Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electric bikes have three main components that set them apart from standard bicycles — the battery, the motor with its controller and the sensor.The battery powers the motor. This device's capability for generating power and how long it lasts are where the numbers for wattage, voltage and amp-hours come into play.
Electric bikes use a motor to assist the movement of the pedals, making riding the bicycle less taxing. Some designs allow the bike to move forward under its own power from the motor while others require your assistance to pedal.Fully integrated Controller make you work as an Engineer. It has a seemingly magic blend of affordability and usefulness.Makes the ride super smooth and exhilarating.
I'm curious, what is the configuration of your car?
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,187 Posts
4 wheels and a combustion engine.....why?

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,187 Posts
4 cars, 20 bikes, 2 kayaks, a snowboard, a skateboard and not one question about the 3 surfboards....wth is going on here?

·
Two skinny J's
21,749 Posts
4 cars, 20 bikes, 2 kayaks, a snowboard, a skateboard and not one question about the 3 surfboards....wth is going on here?
No motor boats????

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,187 Posts
that's a bicycle thing.....music playing while riding is to cover that up. In 20-30 yrs if I need an ebike I won't play music to cover up the motor noise....

schwiing....back on topic

·
Two skinny J's
21,749 Posts
So... I am WAY ANTI E-BIKE for the NORMAL person. I DESPISE what they generally do to the trails and riding. I do think there is a somewhat limited value in them given the right circumstances. For instance, today as we finished riding there was a gentleman who was preparing to ride on a E-Bike. He definitely had a needed. This person had two prosthetic legs and he could surely use the assist to gain some of his freedom back and be able to enjoy the trails and be out in the woods.

I absolutely despise posts like this ( OP) singing the praises of e-bikes so I try and stay away and just no comment.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,187 Posts
So... I am WAY ANTI E-BIKE for the NORMAL person. I DESPISE what they generally do to the trails and riding. I do think there is a somewhat limited value in them given the right circumstances. For instance, today as we finished riding there was a gentleman who was preparing to ride on a E-Bike. He definitely had a needed. This person had two prosthetic legs and he could surely use the assist to gain some of his freedom back and be able to enjoy the trails and be out in the woods.

I absolutely despise posts like this ( OP) singing the praises of e-bikes so I try and stay away and just no comment.
Agree totally...as posted in one of the other ebike threads about age related or physical challenged need base use.

And on another note, I could see where regular bicycles get banned from trails due to ebikes tearing them up and ignorant governing bodies not knowing the difference between motorized vehicle and a bicycle.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,611 Posts
I think they have their place and use and I no more concern myself with whether someone is on an e-bike as I do a $8,000 roady bike. But for some reason because I have a dynami hub and lights on my big sub commuter I get asked a lot if it’s electric….and it puts me off a bit. I’m ok with other people riding them but don’t want anyone thinking I am riding one?

I am Jack’s flaming hypocrite.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,187 Posts
same boat with Scott belt drive...has dynamo bright led head and taillight.....but still, I am the motor.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,585 Posts
I have to admit that the first time I wandered into an e-bike shop thinking it was a regular bike shop, I felt a little dirty and...wrong just being in there. Almost like walking into a business and realizing they're selling hard drugs under the table :D. These days, my go-to LBS is an e-bike dealer. They work on regular bikes too, quickly, and their quality is good.

In the end I've realized that even though they have supplemental motors, e-bikes still have cranks and handlebars. Those features combine with tires and a saddle to make something awesome, whether it has a motor or not. Moreover those who ride them, even with the assist maxed, still burn more calories than they would riding the couch. More cyclists of either type also mean more pressure for more cycling infrastructure. I'm all for that.

Eventually, I hope to be able to use a battery and motor to stay in the saddle if and when I age out of the ability to be self-powered. I know I'm much zippier given a motor. My wife has an e-bike and I've ridden it. It's a blast. Despite that, I'm happy and grateful to be able to act as my own motor day in and out. If someone else wants to play it differently, good for them. I don't care if you're faster than I am when you have a motor and I don't: that kind of goes without saying. I'm not out there to compete, I just want to ride.

In truth, most of the e-bikes I see locally are operated responsibly by riders who most often keep their speeds reasonable. Sometimes it's...really obvious that they're beginning riders. Ditto some on regular bikes. I'm sure I looked about the same way when I returned to cycling back in 2011. It happens. Most figure out and practice at least the basics of trail etiquette.

It's funny, but in the end, I love everything about e-bikes but the motors. As a cycle tourist, I'm a long time fan of bikes which can do more than be fast and ultralight. Nothing against such rides, they just aren't my thing . Given supplemental power, it seems manufacturers aren't as afraid of weight and outfit their rides properly, with wide tires, racks, full fenders, lights, all the good stuff. I love that. I just don't see the need for a motor to haul it all.

It's easy to bag on 'regular' people for riding an e-bike, but in the end, I don't see a need to bother worrying about whether e-bike riders 'need' the assist or not. You can't always judge a book by its cover. Also, it's none of my [email protected] business why someone else does or doesn't want a motor on their ride. E-bikes are getting more people out on bikes. Somehow, I just can't see that as a bad thing.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,187 Posts
I don't really care about what other people do as long as it doesn't interefere with what I want to do.....and vice versa, I employ consideration in what I do to not interefere with what others want to do. My concern mostly is for the widespread pandemic of inconsideration people have for others on whatever level and regardless of consequence to others. Just not a fan of anything that helps that lack of thought beyond one's self thrive in any realm. That being said, ebike use is nowhere near the top of list of stuff going on that promotes inconsiderate nonsense.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,611 Posts
I have seen a few videos of people touring with e-bikes. Very interesting use of the tech.

Reactions: newleaf150

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,611 Posts
I have seen the exact same thing playing out in other outdoor pursuits like backcountry canoe tripping. I went into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in 2020 and was disheartened by the number of assholes who took to the woods that year. I had two guys race over and cut me off in their canoe because they thought I was heading to a campsite they were hanging out to save. Three days hard paddling and portaging into a pristine wilderness area and I have to listen to some twatwaffles blasting a boom box.

People are either assholes or they are not. It’s not the bike or the canoe that makes them an asshole, it’s their assholness that makes them an asshole. 8D

·
tall old member
1,478 Posts
I have seen a few videos of people touring with e-bikes. Very interesting use of the tech.
That seemed like a nice enough guy but I don’t get it. I used to bike tour on my motorcycle when I was single. If you want to bike tour with a motor get a big enough motor to keep up with traffic. I don’t like the idea of stealing electricity everywhere you go. Charging phones is one thing but charging bikes takes a lot more electric.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts