Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electrolytes. What are they exactly & how do they work? I ask this question because for the most part I've always been an active person and I've always been told about electrolytes and how important they are. just thought meh grab a gatorade and good to go.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Electrolytes are basically what you sweat.
Gatorade, no thanks. That is real sweet on top of the electrolytes, and it is sugar sweet, not the best kind of sweet.
So...There is a couple different needs while exercising.
1 is to keep hydrated.
1 is to keep fueled.
The Gatorade tries to do both and neither well. IMO.

For hydration nothing beats water. If you are sweating and notice a "sandy" feel to the skin, then take an Endurolyte. A name brand salt tablet.
For energy, take energy food. Gu or a mojo bar or the like.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Xela sent me some electrolyte links I was looking at. I was just going to use g2 until payday when I can order something for electrolytes. I was wondering though if freezing an electrolytic fluid would change the way it works. because if it doesn't I was thinking of freezing an electrolyte fluid in my ice cube trays and adding them as ice
cubes to my water in my bottle.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
LiveFreeRideHard said:
Thanks. Xela sent me some electrolyte links I was looking at. I was just going to use g2 until payday when I can order something for electrolytes. I was wondering though if freezing an electrolytic fluid would change the way it works. because if it doesn't I was thinking of freezing an electrolyte fluid in my ice cube trays and adding them as ice
cubes to my water in my bottle.
Take a look at nuun, very good stuff. I've got an article on Heed vs Nuun here in the forum somewhere, take a look at that.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
A bit of foreshadowing and good news, Jon. elete has agreed to sponsor an upcoming giveaway on the site. Keep an eye out. The contest and rules should be announced within the next week.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh cool thanks for the heads up xela. I'll have to keep on the lookout. elete was actually what I was leaning torwards trying first.

·
Registered
748 Posts
On a training ride what i use depends on length/effort.
For most rides under an hour I can do without. Will be thirsty at the end. But during...nada.
For rides over an hour or hill work, I will take cold water for under 2 hours and an energy hit of my choice.
For long rides, I can't carry enough supplies. If it's hot and I am working it, I will use a 20oz every 15-20 miles easy.

I use Cytomax for my liquid go juice. It isn't horrible and works well and don't upset anything internal. I mix it weak too.
Every 3rd bottle.

I also use gels. about every hour until I can't take them any more, about 3 or 4. Gels are sort of like concentrated cytomax, so they need to be washed down with a couple good gulps. Take several flavors or get sick of them...fast.

After 3 or 4 hours, I need solid food. I use peanut butter and jelly. they can be frozen and are better than steak after 4 hours in saddle.

When I am done I drink water and chocolate milk. and recover with a smoothie. All done asap.

I take an electrolyte tablet the night before a long 4 hour or more workout and 1 before I start and as needed. If I sweat a lot and the chin straps on my helmet is all caked with salt, I may take another with my daily suppliments.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I am of the opinion that a bicyclist does not require special foods or drinks. I put water in my water bottles.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
For the first 60 mins, h2o is fine for the most part. Dependent upon sweat rate and sodium loss.

After the first hour you need carbohydrate/electrolyte replenishment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts