Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my first full season of riding, routines are being established. Initial fears have abated, favorite roads/trails have emerged. I feel more sure of myself in skill & strength.
We each compete against ourselves, goals & benchmarks help us keep track of progress.
There's this second rate hill in our city park that has emerged as my speed benchmark. The first time I took note was 11 MPH at the crest of the hill. I'm consistently at 15 MPH now.
What's your goal or benchmark?

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
That's some nice improvement there, Andy. I'm more seasons in than you are, but just by a couple, and still learning, too. My benchmark is also a hill. I dubbed it Heartbuster because the first time I was able to climb it without dismounting, I thought my heart might explode. I now crest it without trouble and keep moving. My goal for this season is 3013 miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just started cycling in July so my benchmarks are modest. I prefer to set modest short and medium term goals to lay the foundation for longer term goals.

Right now my goal is to ride 50 miles a week. On my shorter rides I'm trying to do some intervals. My route includes circuits through a park that has a short but relatively steep hill. Yesterday I crested the hill twice while maintaining what for me is good momentum but I stopped after cresting to catch my breath and drink some water. I'm making progress and eventually want to be able to do multiple circuits at a high tempo without stopping.

On longer rides I focus on cadence and maintaining a decent pace. Right now I average almost 12 mph over 12 miles. I'd like to up that closer to 15 mph over 20 miles.

Modest but measurable!

Ray

·
Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts
Once my grandchildren are grown I will begin to train for the Mt Washington Hill Climb. I enjoy both riding and working on bikes. When the time comes I will be tricking out a bike with a 1 to 1 ratio single speed.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mICgBg&usg=AFQjCNFSGrwt2AxRFgGtIZnJP8dEMXUiTg
Sheez, must be a bunch of wussies to let a little weather bother them :D

In August of 2007 the hillclimb was cancelled due to steady winds of 72 mph, freezing temperatures, frozen precipitation, and rime ice. Mt. Washington is also home to the worst weather ever recorded on earth.

I like to watch that :D

·
348 Posts
I just started cycling in July so my benchmarks are modest. I prefer to set modest short and medium term goals to lay the foundation for longer term goals.

Right now my goal is to ride 50 miles a week. On my shorter rides I'm trying to do some intervals. My route includes circuits through a park that has a short but relatively steep hill. Yesterday I crested the hill twice while maintaining what for me is good momentum but I stopped after cresting to catch my breath and drink some water. I'm making progress and eventually want to be able to do multiple circuits at a high tempo without stopping.

On longer rides I focus on cadence and maintaining a decent pace. Right now I average almost 12 mph over 12 miles. I'd like to up that closer to 15 mph over 20 miles.

Modest but measurable!

Ray
I'm with you, Ray. I just started again about a month ago, so am working on (not finding time, as that never happens) but BUILDING time into my new work schedule so I WILL ride, work out and as a result, have the desire and incentive to continue improving my eating habits.

It looks like I will be able to ride 1-2 afternoons a week after school while 2 DD's are in sports practice and I can now afford to put the wee one in after school care while I ride. Alternate is Saturday mornings if I'm not hiking with the kids. Eventually I'll get them safe enough on bikes to take on trails with me and then the fun will really begin. Sunday's we're going to church again, but there's always the afternoons!

I think if you wait to find the time, you won't. I'd been telling myself that lie for several years.

Goals: Move from the new 10 mile achievement to 15-20 miles this fall. I'm new enough that terms like "cadence" don't have a lot of meaning yet, lol, so I'm focusing on building up endurance and making this a permanent part of the rest of my middle aged life. I'd like to try road and/or mountain biking and see where I'm led before I buy a second bike. I have a decent hybrid for now, so can do my paved trails and dabble either way. I love to hike and am starting to run a little and swim about 1/4 mile now. so have this fantasy about finding a modest triathlon to do next year. I have a firm weight loss goal this fall of 20 pounds, and a total of 40-50 over the next year. I think these are feasable first year goals, and can move to more technical ones after that.

