Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Of course, still in the offing is an etrike conversion. Schwinn Meredian with eZip motor added. Nice cargo space and hanging big SLA batteries below the rear axle will greatly increase stability.

"Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle", Front hub motor would work, but I prefer the re-gearing ability of the EZip gear motor.
Rear sprocket:
16T=20mph
18T=18mph
20T=16mph
22T=14mph
etc.
I've had many requests as mobility devices for nearby Senior housing project.

Ballast!
The main complaint on these bikes is the risk of tipping.
60lb of SLA (24V 35Ah) should help the Schwinn stay upright!.
And ... I get the SLA for, nearly, free.

Also, without the "need" for pedaling, a big comfy seat can be dropped down, further lowering the center of gravity, thus, enhancing stability.
Foot platforms w/outrigger skid pads, or "training wheels", could be added, for additional turning safety, in "Mobility Device" application.
Beats paying $2000-$3000, or more, for other "mobility devices".
Plus the bonus of higher speed, and a cargo basket, for runs to the grocery store, etc.
360° View

As a Mobility Device, crank, pedals etc. could be removed. This would allow the simple addition of floorpan, for setting feet on. The big advantage is that the EZip geared motor could be directly connected to the rear axle, and would act as an effective braking system, when throttle released! Making a regen controller feasible?

Also, I have been recycling 35ah SLA batteries, from the same seniors, using the BatteryMinder rejuvenation process, fairly good success rate of restoring battery capacity-capability.
BatterMinder DeSulphation

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
I just don't get why someone would put a motor on a bicycle.
it boggles the mind

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
eTrike as Mobility device!

I just don't get why someone would put a motor on a bicycle.
it boggles the mind
Well, an eTricycle, ... as a mobility device,
You gain:
Range,
Speed,
Cargo capacity,
over a typical $2500-$3500 "mobility scooter" ... at ~25% the cost!

You can't understand the logic in that?
Damn! ... Looks like grade school math-reasoning, to me ...

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
eTrike

Picked up a cheap eTrike candidate
Kent "Alameda 26" Adult Tricycle." - $149 delivered to nearest Walmart.
Click on Picture

If advertisement redirect causes link to fail
Copy and paste into browser

walmart.com/ip/Alameda-26-Adult-Tricycle/17206769?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

A cheap copy of the Schwinn Meredian? (About 1/2 the price.)
Aluminum frame.
Rear axle is a 5/8" shaft with freewheel and "drum" style brake, (friction band).
Plenty of room for additional 5/8" ID sprocket or freewheel.
Rear wheels have the equivalent of a limited slip differential, unsure of method, but there is no "dragging" around corners and each wheel always receives torque.

Down sides:
Fear of tipping - especially with seat raised into proper pedaling position, there is a feeling of tipping over, at every turn.
Important to slow down and lean body around turns!
Makes me seriously consider slowing down the motorized version ... running at 12V, instead of 24V?

Chain is "tensioned" with a solidly mounted idler sprocket, poor-cheap method.
Might work well to replace with freewheel mounted on motor! ... ?

Will have to mull over some alternatives ... before modification ensues!

Oem handle bars are as wide as a Texas Steer's.
As wide as the rear wheels.
Maybe a track indicator?

·
Registered
55 Posts
A tricycle with a composition like an upright is an oddity in my eyes. When you have three wheels why don't take advantage of it? Building it as an upright seems like a waste of opportunitys

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
A tricycle with a composition like an upright is an oddity in my eyes. When you have three wheels why don't take advantage of it? Building it as an upright seems like a waste of opportunitys
In this case, it's a mobility device. The issue I have is that it's still being referred to as though it's a bicycle, when it clearly is not. When you start adding 60 pound battery packs, you might as well remove the pedals, which is what the OP stated. That's not a bike, or even a trike, at that point.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
26" Alameda Trike

Rear Axle -
Looks to be room for another freewheel!

Chain Idler - Idler sprocket, hanging on end of bolt.

Differential? - left wheel is operated through some type of friction device!
Right wheel is solid, to axle.
Left wheel is capable of light to moderate acceleration-braking.

Attachments

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Freewheel, or Solid Sprocket?

I am torn ...
On the one hand, a motor only "rig" allows lowering the seat, (lower center of gravity reduces tipping danger), and proper footrests.

On the other, a freewheel allows pedal assist, for exercise and climbing hills.

The Alameda is only briefly available, every couple weeks.
If I could grab a 2nd trike it would be much simpler!
Just try both ...

