Fat Tire Ale

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Jenjabread, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Jenjabread

Jenjabread Guest

What's better than a beer dedicated to a bike? Having a beer while on a bike?

Any of you had Fat Tire Ale? Its got a earthy, caramel, buttered-toast taste with just a twinge of lemon. I'm quite a fan.

2. bikerider

bikerider Guest

Is there a story behind the naming of that beer

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

4. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I had my first one the other day, sadly I had bought a mixed 6 pack and only had one. The next beer purchase will be a sixer of Fat Tire. Outstanding beer, I would recommend it.

5. Gomez

Gomez Member

The 1554 is also quite tasty!

6. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

Great beer! The neon signs would make great additions to any bike themed man room. Problem is they're so dang expensive!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

You can get knock offs on ebay for around $150.00.

8. milkmandan

milkmandan Guest

Is it possible to make your own neon sign with rope light?

9. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Nectar of the Gods! I also like their "Skinny Dip"

10. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

Anyone ever had La follie by new belgium?

11. michaelangelo

michaelangelo Guest

Yeah I've had it and I dig it!
    What is a mixed 6 pack?

12. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

A six pack that is a mix of different beers instead of six of the same kind

13. Grape Ape

Exactly, at the grocery store here they have a six pack cardboard carrier that you can load with what you want. It works out great for me. I may only drink a beer one week then nothing for 2-3 weeks then drink another so to try numerous different beers I would have to buy a 6 pack then finish it then buy another of a different style. This way I get 6 different beer to try. The last mix was sort of bad, I have found I am not much of a fan of Wheat beers. But the Fat Tire Ale was so good I broke tradition and bought me a full 6 pack of it. I have already drank 3 out of it and 2 were drank in one day, I am a party animal..:p

14. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

whoever thought up the build your own six pack thing is a hero of mine :D

And to stay on topic, they are finally starting to get the new cans of fat tire at the liquor stores here. I was wondering when I'd start seeing those.

15. Grape Ape

Woohoo. I just got done talking to my sister. She advised me that her husband's cousin just married someone that runs, owns, or works for New Belgium Brewing. I am trying to earn some points and get some cool free stuff.

16. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Fat Tire is the new standard by which all beers in my future must be measured.

I received a bottle from a buddy as a 'welcome-home' gift when I returned to my old work location (temporary transfer and significant injury, 8 months away). I still have the empty bottle as a memento.

I've been told 1554 is good by this same bud; I'll find out soon. So far, after about three months of frantic taste-testing and brand-switching, there are a couple of Samuel Adams beers that come CLOSE, but still don't match Fat Tire. (Irish Red and Dunkelweisen, btw)

17. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I am about as big a beer fan, as I am a cycling fan but I haven't had the Fat Tire Ale. I have looked all over Boston and the surrounding areas for it. If anyone in the New England area knows where I can find some, please let me know. Everything I have heard about it has been great.

18. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Nothing east of Indiana or north of Tennesee and North Carolina.
    New Belgium Libation Location | New Belgium

19. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

That is truly bad news you have brought me, but I appreciate the info none-the-less.