elbow pain

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by anthonylimoman, Dec 4, 2009.

1. anthonylimoman

anthonylimoman New Member

i have been riding for about 6 months but my one complaint is elbow pain. today i rode about 20 miles and my elbows are killing me.

any advice

2. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

I was getting stiff shoulders and neck from the riding position on my Trek, so I switched to a different frame style. No pain anywhere now!

3. anthonylimoman

thanks but i think i am stuck ewith this bike for a little while. today i did 30 miles and tried to stay completely tuck and they seem better. so maybe it is from sitting up too high

4. cowboycharlie

cowboycharlie New Member

Maybe the weather? When it gets below 50 here my joints start aching on long rides.

5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Have you been fitted??? A good bike fitting can prevent or relieve some types of pain.

6. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I am by no means an expert, but from what I've been told, a lower handle bar position will put more stress on your arms and shoulders. So that would be just the oposite of what you said. As was mentioned, maybe its the weather. I know I've been having more than my usual aches and pains. I hope its the weather and not my joints.

7. Michigander

Michigander Member

Some things that may help are strengthening your arms, taking some glucosamine, and doing stretches.

I'm no doctor, but these things have helped me with a number of different problematic joints.

8. anthonylimoman

thanks i will try anything. the weather may be a factor this morning it was 27 degrees when i went out but i really think it is from keeping my arms too straight if i bend them more it hurts less

9. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

! ! ! 27 DEGREES ! ! ! :eek: :eek: :eek: My whole body would be hurting!

10. anthonylimoman

34 this morning it was not too bad

11. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

It sounds like a set up/fitting problem. If your saddle is tilted down at the nose, even a little, it puts more pressure on your hands, wrists, arms and shoulders. Maybe flip your stem to put the bars higher. Try to loosen up a little, make a conscious effort to drop your shoulders and bend your elbows slightly when you ride. It should be your stomach and back muscles that hold up your upper body, not your arms. Check yourself from time to time to feel how tense your arms/shoulders are, shake it off and relax. Move your hands around every few minutes, take a different grip, on the hoods, down in the drops, up on top.

12. anthonylimoman

thanks i will check out my setup

13. lowracer1

lowracer1 New Member