But, I did order components for both builds.
I found a 27T freewheel, allowing ~12mph @24V.
Also ordered 28 & 32 sprockets adaptable to 5/8" adapters.
Still waiting for delivery, so I can "think" a little longer.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Kent Alameda 26" Adult Tricycle

It didn't sell out immediately?
Ouch! ... They bumped the price up to $199.

The Schwinn looks like a better deal ... now. - $269 w/$0.97 shipping.

Picked up a cheap eTrike candidate
Kent "Alameda 26" Adult Tricycle." - $149 delivered to nearest Walmart.
Click on Picture

If advertisement redirect causes link to fail
Copy and paste into browser

walmart.com/ip/Alameda-26-Adult-Tricycle/17206769?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Bargain price on Schwinn Meridian Adult 26-Inch 3-Wheel Bike.
Walmart and Amazon both offering them at $229, with free shipping.

It has a 22T solid rear sprocket. Ideal for mounting an eZip brush, geared motor!
While doing so would disengage the rear drum brake and pedals, it would be held back and slowed down by the geared motor ... stopped with front brake. Available reversing controller for emergency braking and reverse. Additionally the 9T to 22T sprocket ratio would limit 24V speed to a stable 13mph, Ideal for use as a mobility-cargo scooter.

A 36V upgrade would push it right near the "legal" 20mph. Not for the inexperienced - trikes are liable to tip on cures, especially at higher speeds!

Amazon.com

Walmart.com

Price Tracking

·
16 Posts
Sounds good, only thing is with the lead acid battery and the large steel trike frame, the performance may not be too good. Also watch out for those secondary axle freewheels, as we have had bad experiences with those in the past

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sounds good, only thing is with the lead acid battery and the large steel trike frame, the performance may not be too good.
Aluminum, not steel, trike frame.

Also watch out for those secondary axle freewheels, as we have had bad experiences with those in the past
As explained, "secondary axle freewheels" bypassed, for mobility device application. Drive motor connected directly to the 24T sprocket, which is solidly attached to the rear axle ... no freewheel in drive train!. The large rear sprocket supplies + 25% torque and deceleration, via the gear reduction motor.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,152 Posts
Aluminum, not steel, trike frame.

As explained, "secondary axle freewheels" bypassed, for mobility device application. Drive motor connected directly to the 24T sprocket, which is solidly attached to the rear axle ... no freewheel in drive train!. The large rear sprocket supplies + 25% torque and deceleration, via the gear reduction motor.
How much more difficult would it be to mod it to be pedal-assist rather than straight-up electric? I like the idea of pedal-assist a lot because it can help the cyclist improve their fitness level as they run errands and so forth.

Cool info, either way!

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
eAssist Trike

Schwinn Meridian could go as assist.
#1 Add freewheel and 5/8" adapter to rear axle.

#2 Replace motor drive sprocket with small freewheel, mount on tensioned arm and let it run against either of the two drive chains.
Easy, either way.

In a "mobility" function I promoted motor only, as a fine way to lower seat and center of gravity. Also, elderly types would appreciate the stable platform ... and possibly ... mid-mounted anti-tip training wheels.

Attachments

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eTrike w/Pedal Assist

Rather than a tricycle with electric assist, I am building the Schwinn Trike as an electric trike ... with pedal assist.

Yes, there is a difference!
"Electric assist" means that primary and continuous pedaling would be the norm, with occasional, or minimal, motor assist being applied.
"Pedal assist" indicates that the primary and constant force would be the motor, with occasional, or minimal assist being added.

As a mobility device with "pedal assist", the gear reduction motor should be solidly attached to the drive axle, which would provide substantial deceleration when throttle released.
As "electric assist" the gear reduction motor should be attached to the drive train through a freewheel. This would prevent the motor from restricting forward motion when not powered,

Since my primary reason for building an eTrike is as a mobility device I intend on building as an electric trike with pedal assist capability. As such it would have motor only capability but also ... pedal assist for hills, greater speed, exercise etc, additionally .... powered reverse as a simple option.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lovinn the Schwinn!

While my lack of aluminum welding experience is a detriment, my Schwinn "eTrike" build is proving simpler, and better, than I could have hoped!

While my preliminary plans involved sacrificing certain functions - capabilities, a few simple, yet ingenious, mods allow gear reduction motor acceleration-deceleration, while maintaining full brake and pedal function!

Method? Simpler is better!

Pics and plans coming soon.

Prototype will be road ready for Spring.

Bonuses -
Massive battery pack - homebuild from recycled cells
Hybridization! - Cheap, simple add-on module allowing 250+ mile range!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts