Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Come on, Poolie. Where have you been? Everything that goes wrong is somebody else's fault.

No only is this totally stupid, but I don't understand how he was going for a KOM lead on the descent. I read Fat Cyclist say that Strava pretty much assures that you'll never enjoy a ride again, but I didn't know it was deadly. :rolleyes:

“His family basically wants justice for him." What a joke! His family basically wants money for themselves.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Had he never done this course before, maybe! He obviously knew the course and it's dangers, if he was trying to regain his old title. This seems like another crap law suit like the lady that sued Mac Donald's after spilling hot coffee on her lap when she put the coffee cup between her legs and drove off. But then again, she won.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I understand why a party should not sell boiling hot drinks in flimsy cups out of a drive-thru, coffee that is way too hot to drink. The burns suffered were not minor. I suppose there was contributory negligence though. Can she sue the car company for selling a vehicle without cup holders?

The dead guy will not suffer if issued a posthumous speeding ticket nor he will benefit from a spurious lawsuit. If his family wishes to call public attention to his bad decision, if that is the justice they seek, I find it cold hearted.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
My biggest issue with the Mac Donald's lawsuit was the fact that this was not the first cup of coffee that this lady ever drank, regardless of how hot it was. Common sense, which too many people lack nowadays, tells you that HOT IS HOT. And even if the coffee wasn't as hot as it was, she was still going to suffer burns to some degree. At some point, we have to quit blaming everyone else for our bad decisions and take responsibility for our own actions. Like everyone else on this planet, I've made bad choices, in my 65 years, that has injured me in the past. Not once, have I never considered suing someone else for my bad choices. Maybe it's a generation gap thing. I don't know!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Common sense would preclude the sale of boiling hot coffee to motorists while they are driving! Someone who does that need to take responsibility for his or her own actions. If just following orders, complying with a corporate policy, the corporation is guilty as well.

Should McDonalds be held responsible for the obesity of their regular customers? Yes.

Selling unhealthy food is wrong and those doing so should take responsibility for their own decisions and be held liable for the consequences.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
And yet, no one is forcing these obese people to go into any of the fast food places and eat this unhealthy food when they are told repeatedly that their food is not good for you. Getting hit repeatedly on the head with a hammer will cause some severe damage. But is the person who is swinging the hammer to blame or the person that just stands there and allows it to continue? The person swinging the hammer can swing it all day without doing any injury, if there is no one standing under the hammer. Fast food places thrive because there are people that buy their product, even if they know it's not healthy and is directly related to their obesity.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I was brought up to take responsibility for my actions. Maybe you weren't. It could be a generational thing.

Hitting someone in the head with a hammer is against the law where I live.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Well we agree that Strava is not at fault, though I would suggest all of us who measure and log our average speeds take this as a lesson. Be careful out there!

·
Two skinny J's
21,184 Posts
Good deal, let's move along and not to distracted :)

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Hitting someone in the head with a hammer is against the law where I live.
Getting hit on the head with a hammer was an analogy my dad used to say, "If you don't want to get hit on the head, don't stand under the guy with the hammer."

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Industry_Hack said:
I ride for fun.
See that's the problem. You are only supposed to ride for cardboard checks, KOMs and cheek smooches from models. How could you not know that????

Strava:
Absolutely tragic horrible thing that happened. We've lost another cyclist, and that's terrible. Youve got to feel for the family.

Could it have been prevented? Who knows, one variable changes in that ride and we probably arent discussing this.

Should the segment even exist? Probably not, but then is that a form of censorship if it (and ones like it) gets removed? I think it's insane to chase KOMs downhill, other people may feel its perfectly fine.

I will admit, I chase KOMs all the time, however they are always uphill. I couldn't imagine leaving my 10-month- old daughter and wife without a father/husband because of a decision I made on my bike. My wife has made me swear to her I will never do that now that we've got our newest roommate.

McDonalds:
That woman should have been sued for her inability to escape being clueless. Unless you order iced coffee, 99/100 times it's coming hot to scalding and you can't be dumb enough to think otherwise. now mcd's MAY have been responsible for the lid being in tight, but honestly, who is stupid enough to put a fresh cup of coffee between their legs and drive off? The case should've been laughed out of court.

Starbucks gives you water hot enough to melt your tongue for tea. It took me ONE order a few years back to learn to always let it breathe.

I felt the cup, it almost hurt my hand to hold let alone drink, and yet I made the decision to take a sip. Pretty stupid on my part. You're telling me this person couldn't feel how hot it was with her legs? Even if you've got pants on you can feel it.

Same thing happened at home when my wife made chicken broth from the stock (its been great for my low back disc issues). You have to boil it to drink it. She serves me up a fresh mug, i take a swig, the BLAHHHH!!! I spit it out because it scalds my tongue.

She didn't warn me, it was implied it was hot. Did I sue her? No because it was my decision. Could I have? I probably could have and won, and thats pretty pathetic.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
You're right. I assumed my wife wasn't trying to cash in early on my life insurance policy.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
This whole social networking competition thing is stupid; ridiculously stupid. I think Strava appeals to the hidden egomaniacal narcissistic person in our psyche. We all have it. Its what has driven the species. Anyway, I think Strava sucks you in, the way facebook sucks you in, it garners competition and bragging over "friends" you do not know.

Personal stupidity? Yes. Responsibile assessment of risk vs. benefit? Not in my opinion. Frivolous lawsuit? IMHO, yes and no. Yes it is frivolous but at the same time, I think a product designed to social engineer its users is, well, evil.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Wow, I do use Strava and have participated in a few of the local KOM's. Competitive spirit in me I guess. a note: I only use the ASCENT KoM it never even occurred to me to do descent.

As far as my thoughts on this lawsuit? Not shocked at all, but certainly in the crowd that calls it stup. Err, I mean frivolous.

Call me naive, but I hardly feel the Strava app was designed to be a Social engineering tool. I feel it is just a clever commodity for sale in a niche market. Never been one to worry about the diabolical evil geniuses conspiracy theories.

All that said I still feel bad for the family of the deceased. Pray they find the peace they are searching for in the correct manner vs the empty litigation efforts they are currently using.

·
1,200 Posts
well judging only by the posted artical, i go with the personal accountability. No one made him do the ride or break the speed limit. I don't see how you could hold strava accountable for an idividuals decisions. thats like holding youtube responsible for someone watching a rock climbing or a base jumping video and deciding to do it, with it resulting in a horrible accident.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
well judging only by the posted artical, i go with the personal accountability. No one made him do the ride or break the speed limit. I don't see how you could hold strava accountable for an idividuals decisions. thats like holding youtube responsible for someone watching a rock climbing or a base jumping video and deciding to do it, with it resulting in a horrible accident.
Careful bone you just gave a bunch of people a new idea for a lawsuit;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts