Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rat Biker
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting idea but tbh with having another gadget like that I just picture it as something that will fail without warning. I mean I work in computers and have seen electronic stuff give out to much but who knows. Afraid to ask the price of it. So the big question would any of ya go for something like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8lw5T6_D8s]Shimano Di2 Electronic shifting - YouTube[/ame]

·
Rat Biker
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it would be a cool ride.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
I would certainly go for electronic shifting, but for the current prices forget it. I leave the new technology for the rich guys, who don't mind the high prices which pays for the R&D costs so that the technology eventually comes down to affordable prices for the rest of us.

My only concern is that there is obviously a power source (battery). So what happens if I want to take a ride, get my kit on and head out to the driveway only to find a dead battery? Even worse, what if you run out of battery mid ride. Is there a mechanical default that you can switch to or are you out of luck?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think I agree with Weav. It's a cool system fo realz! But honestly for the majority of us poor folk, the mechanical shifting works just fine. And really the extra weight of the battery for the weight junkies would be a bit of a hindrance. I mean a AA Battery weighs what like 2 ounces :-O

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
I think I agree with Weav. It's a cool system fo realz! But honestly for the majority of us poor folk, the mechanical shifting works just fine. And really the extra weight of the battery for the weight junkies would be a bit of a hindrance. I mean a AA Battery weighs what like 2 ounces :-O
2 Oz. is out of the question, I never thought about that, thanks Dubgurl. Electronic shifting is dead to me from here out.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
another way 2 b lazy
Yeah, those TdF riders are a slack bunch.

And really the extra weight of the battery for the weight junkies would be a bit of a hindrance. I mean a AA Battery weighs what like 2 ounces :-O
See above comment. Electronic shifting has been used since the early 1990s, and Di2 has been used during the Tour since at least 2008. In a sport where a few seconds over hundreds of miles can mean everything, missing a shift is not an option. As far as weight, the wiring would be lighter than steel wound cables, and the AA battery weighs roughly 8/10 of an ounce. With the UCI imposing a 15 pound (6.8kg) minimum weight limit, it's entirely possible that a little extra weight would not be a concern, as they can build a bike under the weight limit pretty easily.

For what it's worth, I prefer friction shifters on the down tube for function and style.

·
Registered
243 Posts
See above comment. Electronic shifting has been used since the early 1990s, and Di2 has been used during the Tour since at least 2008. In a sport where a few seconds over hundreds of miles can mean everything, missing a shift is not an option. As far as weight, the wiring would be lighter than steel wound cables, and the AA battery weighs roughly 8/10 of an ounce. With the UCI imposing a 15 pound (6.8kg) minimum weight limit, it's entirely possible that a little extra weight would not be a concern, as they can build a bike under the weight limit pretty easily.
I never thought about the wiring being lighter than cables, makes sense. But I do think the internet's lack of inflection made me come across as serious, I was just trying to make a joke.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I never thought about the wiring being lighter than cables, makes sense. But I do think the internet's lack of inflection made me come across as serious, I was just trying to make a joke.
Plenty of inflection available. Let me demonstrate.

Anything Jersey Shore or Kardashian :rolleyes:

Beer :thumbsup:

Steel bicycles from Italy :love:

My daughter getting sick at school today :(

My ride down the freeway to pick up daughter, with no traffic :)

Speeding on empty freeway :eek:

Closing the throttle right as I notice the cop :p or :cool:

:D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
it actually could be a benefit. You could dial in the cadence you wanted to maintain,and it sensed the rpm and when you got too fast or too slow it would shift to help you maintain the set cadence Would not pay a great deal extra for it, but it might work

1 - 17 of 17 Posts