Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Pedaling Old Man
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ride through as much weather as possible because I really find it hard to get on the trainer in front of the TV. So,...tell me what everyone wears for the Fall and then Winter months? I was looking at
Performance Radiator Tights with Chamois<H2 class=tab_box_h2>What does everyone think? Will they be warm enough?

</H2>

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
I can't say cuz there is no way in he!! I'd be riding in Michigan in the winter. It was 47* with a little drizzle and wind here today and I froze. Mostly my toes since I decided to wear only toe covers. I did ride in the 30's last winter and seriously doubt I will do it again this winter...but maybe that's just me getting old :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Ok so I see it but it's only about what he's going to write about :(

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I ride some in the winter, I use layers under socks and then wool socks, I like insulated bibs in the cold keeps my back from getting cold, I use compresin ware shirt then a flece jacket and a wind braker / rain ware on top. I use glove liners and a pair of leather gloves that have thinsulate. For a hat I use a hard hat liner under my helmet. And when it snows I get the old Huffy single speed out.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'm wearing pants over padded shorts. I roll my pants up to just below my knees. They are a little bit stretchy soft shell type pants with lots of pockets. I'll wear tights under them and/or roll them down to my ankles (cinched with velcro straps) when it gets colder. For rain or snow, I'll wear rain pants over pants over tights or rain pants over tights if it's not too cold. I need new boots. I have pedals that are clipless on one side and platform on the other that I'm planning to put on my foul weather bike.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm headed out with the wife for the day but will post the ones I got Friday and wore on my century yesterday. They might not be good enough for Michigan cold, but felt really good in the low 40's. Probably would work down to freezing.

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Layers. Yesterday was upper 30's and overcast, I did long tights under bike shorts, wool socks, head band. And plan a ride that doesn't go too far from home, some part of you gets cold sooner than the rest.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I'll crack the whip, and get him to write them all in a day. Wait, no one writes 4-5 articles in a day. Except for me. :eek:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_aUMMcTEu4"]Whip sound effect (2) - YouTube[/ame]

Ouch! OK...OK....I'm working on it. Crappy weekend with very little riding and no writing, but I should have the base layer article done soon. It's not like I'm too busy at work today anyway.

·
Pedaling Old Man
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought them...love them!!!

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
For me it's a skiers shell pants. But then it doesn't get as cold here as in other parts of the world. Makes me wonder; I don't think I have seen anyone on this forum who isn't from the US. Am I just being unobservant?

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
I commuted to work this morning, it was 33 on the front porch when I left. I rode 12 miles, the only problem was the fog. I wear under armour leggings(cold gear) and my cycling shorts over top, under armour (cold gear) tor, long underwear turtle neck top and cycling jacket. I have a this skull cap on under my helmet. 2 pair of socks and winter gloves.
I had quite a few looks from people in cars at red lights. Oh I wonder what they were thinking when they saw a 53 year old man on a bike at this temperature, but I was toasty warm.

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
I commuted to work this morning, it was 33 on the front porch when I left. I rode 12 miles, the only problem was the fog. I wear under armour leggings(cold gear) and my cycling shorts over top, under armour (cold gear) tor, long underwear turtle neck top and cycling jacket. I have a this skull cap on under my helmet. 2 pair of socks and winter gloves.
I had quite a few looks from people in cars at red lights. Oh I wonder what they were thinking when they saw a 53 year old man on a bike at this temperature, but I was toasty warm.
Good on ya! Who cares what the lazy slobs think :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
There's a new article posted about winter wear here. Comments welcome.
That's a pretty impressive writer you have on staff now! Nice Job Alex! Can't wait for the one that covers (get it hehehe-sorry) toesies :eek:

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
That's a pretty impressive writer you have on staff now! Nice Job Alex! Can't wait for the one that covers (get it hehehe-sorry) toesies :eek:
I'm a pretty fussy writer, (personally edited over 2,000 technical documents for our company's knowledge base) so for me to accept another contributor for my site is a huge deal. I appreciate the fact that Alex is both knowledgeable and passionate about cycling, and his articles rarely need anything more than a quick proofing. While my title may be "editor", I really don't want to spend my time editing other people's work.

If that engineering gig doesn't work out, he's got potential for a high-paying career as a writer. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts