Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently using endomondo on the iPhone and pretty ok with its performance for my reasonably simple needs. Anybody care to comment on what they have found good/bad about using Strava instead. I guess I could try it myself really, but any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
In my opinion the Endomondo and Strava target two different groups of people. Endo is more a general purpose site to gather all of your exercise efforts (cycling, mountain biking, running, walking, etc) and provides a you metrics around those efforts.

Strava is mostly (at least from I can see so far) about competing with other cyclists to see who can be the faster person for a given segment. You can also use Strava to locate interesting rides in your area, and what I use it for is to simply see how my times rank against other mountain bike riders I know for the various trails we ride. I'm sure there's other things you can do with it.

I gather my rides with a Garmin and have the flexibility to easily upload to multiple sites, but if I only used my phone and could only upload my rides to one site, it would be Endomondo.

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my opinion the Endomondo and Strava target two different groups of people. Endo is more a general purpose site to gather all of your exercise efforts (cycling, mountain biking, running, walking, etc) and provides a you metrics around those efforts.

Strava is mostly (at least from I can see so far) about competing with other cyclists to see who can be the faster person for a given segment. You can also use Strava to locate interesting rides in your area, and what I use it for is to simply see how my times rank against other mountain bike riders I know for the various trails we ride. I'm sure there's other things you can do with it.

I gather my rides with a Garmin and have the flexibility to easily upload to multiple sites, but if I only used my phone and could only upload my rides to one site, it would be Endomondo.
Thanks Poolie, that's good info. My days of comparing myself to others are on the wane. I may just stick with endomondo. LIke you say, it does cover hiking etc too.

cheers mate

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Strava is the bane of my existence because I'm not smart enough to ride just for fun. I also use http://www.plus3network.com to track my rides.

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
I currently use Endomondo but I am curious on what I need to track my Cadence and Speed. It seems neither Strava or Endomondo come out and say exactly what is compatible. They just say they work with ANT + now. Well I work in the IT field and I guess I'm a little behind on the ANT + tech. Anyone care to share what they use with either of these programs ?

Bongo I could see where the beating other times could be fun but I think if you have have friends on Endomondo you can try to beat their times. At least for running and rollerblading. Not sure on the cycling. I know you can try to beat your own personal times on Endomondo. I like Endomondo personally, I might try Strava once or twice though.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
I currently use Endomondo but I am curious on what I need to track my Cadence and Speed. It seems neither Strava or Endomondo come out and say exactly what is compatible. They just say they work with ANT + now. Well I work in the IT field and I guess I'm a little behind on the ANT + tech. Anyone care to share what they use with either of these programs ?

Bongo I could see where the beating other times could be fun but I think if you have have friends on Endomondo you can try to beat their times. At least for running and rollerblading. Not sure on the cycling. I know you can try to beat your own personal times on Endomondo. I like Endomondo personally, I might try Strava once or twice though.
http://www.thisisant.com/pages/technology/what-is-ant-plus

ANT + is how devices talk to computers such as Garmin or the like. HR, Cadence, Power Meters, etc. Some of those computers can upload wirelessly and some via USB.

I prefer Strava of those two.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
No such luck :)...well that I am aware of.

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts

·
130 Posts
Strava here

I have been using it and works for me. The only quirk I know of is the other riders in your area can post their ride on map with there times which I think is a lot of BS. Come on 58 miles an hour in 1/8 mile distance .What did they get shot out of a rocket ?

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Funny thing is i can find the ANT Radio Service on Google Play. Weird.

EDIT:

I dunno man this almost seems like it will work...

https://getsatisfaction.com/endomondo/topics/how_to_setup_the_speed_and_cadence_sensor_ant

Although my phone isn't in the ANT + enabled phone list. It appears that I just have to download a service on my phone. Either way it's not a huge deal breaker.
Guess I'm behind. Last I knew Wahoo was only available for the iPhone...then again maybe not. I just had no interest since I already owned a Garmin.

·
125 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Strava and have been for some time now. I use my Garmin Edge 800 to record each ride, then upload to Strava. I love the competition aspect of Strava, but I find that I'm competing more with myself than with others. I plan my rides with segments in them so I can work on hills, sprints, etc. and track my progress with the leader-boards. If I had my druthers, I'd add a few options to Strava, but overall I'd chose it over any other app/online training tool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts