Edge data analysis

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Xela, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I have a Garmin Edge 305. Up until recently, I had only used the Garmin Training Center software for uploading and analyzing my rides. However, a friend of mine pointed me to Sport Tracks (SportTracks) which allows a much more in-depth analysis of your data than Training Center. Plus, it's free. I was just wondering what software others are using, and how do you like it?

2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I started with the Garmin Forerunner 305 and now ride with the Edge 705. I had been using the Garmin Training Center exclusively which was fine when MotionBase was still around. When MotionBased was changed to GarminConnect, I went looking for something new. I too came across Sport Tracks and I can't imagine anything better. I have even begun using the equipment feature to track how many miles I have put on tires and tubes and I can actually track the lifetime of new components I put on my bike. The data is good to, plus you can manually enter data if something is incorrect which Garmin Training Center doesn't allow.

If you find something better then Sports Tracks, please come back and post because I am always looking for better software.

3. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

I recently got a 705 and the SportTracks tip was great.

Well worth the membership to this site ;)

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Glad it helped out! :thumbsup:

5. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

Hi xela, i've got a 705 as well and have been using the Garmin Training Centre for data analysis, but i will have a look at the Sports Track site when i get home, it sounds interesting and maybe give it a go...cheers

6. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I like the looks of SportTracks but the map won't show up.

7. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I have had Sporttracks for a year now and it seem every time I use it I find a new function or a new way to display data and get something new from it. I don't donate often but just this weekend fessed up some bux for this.

All this to say I had the same problem and when I figured it out felt pretty stupid !

[​IMG]

8. rola643

Strava, Mapmyride, RWGPS, Garmin Connect, and still SportTacks is the most bang for the buck. I found myself at one point spending as much time uploading stuff to various sites as I did riding :) RWGPS and SportTracks is pretty much it now.

9. Poolie

Poolie New Member

SportTracks is my primary repository for all workouts, rides etc. It takes playing around with it a bit to get used to the interface, but very powerful application.

Recently saw a couple of screen shots of the new web version that will be available soon.

10. rola643

Yes it is but once you figure it out it is very powerful! I have not yet seen the web based version but may have to go hunting now :D

11. Poolie

Poolie New Member

It was on their FB page several weeks ago. And BTW Rola, thanks! You're the one that turned me on to SportTracks.

12. rola643

I see they have it for the iPad now as well, I lLIKE that!

13. okhealthy

okhealthy New Member

yes.. I like the looks of SportTracks but the map won't show up too. that great ! [​IMG]

14. rola643

When you have a ride open look to the right and above where it shows the ride with no map.There is a drop down box you must select the map type. In the below picture you will see it open on my ride. I'm doing this in a hurry to try and help. I hope it will help, if not I can edit it later for you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  15. rojoyinc

rojoyinc Banned

Really - Sportracks I'll have to check it out - I can't imagine ANYTHING better than Strava! Especially with RaceShape for extended features.
    I read above "now they have a app' ?? I can't find a ipad app when searching the app store for Sport Tracks? Myself I use a Edge 500. So I'll check the PC version. But I'd prefer an app as well.

16. rojoyinc

rojoyinc Banned

Got sport tracks. (PC) interesting, but... Strava is more my speed. Friendly, nice interface. Sport Tracks is really impressive (weather? really?) how about the weight of my little toe? As much as I love such data - it seems like over kill. Rather confusing to use (I played with it a bit - loaded in my .fit files etc) Surely I don't see it as near as good as Strava.

Strava is a great site - PLUS an app so I can view the data on IOS Ipad or Itouch as well as PC.

17. rola643

Glad to hear your opinions. Good to have choices hu ?

18. rojoyinc

rojoyinc Banned

oh heck yea, except with more choices it means that more people are spread out all over. Like we could all be in facebook or only 25% of us and the other 75% could have a choice and be elsewhere. So over all lack of "Connection" to everyone. Strava is more than software, it's a app/connection. Of those who wish to be connected. You can see my rides and achievemtents, and I can see theirs (not so with some other choices).

But typically choices are good.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  19. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

When I click on the link they want $35 for SportTracks 3. Is it no longer free? Worth the money? Mac compatible?