Bottom line, is....we're all out there moving our bottoms! (Ooooh, just had to do that!):p

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My earliest goal was to do a 20 mile ride before the end of summer. It was 30 years since I did any cycling at all & my longest ride ever was 21 miles at age 29, oh so long ago. I am doing 15 & 16 mile rides without too much difficulty so I must be getting close.
Who would have guessed an inherited hybrid would be so much fun. Did I mention my pants are way too big now?

·
Registered
748 Posts
My goal this year is also a hill. Well... a bit more than a hill.

Vail pass.

From Copper mountain to Vail. And back. 22 miles. 7,000 feet of climb. At 10,000 feet in altitude.

THIS WEEKEND!

Did Loveland pass to Brekingridge and Frisco to Copper in the last 2 weeks to prep for it.

The trick is...keep moving forward.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Been riding 1 year. Lost 28 lbs and am riding 15-20 miles on a hybrid. My goal, loose anotherm10 lbs and transition to a road bike.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
This is also my first season of riding. In this time I have changed SO much physically and mentally. I feel like nothing is out of reach, only takes a little more time. It is has been great to have had support from TS as I took up the addiction. I also enjoy giving support and encouragement back. It seems like there have bene quite a few of us Noobs start up this season and everyone has made big strides.

Way to go everyone!!!

My new goals....dunno. I want to do the MS150 in April, so I guess I need to be able to do 80 miles in a day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just returned to riding about a month ago..... I have been sticking with the local MUP as I play in with clipless pedals and lack of conditioning.

My goal is always the same, just make it back to the car. ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts

Vail pass.

From Copper mountain to Vail. And back. 22 miles. 7,000 feet of climb. At 10,000 feet in altitude.

THIS WEEKEND!

Did Loveland pass to Brekingridge and Frisco to Copper in the last 2 weeks to prep for it.

Good luck, jeepster93! That's certainly a bit more than a hill. One helluva goal you've got there.

·
Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts

Vail pass.

THIS WEEKEND!

Why just not do the Triple Bypass ? :D I guess cuz it was on mid July?

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Jeepster, you crazy man, I like you, but you crazy.

Can't wait for you to do the climb. I have no hills so I live through yall.

·
348 Posts
Jeepster, you crazy man, I like you, but you crazy.

Can't wait for you to do the climb. I have no hills so I live through yall.
That's right, you're in Houston, probably not too many hills. I'm in North San Antonio so we're sorta into the hill country and even my subdivision is hilly. It's not very fun because it's too small for any long ride and no nice flat stretches. I just realized though, that if I don't have time to load up the bike and do a long trail, I can do some sprints and push up a few hills for even 15-30 minutes and use it for conditioning! I'll hate it at first, but it'll get me in shape pretty fast if I do it.

When you're super busy, it's about carving out time, but also finding the little jewels in your schedule and using them!

·
Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts
I'm in North San Antonio so we're sorta into the hill country and even my subdivision is hilly.
I spent 6 glorious weeks from June-August in San Antonio and only ever saw town once :(

·
Registered
748 Posts
I bruised my bum. Got a black and blue bump right where the saddle meets the sit bone. Hit a bump and wasn't even looking, caught me by total surprise. Almost broke my wrists (it felt like) too.
BOOM.
Will take a couple days off the saddle to allow some healing.
The black and blue bump is exactly where the saddle and sit bone meets, no pain free biking.
Bent the front wheel too.

Just goes to show...LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I found I was able to start a routine by making sure my family understood my cycling time, is "MY cycling time." It was Tuesday and Thursday evenings but some things have shifted so my ride time is Sunday AM and one night a week. This means that no matter what it is that is going on, it waits until I get back, no excuses. Laundry? It waits. Make a phone call? It waits. Dishes? It waits. It seems very odd at first to do this, but it becomes second nature as time goes on.

I do not want to be called, texted etc unless it is an emergency.

Sometimes, time is tight, just due to schedules with doctor appointments, etc etc etc. In this case, I still get my ride time in either on my commute or if I have to take the car to work, I'll bring a bike with me to get a few minutes in during lunch.

I'll also use the bike for errands as well. I've found if I leave my stuff where it is easily accesible (like by the front door) I have less of an excuse to not use the bike.

Finally, ride with someone else. I've found if people are depending on me, I am less likely to back out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts