Ever have a serious or semi-serious crash?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Road Runner, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

Post 'em if you've had them. :)

I've had three over the years. (1) Went over the handlebars and tore up my shoulder. (2) Lost control of my bike while riding with no hands and broke my left wrist and right tibial plateau. (3) Smashed into a gate and flew through the air, landing on the pavement and broke my pelvis.

Riding a bike is fun! :D

newleaf150 and longjohn like this.
  2. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

Did you just watch Stage 1 of the Tour of Poland?:)

Road Runner and kneedrachen like this.

3. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Well-Known Member

I have. Approximately 10 years ago I was on the BRP heading into a right hand sweeping descent. As I was approaching speed (roughly 30-32 mph) I ran off the right hand road side with a 4-5” drop of the shoulder. I instinctively tried to correct the mistake and hard left sided as if pushed over. I impacted the asphalt full speed and the force of the impact was made by my left shoulder and head.

I slid approximately 60 feet unconscious until coming to a rest on the shoulder where I came to. Dazed and confused I got up and checked my bike and noticed my kit was shredded and I was bleeding pretty good. No one would stop so I had to climb out of the mountain 6 miles to my vehicle.

Suspected torn labrum and road rash down my left side. I never went to the orthopedic surgeon as I knew it could possibly heal on its own or I would forever just be weaker in that shoulder.

It has gotten better in the last decade but at times it catches and I know it.

Also once I had a mailbox jump out and attack me and a laceration down my right index all the way to past my wrist bone that the scar is still there roughly 8” long. Luckily it is on the right hand which I almost cut off in the field 10 years prior to that accident so it is a badge/scar of honor!

4. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Currently recovering with a broken clavicle after a bike crash on July 9th. Had a crash with no injuries in November where another cyclist broad sided me while I was making a left turn. He tried passing me on the left instead of coming around on the right. And a few other minor ones over the past 10 years.

5. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

... And some people wonder why we ride bikes!?! They just don't realize all the fun we are having!!! :D

longjohn and John_V like this.
  6. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Well-Known Member

But the older I get it gets a bit harder for sure.

Road Runner and John_V like this.
  7. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

I’ve had some ticky tack crashes over the years but the worst was a road race on Father’s Day 2007. I drove a teammate/friend to the venue. Some guy went down in front of me for apparently no reason and I had nowhere to go. Broke 6 ribs, separated a shoulder. Ruined my friend’s Father’s Day as we got home at 5 pm after the ambulance to the ER. Shoulder needed surgery. 100% shoulder recovery by 6 months.

John_V and Road Runner like this.
  8. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

I'm reading but not "liking."
    I just can't do it.

I'm thinking there's another thread like this here. Maybe we can merge them?

John_V and rola643 like this.
  9. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Which thread is that???

10. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I've had 2 bad crashes, both on a mountain bike. The first was at Douthat State park on an Epic riding Blue Suck Falls Overlook. It starts with a NASTY switch back climb. All 1800 ft of this climb came in the first 1.2 miles of the ride.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/395655959
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 6.56.08 AM.png

After the climb was an awesome decent. We were moving along, I'm guessing 25 mph +- and I hit a a tree root in an off camber on the decent. Threw me ass over tea kettle. Cost me a BRAND new Garmin 520, so new in fact that Garmin had no replacements for warranty and gave me another brand new one free even tho it was clearly my fault!

Also cost me a pretty new Troy Lee Designs mtb helmet that took a pretty good beating.

And....last but not least a rear flat and as I was tubeless and did not bring a tube I had a long humiliating walk/push the bike home as if the bumps and bruises weren't enough :D Pretty sure there is a post about that somewhere in here.

The other was one of those slow motion, I know it's coming but I got this fails.....Another high speed crash in a nice bermed corner I've done a hundred times before. The front just washed out and some how I managed a high ankle sprain. Foot never came unclipped and just got twisted up on the way down :D One of the most painful things I've done. I had to finish a ride home, luckily it was only a few miles but ended on a short climb that hurt like hell! Dr. said I would have been better off to have broken my ankle and that it would have likely been less painful which I thought and still think sounds odd.

No crashes on a road bike that I'll confess to :D I had one years ago that I called 20-0 in a heartbeat.

And there may have been something like this once that I'd never admit to :D

11. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

In my basketball years, I was famous for spraining my ankles. Terrible pain. They need immediate attention (ice and elevation to lessen the initial internal bleeding). I've always heard that a broken ankle is better than a sprained one, but sprains and breaks come in different degrees/levels. I've never broken an ankle, but it makes sense that it would hurt less than a bad sprain. Bad sprains can hurt like hell for weeks. sad.png

John_V likes this.
  12. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

Just when I thought it'd be smart to try my new 1991 Diamondback Curaca across a huge frozen puddle, about 30 feet long in a parking lot.

newleaf150 and John_V like this.
  13. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

Oh duh and when I crashed out in CX; split my helmet and knocked myself out cold. Concussion protocol for 3 months.

That sucked. To this day reading fatigues me to no end.

John_V likes this.
  14. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

No lo sè but I’ll look around. I just seem to recall reading stories and maybe even posting.

newleaf150 and John_V like this.
  15. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

I’ve had three somewhat serious crashes. Broke the ball off my hip. That was a long recovery but healed well.
    Got ambushed by three deer while descending at high speed. Broke clavicle and scapula and messed up my face.
    Broke some ribs and messed up my shoulder that required surgery. My wife was going to make me a kit out of bubble wrap but never got around to it.

16. BuddyBike

BuddyBike Member

Yikes. Some crazy accidents. I wrecked in 2007 at Interbike Outdoor Demo. I took the wrong trail thinking it was a short way to get back and didn't understand that the dry desert terrain is about as bad as riding on ice. I went over the handlebars, blacked out mid-air, and woke up doing a pile driver into the ground. I heard my spine crunch. I ended up with 3-4 fractures in my spine, a spinal fusion, 10-11 broken ribs, broken sternum and collar bone, and punctured both lungs. 17 days stuck in Vegas hospital and rehab. But all back together as good as ever now.

BTW, I was NOT on a Buddy Bike. (The bike that I manufacture and distribute.) LOL

17. flan48

flan48 Senior Member

Wow, you're very fortunate to survive with no paralysis.

Best regards

Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  18. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

OUCH!!!

BuddyBike and John_V like this.
  19. BuddyBike

BuddyBike Member

I know! I missed by mm and I am grateful every day that the emergency crew and doctors were able to help me. The helmet definitely saved my life, or way of life, and I never even found out what brand it was. I went back to the Outdoor Demo the next year and thanked the emergency personnel for picking me up off the desert floor and keeping me in one piece!

Dos_Ruedas, longjohn and John_V like this.