Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come on boys & girls. Remember that quick decision to push it to 'show them'. Did you kiss the stars or the pavement?
My latest kick is sprints to keep up with snug city traffic. Conditions were right today for the Devinci to shine. Cycling is fun.

·
Offroad Junkie
43 Posts
my cousin did, and it got him a broken finger...lol

we were on a paved trail near the end of our ride, and he decided all of the sudden to turn off the path and go down a hill he had never been down before, he went head over the bars and broke his fall with his head

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
One particular time comes to mind....

Many moons ago, my brother and I went to a nearby State Park for some MTB trail riding. As we mounted our steeds, I noticed a family on the trail, several hundred yards ahead, just disappearing into the forest.
I said to my brother, "let's try to catch & pass them on the downhill and show these Tourists how it's really done!" <warning bells SHOULD have been sounding at this time>

As we reached the beginning of the decent, I saw said tourists nearing the bottom (decent = 200 yards or so) and I took off after them, peddling furiously through the gears.
Now, at the bottom of this hill, there is a "puddle" that we have always skirted around (the trail turns left just after it). I could see a young girl and her Mother making their way just a few yards past the "puddle." Father and son were several yards further along.
I decide that I will bunny hop the puddle (at speed), grab a handful of brake on the other side and whip the rear around in time to dash past them. <thinking, how cool will I be>
Puddle approaches- much faster than ever before.
Bunny hop initiated, perfectly, as planned.
I soar across the puddle and SLAM!!
I didn't make it across! The puddle was ~12" deep on the far side and I hit that wall with the force of a Scud missile! The bike stopped!
This launched me through the small growth forest and then forest floor like an incoming meteor!!
The young girl screamed in terror as small trees snapped as I flew past. I heard gasping as dirt flew into the air as I made my landing.

Groaning, I used a broken sapling to get upright. Moss was hanging from my helmet as my brother gingerly peddled onto the scene grinning like a prom boy out with the Homecoming Queen.
He made it just in time to hear the father ask: "Are you two professionals?"
We roared with laughter (I felt pain from my ribs). Once we regained our composure, I apologized and said "no, professionals wouldn't have done THIS."
I lean down and retrieve my bike from the murky depths. As the muddy water rolls off, I spot the folded front wheel, turn to my brother and say, I guess the ride is over for me.

Although we laugh about this often, it was purely stupid. Nothing but the hand of God kept me from being paralyzed or dead.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Dos,

ROTFLMAO!:D Awesome story! Many moons ago as in, "when we were in our 20's, we're the shiznit and wisdom was for old farts who weren't active anymore?"

Good to know you survived and live to ride another day.

·
Offroad Junkie
43 Posts
nice, story I also did something similar, about 30 years ago, we had a hill (paved road)
that was steep enough to get to about 20 MPH from either side...
this always flooded when it ran and traffic was always diverted, we had a flood guage, pole, that went up to 6 feet I think
but this was far out in the sticks where I lived and growing up

well...see what is coming? I got the bright Idea (of a 11 years old) to race down the hill and hit the water and, in my minds eye, it would make a huge splash and part like the Red Sea

well I hit at about 18~20 MPH and went in just far enough for the front tire on my Huffy BMX to hit the water wall
and over my handlebars I went like I had been launched from a giant sling shot
i drank some muddy water and had to swim back to get my bike
luckily for me there was no one around, as again I said we lived back in the sticks and the population was 6 people per square mile
I didn't learn my lesson then, it took many more dumb acts to learn to steer away from stupidity but after 41 years of living
I can finally say...I am starting to learn

·
889 Posts
Last time I showed off was in 90-91(?) and it was in highschool and I had just gotten my Bianchi Giro with Look pedals. It was infront of a bus stop and let's just say I'm very conscious about unclipping before I stop now...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's this intersection with a downhill run when the light turns green. Zero to 60 lickidy split through lots of gears. Zoom . . . Always makes me feel good.

·
1,393 Posts
Obviously none of you grew up on a farm - my list of stupid things is so long and embarrassing - I could fill several pages - I think boredom as opposed to showing off inspires some really memorable moments although showing off is a close second - like waving to the pretty girl on the sidewalk next to the street I was driving on in my newly painted 1969 Camaro - of course there was a Jeep right in front of me that was stopped - the pieces of my Camaro in the street did not cause me to stop - I think a sidebar to this question is when in our life has reason allowed us to stop doing stupid crazy things - I know my comment is not bike related but i am too embarrassed to share the one that sticks out most in my mind although there are several - I grew up when banana seats & homeade jump ramps were a popular method of future birth control - I am just thankful I am still alive !

