Fatigue issue! Legs still wont recover

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by MikeCaldwell, Sep 11, 2010.

1. MikeCaldwell

MikeCaldwell New Member

Hey all! Just wanted to start by saying i am a BMX racer. I train in the gym, on the spin bike and stationary bike. Ive been doing this type of high volume training since March. I felt some harsh fatigue and cramping @ the end of April. I had a 7 Day rest soon after and i felt so FRESH! Leight legs, no cramping , no soreness , lap after lap i still felt strong. Last week of May and middle of June was my peak training with a 2 week taper. Basically, to make a Long story short after my peak training. I have not felt FRESH @ all ever since. Ive been resting and racing... and winning! The trainer says if its just my legs they should be fine and if im winning the fatigue is not that severe. Just 2 weeks ago before my big race i tryed getting back into the gym with some very leight work. I can still feel the fatigue... Even when i walk up the stairs.
    I am getting back into full time training in 2 - 3 weeks or so. Anyone have any input?
    Thanks, Mike

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Consult a doctor or a sports nutritionist. Sounds like you might have some sort of deficiency.

3. Gandalfe

Gandalfe '57 Schwinn Wasp

+1 Apparently most guys don't think stuff like that is serious enough to get checked out by the doctor. It is. Get the best doctor you can afford.

4. MikeCaldwell

MikeCaldwell New Member

I forgot to mention. I did see my doctor to take a blood test. Everything came back fine. That makes me confused even more...Because i def. aint in a different world. I do feel fatigue and i really have lost some power. Kids that i usually smoke on the track r even with me if not beating me( only by a hair ).

5. Industry_Hack

I don't think they can check your nutrition through your blood. And it's just your legs that feel like crap, or is it an all-over thing?

6. awinter

awinter No longer a newb!

Sounds like chronic over training to me. I come from a body building background and have some perspective on this. The following article may be of some use; see if anything applies to you. +2 on getting checked out by a doctor educated in sports related issues. Hope this helps.

Link: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/overtraining-causes.html

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  7. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Eat Banana's, lots of Banana's

I had two after my ride yesterday

8. JK13

JK13 New Member

Get your lab results from your doctor and check out what they say. Just because you're "with in" range based on the LAB'S ranges, that doesn't necessarily mean that you're okay or healthy. I have medical issues that require monitoring with blood tests every other month, and fortunately have a doctor that reads the results and makes his own determinations based on my situation rather than just going off the Lab's ranges for "normal". If you're on the low or high end of the sectrum for "normal", that may not be "normal" for your body.

Check out the sports injury website, too. The human body is a complex machine, and we can't expect one doctor to know absolutely everything about it.

9. Industry_Hack

My wife saw a new doctor last week, and they did some blood work. When she called for the results, they mentioned her glucose was high, and asked if she's been checked for diabetes.

She been type 1 for nearly 28 years. I still think you have a deficiency that's not going to show up in a blood test.

10. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

I'm type two for 15 20 years.

Just have to read/know everything that goes in your mouth.

But type one is hell. How old is your wife?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  11. Industry_Hack

My wife is almost 31. She was in the hospital on her 7th birthday, getting diagnosed.

12. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

I'm sure it's been a very hard life but she has the will to live.

Man-o-man

13. Bern

Bern New Member

Recovery time

Everything I know about training is from mountaineering or cycling books written by pros. Both of these sources agree that you become stronger during the recovery phase of training. It is during this phase that muscle rebuilds itself to stand up to the required effort. Both sources make a big deal of nutrition for the recovery phase as well as enough time for recovery. In cases of severe overtraining it may actually take many weeks to properly recover. Get a hold of "Long Distance Cycling" by Burke and Pavelka, with long sections on nutrition and training.