Emergency Information Options

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by StormStrikes, Mar 11, 2019.

1. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

I have used IceDot since starting cycling and have had no problems with it. However, they have been bought out by Specialized and now the only option is their crash sensor. Which you need to used their app for it to work, it needs to be open and running when you are riding and is dependent on cell service coverage to deliver any potential emergency notifications.

I had no choice but to get one to renew my IceDot membership ($10/year) but after this, my understanding is that the wrist bands that I have been using will no longer be available. To that end, what other options are out there. I know of RoadID and I am kind of leaning that way, but would like to see what other options out there that may be worth exploring.

John_V likes this.
  2. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

I should add that RoadID has not become the default for me because they contact information is viewable by anyone who can see your band. I am a little weary of this, even though I would probably only wear it while I was cycling.

That was the really nice thing about IceDot. Any emergency responder that showed up could send a text to the number on the band, provide the pin on the reverse side of the band and would get back the medical details I chose to share. When that was done, it automatically notified my emergency contacts as well.

I hope there is something out there similar to that because I am not too keen on this crash sensor.

fpl1 and John_V like this.

3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I have no input to that. I will add some humerus info. Back in the fall I was doing an MTB ride with my Garmin and I had to stop so fast it sent out a crash alert and before I could stop it my wife was calling and checking on me. Someone had put a stick in a bridge to mark a hole in the bridge mostly for horses, I just couldn't tell that.

Second just a couple of weeks ago I did a nice ride with my buddy for his birthday. We both have the Fly6 on our seat posts. He had to stop and...relieve himself ( old men and coffee :)) Anyway I did the same. We had both laid our bikes down and when we got to our next turn noticed his was no longer flashing or recording. checked mine, same same. Well, when we laid the bikes down it was past the 17* or so vertical that the Fly took it as a crash and shutdown in write protect mode ;D Kinda funny but still good to know it actually works.

fpl1 and John_V like this.
  4. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Here's my take and here is what I do. As an ex-paramedic, I can honestly tell you that none of these items are needed if you are conscious. However, if you are not, the paramedics first responsibility is going to be stabilizing you. Until they can get you stabilized, they don't really care who you are or what your medical history is. Once you are stabilized, they may/may not worry about your name and medical info. That is totally dependent on what they have to do for you during transport. Often, that information is brought to the hospital by law enforcement investigating the crash.

What they won't do is waste time on the scene looking for a wallet or bag with your DL and insurance info in it. Most likely, your jersey will be cut off at the scene and left there with whatever info you have in your jersey pockets. If your info is in your saddlebag, forget it, you'll be a John Doe until someone realizes your missing and finds you at the hospital.

The idea of IceDots are nice but until you get to the hospital, I don't know of too many paramedics that are going to take the time to send a text and pin number and wait for a response with your information. And you have to assume that the attending paramedic knows what an IceDot is and what to do with it. It's why I don't have the RoadID model that requires the same steps. I use a standard RoadID with my wife and daughters phone number on it. If nothing else, they can contact them for whatever they need. The last line reads "See PMHx in iPhone Notes." By reading that, it will hopefully force them to bring my iPhone with me, which I keep in my jersey pocket. If your phone is locked (mine seldom is) by fingerprint, they can always open it using yours. In my Notes, there's a page named PMHx (past medical history). It contains all my information including doctors, medications, allergies and insurance info.

Paramedics obtaining your personal information is not always a certainty but the easier you make it for them the better the chances your information will be found and used. The way I do mine may not be right for everyone but after doing the job for over 20 years, it's something that I would have followed up on had I had a patient that did the same.

fpl1, lectrichead and newleaf150 like this.
  5. rola643

^ I was thinking the same, basically @John_V.

John_V likes this.
  6. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

I had never thought about having my jersey cut off and left behind. I figure (hope) anyway that whoever was doing the cutting would feel the weight and bulk of the wallet and save it. if not, I figure cops cleaning the scene would find it.

John_V likes this.
  7. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Interesting take @John_V . I had never given that much consideration, especially about taking the time to go through the steps to get the medical information. That makes a lot of sense though, actually. Maybe a RoadID is a better option after all.

I wonder, though, should I take something of a military approach and have some Dog tags made up?

John_V likes this.
  8. rola643

I've always hoped between the Road ID and the ability to get emergency info from my iPhone ,without having to unlock it, was going to be enough. I've never considered carrying a wallet quite honestly, never crossed my mind. I carry an old drivers license with a some crash wrapped around it and a small rubber band to hold it together. Sorry to start drifting off topic :D

It's funny you mention the dog tag. If I ride from anywhere but home and carry my bike in my truck, I have a chain with a key to the door of my truck and an actual military dog tag from back in the day. My wife hates that idea. As you know it has your Serial Number. ie your Social Security number on it and she does not like that I carry that and "could" loose it.
    fullsizeoutput_c23.jpeg

newleaf150 and John_V like this.
  9. John_V

Stormy,

You can use use dog tags provided they have directions on where to find your medical info.

The biggest thing I worried about with an unlocked phone was that my social security number was listed (same as Medicare). Since the recent change in Medicare numbers, I no longer worry about it. Someone getting both your DOB and SS can cause you a great deal of issues. To most hospitals, your DOB is more important than your SS. If you do put your info in your phone, you really don’t need your SS for them to treat you. The most important info they are concerned with is your name, age and insurance info. Medical history is extremely nice to have but they won’t stop treating you if they don’t have it.

If you don’t trust putting your info in a phone where it can be seen by others. Just put your name, DOB and cell phone numbers of two immediate relatives on whatever ID system and the hospital will call them for whatever they need.

10. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

I decided to go the Dog Tag route. I am having some custom made with my name, DOB, Blood Type, Contact numbers and insurance carrier and policy number. It just made more sense to me given what @John_V stated.

The only concern after that, I suppose, is if they cut off my firearm holster they don't leave it on the side of the road or wherever they find me in such case. Hopefully none of this is ever needed.

John_V, newleaf150 and fpl1 like this.
  11. rola643

What? No .380 in the jersey pocket? :D

John_V likes this.
  12. rola643

What? No .380 in the jersey pocket? :D

13. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

No sir, I don't play with toys. I carry a double stack 9 mm.

John_V, rola643 and fpl1 like this.
  14. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

So was I the only one that was worried they’d cut off my jersey and therefore ruin it ?

Much less leaving my firearm behind.

John_V, newleaf150 and StormStrikes like this.
  15. John_V

Firearms are turned over to law enforcement. In most cases, holsters go with the firearm as it’s much safer to transport. Just be sure you have your permit when you go pick it up or you can be charged for unauthorized carry.

newleaf150 and StormStrikes like this.
  16. StormStrikes

StormStrikes Member

Oh yeah, I have my conceal carry permit.

John_V likes this.