·
1,393 Posts
Kids today that ZONE out in front of their computer games only get killed or injured MAKE-BELIEVE - it might be safer but I wouldn't give up a single moment of all the stupid things - at least I got lucky & was never seriously injured

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,135 Posts
Yes...showing off. Lol.

Shortly after getting my first MTB following the theft of my ss BMX, I discovered that gears + strong legs allow one to ride wheelies much faster than can be achieved on a BMX. As it turns out, this is not necessarily a good thing.

Family went out for a walk with my younger bro and I on our bikes. Came to a long, straight gravel road. I started practicing my wheelie-riding and caught a perfect one in a much higher gear than usual. Awesome! Balance was perfect, and I just kept riding it and riding it, picking up speed all the while. SO impressive in my mind, and better still because younger bro couldn't even pop a wheelie, much less ride one. This was easily shaping up to be my longest wheelie ever, and I was stoked!

Overbalanced at last and started to tip backwards. No problem! I stepped off the back just like always...to discover just how fast I'd gotten moving. My right foot hit the ground and was snatched away just as the left came down and was similarly torn from under me. I slammed face-down onto the gravel and slid, eventually tumbling. For ever and ever. The bike somehow hit me in the back of the head and things got very confused and painful.

I ended up impressively bloody, with road rash on the backs of both hands and one palm. Also on my elbows, knees, lower legs and thighs. Oh, one shoulder and my back, too. I'd like to say my pride was most injured, but I didn't have to spend hours pulling imbedded rocks out of my pride :mad: to make matters worse, my parents, having witnessed the whole debacle, used it as a reason (amongst others I may have inadvertently provided) to implement a manditory helmet rule for any and all cycling.

Take care when you set out to impress someone. You may succeed beyond your wildest dreams, but still end up very unhappy...

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,135 Posts
rear brake, man! rear brake!
Great answer! I actually did try that on a wheelie shortly after I got the bike - modulation, modulation, modulation. I didn't have any, squeezed a bit hard and opened a nice gash on my chin when it slammed into the stem after the front tire came down...FAST. As you may have guessed, I wasn't particularly graceful in making the transition from coaster to hand-operated brakes.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,135 Posts
Oh my. Knee's brake comment reminds me of my very first ride on a cycle equipped with hand brakes. It involved showing off and a whole range of unpleasant sensations.

As a young (>10) kid, I spent the night at a buddy's house and found an adult-sized delta trike in the garage. My friend lived just past the end of a major hill, and loved pushing the trike to the top so he could coast down. It was probably 1/4mi of 10-15% grade. Much steeper than anything I had access to. Sweet!

He and I got busy and pushed that bad-boy trike all the way to the top of the hill. I talked him into letting me steer, so I sat on the seat while he crouched in the cargo basket behind me. Helmets? Nope. What could possibly go wrong?

A little push and we were off, picking up speed FAST. Quite exhilirating. By the time we hit the bottom of the hill, we were flying. As we blasted past his house, both his parents waved from the front yard. I decided a nice, long skid was in order.

Unfortunately, the trike was equipped with hand brakes. I'd never used such things, being a coaster-brake kid. My friend had explained that you just squeeze the brake lever to stop. I reached out, grabbed a handful of lever, and SQUEEZED for all I was worth.

All at once, I was tumbling, first through the air and then, much more painfully, over the pavement. Then the trike landed on top of me and I heard my friend screaming bloody murder. About then I realized I was screaming, too.

As it happens, I had missed one small but important detail of hand-braking: no one ever mentioned that there's a difference between the brake lever on the left, and the one on the right. My BMX bike only had a rear coaster-brake. I'm left-handed. The rest...follows.

Because my friend was in the cargo basket behind me, he got catapulted...flew a good 15-20ft before coming down on pavement at a high rate of speed :eek: His road rash was far worse than mine, but I took the cake in bruises, having cushioned the trike's tumble with my body.

For some reason, that was the last time I was invited to sleep over with that family.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts