Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, I need a new form of cardiovascular exercise. I just got back from a 6 mile run and my knees are killing me, so I think I gotta switch sports. It was either this or swimming and I suck hardcore at swimming. I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing with a bike. I mean I can ride one (who can't?) but I have no idea how to do it correctly. Google told me that a road bike suits runners best, and honestly an occasional competition (like 6 or 8 a year) would be kinda fun, but they didn't tell me why. So I guess my one major question is where do I start? A bike obviously, but do I really need to spend $700 at the bike shop or will last years $250 eBay version work? That and any other tips would help. Thanks!

·
242 Posts
ok I just joined this yesterday been riding a total of 6 wks but I bought a $50 bike from craigs list and new it was only $100 but it was new still had the tags on it. but as far as knees go oh yes i have had total knee replacement and have had both my knees crushed.. I have a hard time walking from one end of wal mart to the other but i can ride for miles and miles so yep i'd say go for the bike.. I can keep from drowning and that's about it.. spent 2 hrs in the pool today I figure I get credit because i kept moving haha. good luck

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Good bike shops will have bikes at almost all price ranges. They won't have the $100 Walmart specials for a good reason. They have to work on them and Wal mart won't. In fact the assembly at Wal mart can make a borderline bike in the first place even worse.

The first question you need to ask yourself is, "Where am I going to ride this bike?" If you are going to ride on the roads, then a road or hybrid bike would be my first choices. There are some others your local bike shop can tell you about. As far as price, my local bike shop has a number of choice at the $250 price range that not only are new bikes with a guarantee, but the shop provides free lifetime adjustments. The bike shop should let you test ride the bike before you buy it as well. They should help you get close with the fit as well. That you won't get with ebay.

Now ebay does have value and if you are knowledgeable and experienced, there can be some buys there, but for new buyers the knowledge of the local bike shop is well worth the price.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
A good bike shop, with knowledgeable staff will certainly make finding the right bike for you much easier. The problem is that not all bike shops have competent staff. You can like to ride bikes, or you could be great at sales, but neither of those qualities benefit customers, especially new cyclists.

Budget considerations, riding goals/intentions, and fit are the key things here. Before you set foot in a shop, determine what you are willing to spend. It may very well be that your budget won't accommodate the bike you want or need. What will you do then? Revise your budget, seek out a used one, or look online for something more affordable? Whatever you do, don't feel pressured into spending too much. It's not like they only have that one bike at that price, and it will be gone tomorrow. And I guarantee you, someone in your city/town spent a lot on a bike that they rarely rode, and is listing it on Craigslist at a very reduced price.

Do you want to ride just for fitness, or get really competitive? Are your roads beat up or smooth? Will you be climbing hills, or do you live in a flat state? Will the bike be used for commuting? Running errands? Maybe a little shopping? Or strictly sport?

Fit should not be overlooked either. People come in all sizes and shapes. Torso length, arm length, leg length, and flexibility all need to be considered when it comes to fit. Just finding a bike that doesn't smack your crotch when you come to a stop isn't enough. Whether you ride for fun or competition, you'll want your seat at the right height, with the fore/aft set properly, and your handlebars will need to be at the proper height, along with the correct stem length. Rarely does any bike fit perfectly out of the box.

But we're here to help, and make it all easy to understand. :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Dubgurl, I started out my cardio exercise by walking/jogging because the doctor said I needed too, and like you it was killing my knees. I switched over to a bike and it was one of the best health decisions I think I've ever made. I jogged because I had or needed too, I ride because I want too.

I don't know your financial situation so your question about $700 vs $250 isn't one I want to answer. However, if you can afford a nicer bike you won't regret it. I've learned (the hard way) that with most things in life you generally get what you pay for, so I tend to opt for the best quality I can afford at the time, or wait till I can afford the nicer.

If you give us a price range that you can afford to spend I think we could better help you find something that meets your needs. For instance a $700 Hybrid would be a very nice bike, but a $700 road bike would be entry level.

As Hack said, we're here to help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help so far. It's pretty nice to come into a forum and not get "Why are you here if you don't know this?"

-Poolie, My financial situation is; college student with $150,000 in debt lol. So the cheapest I can get that is going to last me about 3 years. I have an $80 Wal-Mart special that will get me to and from class but I wouldn't want to ride it much more than that.

-Hack, I want something I can use on the roads (which are not too bad if you find the ones they dump money into.) My boyfriend is into cycling so I'd imagine it's going to wind up in like I said 6-8 competitions/tours a year. And as far as the hills in North West Ohio, well imagine a sheet of paper sitting on your desk that's about the topography we have here. And like I say it's going to be used strictly for fitness/competition, I've got the old beater that I can use for commuting. And as far as fit goes, I'd imagine with a couple wrenches and a screwdriver a lot of parts are upgradeable, so I'd really only be limited by the frame.

Again thanks for all the help

·
12,350 Posts
I'd look at used bikes, or something from Bikesdirect. If your boyfriend knows a bit about bikes, he can assist with determining quality and helping out with fit.

Do you have a dollar amount in mind?

·
12,350 Posts
$400 would get you a new bike from Bikesdirect, but it would require a bit of assembly. Not sure what your local shop carries in that price range, but it would be either a hybrid or MTB, not a road bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got a Raleigh Eva 3.0 mountain bike for $350 from Orange Cycle here in Central Florida. I love it. I was so happy to upgrade from my old Target bike into something that fit me right and that is quality.

Definitely find a local shop that is knowledgeable and can help you find the fit that's right for you. Shop around, don't just settle on something unless you are comfortable and happy. I did that and when I found the Eva, I knew it was the one. If a shop doesn't respect you, walk out. Irregardless of whether you are going to buy there or not, if you tell them you are looking, they should spend some time with you so you can ride and try different ones out.

Good luck! I used to be a runner myself, and now I power walk due to herniating my back last year. Cycling has become my "speed sport." :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts