle ie commuting or a trip to the store. Isn’t it just extra energy being burnt as in tooling around on a bike path? No matter how you dress it up? I’m certainly not against motorized bikes but that is just what they are MOTORIZED bikes

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
So E-bikes are responsible for the recent increase in cycling and bike infrastructure?

"As these trails-paths have become more fully used, they have multiplied substantially!"

Oddly I've never seen an E-bike on the bike paths of DC. It's hard for me to believe E-bikes have had such a great influence on urban transportation planning.

I'd be lying if I said I've never used an electric assist to get to the top of a mountain. :D

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Stealth ...

Oddly I've never seen an E-bike on the bike paths of DC. It's hard for me to believe E-bikes have had such a great influence on urban transportation planning.
:D
As ill-informed as you seem ... what makes you think that you would recognize an eBike, if you saw one?

Attachments

·
16 Posts
Thats correct, an electric bicycle is still a bicycle and not a motorcycle. As long as its specification comes under your country and states road laws. If it goes over the specifications then it is not street legal as a bicycle or a vehicle.

·
16 Posts
There is new technology coming out, that will make your electric bicycle look like a regular bicycle now. With smaller hub motors, and batteries hidden into the frame.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Stealth Electrics

Most of the Stealthy electrics above were regular bikes, but modified-upgraded using a motor inserted into the seat post down tube.
This motor powers a helical geared bottom bracket. This has the extreme advantage of being multi-geared power transmission, motor is capable of optimal output at any bike speed. Whether climbing hills at 5mph or cruising at 30mph, motor is capable of full and-or most efficient contribution.

Since these seat post motors are limited to 200-250w output, this wide assist range belays the apparent numerical shortcoming. Overall contribution stacks up nicely against a much more powerful single gear motor.
Single gear motors have a rather "peaky" output, peak output is at 40% of no load speed and optimal efficiency near 75% of no load speed.
Multi geared systems can stay near either of these optimal operating ranges.

Oh, these bikes could have their batteries hidden in the frame tubes, but under seat bag is stealth enough ... I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts