Exposure Lights

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Xela, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

With the days slowly getting shorter, I'm soon going to pull the trigger and buy a new headlight. I'm almost certainly going to get one of the models from Exposure Lights. I'm leaning towards the Toro or a couple of Joysticks.

Anybody have anything negative to say about Exposure Lights? They seem to get great reviews, and I really like their all-in-one design without a separate battery pack.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I know nothing about them. But I can't believe they would use such a frequently misquoted comment in their marketing efforts.

3. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

DUDE those are some expensive lights yo.

4. Industry_Hack

For the output, they're reasonable priced. My 180L retails at $300, and Exposure offers more than 3x the light at 2/3 the price.

5. Xela

Yeah, I originally had a friend in the UK recommend them to me. When I first looked them up, I only found the prices in Pounds. Doing the conversion gave me sticker shock. However, the prices on the US website are somewhat cheaper than the straight conversion indicated. As Hack said, based on similar products, I do think the US prices are fairly reasonable.

I'm going to be buying one soon, I'm just deciding on the model I want. I'll post a full review on here once I get some miles with it.

6. Industry_Hack

You should get a media pass and go to Interbike... ;)

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

"Don't let anyone tell you that you can't have your cake and eat it too!"

You talking about this one? Physical impossibilities are not good marketing strategies.

8. Industry_Hack

The actual saying is "Eat your cake and have it too".

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

So then your issue is using it improperly? Did you wan to contact them and berate them or should I? I'll ave a little free time this afternoon. I over scheduled and am debating going home, or writing angry letters.

10. Industry_Hack

No, I just went over another manager's head on a pretty critical issue. Now I'm taking the rest of the day off, before someone comes looking for me.

11. Xela

I ordered the Strada. Should be here next week. I'll give it a good write-up after a few rides. So, it's been a pretty good day for bike accessories since my custom Jawbones arrived, too. :cool:

Nice having an anniversary and birthday in the same month, as the wife is much more likely to approve frivolous bike spending. :thumbsup:

12. Xela

First ride with the light

As I said, I ordered the Strada. Extremely pleased after the first ride on it. Since 97-100% of my riding in the dark will be on the road, I went with the headlight they developed for road riding. And as with all Exposure lights, the light is self-contained with internal batteries.

DSC_0021.jpg

Two things make it more specific to road riding. 1) The beam is wider than their other lights which is really nice for lighting up the shoulders and ditches. I think that could be very useful in a situation where perhaps an animal was about to dart out in front of you. 2) It has a high/low setting where the low is actually angled downwards, which means it's not in the eyes of oncoming motorist. Another nice feature associated with this is the external switch (see below) that can be mounted on your bars near where you rest your hands, allowing you to switch between high and low without taking your hands off the bars. I noticed this morning that all but one oncoming motorist who were approaching me with their bright lights on dimmed them when I switched the light to the low setting.

DSC_0003.jpg

The switch on the light is actually backlit, and the color of the backlight is your battery indicator. The color changes from green to amber to red to red flashing to let you know the amount of charge remaining. The plug near the switch, where the external switch plugs, can also be used for plugging in extra batteries for longer burn time or Exposure's rear 80 lumen taillight. With regards to burn time, the claimed times for this light are 3 hours on high/10 on low/ and "days" on flashing. I haven't verified these numbers yet.

DSC_0006.jpg

The aluminum quick release mount is also high quality and the lights come with a nice carrying case.

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

The light is claimed to put out 480 lumens on high and half that on low. The light was more than bright enough for even the darkest roads, and even on a 40 mph + descent, I never felt like I was going to outrun my light.

So, after my first ride with the Exposure Strada, I give the light a :D and :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010