Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning to see the signs of fall arrive. Squirrel season has started here so hunters moving in the woods have the deer beginning to run around here. I saw 18 on my 45 miler this morning.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Thanx for starting such a great topic! My ABSOLUTE favorite time of the year,temps finally start to cool down, football starts, baseball playoffs, hockey, racing season winding down. The sights and sounds of a crisp fresh fall day! The rustling of the leaves and the best holidays of the year roll around! I love a fall sky.

Some of the best rides I do are in the fall, they tend to be the most enjoyable. Group rides slow down a skosk

One of my work mates hates it! He says to him it represents the end, death like. I can't comprehend that idea..well ok I see where he is going with it. he loves the spring and the heat of summer, things I despise. I suppose I hate the heat as I have to work in it, oh well.

·
348 Posts
There's things I love about every season, and it has changed with where I was living at the time.
There's nothing like lazy summer days, hanging at the neighborhood pool with the kids, fresh tomatoes and watermelon that taste like sunshine. But being back in Texas now, I really don't enjoy the heat that makes outdoor activities like biking and hiking almost unenjoyable.

Then there's spring - when I lived in Atlanta, you could predict the sequence of the blooms - forsythia, Bradford pears then daffodils up through the glory of the dogwoods and azaleas.

We spent three years outside Toronto and I loved the quiet beauty of the snow covered neighborhood. I could sit and watch it coming down, enjoying a fire and cup of something nice and warm (until time to go out and shovel!). I'd even hike in the little woods near us.

But, ah! Maybe because I'm an October baby, I've always loved Fall. Here, in Texas, we joke that we have two seasons, Hot and Less Hot. So when we get that first crisp morning, I get rejuvenated after months of feeling limp and wilted. I'm ready to take on the world and am able to get out and be more active. Alive!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I like them all.

Winter-I'm a bona fide Christmas freak and find fresh snow that blankets everything to be beautfiul. Hot chocolate, gingerbread cookies and hot, hot lasagna.
Fall- That smell of crisp air, not warm and humid but not too cool. The sound of the leaves as they blow along the ground and the browns and oranges of the fields
Summer- Um Slurpees and a Watermelon anyone? The beach, fireflies and the sound of the insects at night.
Spring- I think Spring is a magical time of year, I really do. There's an awakening all around you. One of my favorite times of Spring on campus during college was the first warm day. It was such a busy day; frisbee on the green, outside classes for the first time of the year and the women wearing skirts when they were embarassed by their white legs and sweatshirts tied around waists as you feel the sun's warmth on your arms for the first time in months.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,201 Posts
I enjoy aspects of all 4 seasons, and love that here in CO, we actually get all 4, unlike many places I've lived.

Spring is great for the promise of new life, temps rising into the reasonable range more frequently, and all the great scents. Seeing all the baby animals is great, as is the ability to once again cycle in shorts. Spring rules.

Summer is great all around. Hotter, but not enough to keep me out of the saddle. Long days can equal long rides. Heat chases many users away from the local MUPs, leading to better rides for those who are properly-hydrated and unafraid of higher temps. Summer rules.

Fall brings relief from summer's heat with the promise of winter. Here in CO, it also brings the fall color as the leaves of aspens, cottonwoods and other deciduous trees change color in a series of magnificent displays I will someday get to enjoy from my saddle: still working on getting into the mountains proper for some serious roadie work. Can't wait to make it happen. Fall rules.

Winter brings cold and lots of it, but that's what protective gear is for. The local MUPs largely clear out when temps drop into the sub-50s, even though they are plowed every time it snows significantly. I love the way snow utterly changes a landscape. I love the looks I get from the few other users out, almost all of whom are heavily-bundled pedestrians, when I roll by. The feeling of companionship I feel with the few other winter cyclists I see is just awesome. It's good to be crazy, sometimes. Winter rules.

Ultimately, I love seeing the progression from one season to the next. It's wonderful to get/be out experiencing the weather day to day rather than huddling inside in the heat/AC of one's house/car. Every season brings with it positive and negative aspects. I try to focus on the benefits gained and detrments shed with each change of season. They'll roll around whether we like it or not; may as well focus on the benefits of a change which is totally beyond our ability to control.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Great thread Hazy!

I love Fall. The cooler temps, the color in the leaves, the smell of the leaves once they're on the ground (there should be a man's cologne made of that smell). Campfires in the back yard, what's not to love? The only thing I don't like is the shorter days but that's a small price to pay.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
DChapman is right on about Texas weather/seasons. My personal favorite time is October. During that month the weather is always nearly perfect. The humidity is down, the temps are down, air is moving, it is nice. This will be my first fall season cycling, but I look forward to the more comfortable weather.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,552 Posts
This is my favorite time of year. From now until those first cold November rains I'm going to be running my ass off. Everything seems to change this time of year for me. Even what music I enjoy listening to.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
kneedrachen said:
Question. for those of you that have lived up North, how is Christmas/Holiday season where it is warm? I cannot imagine celebrating the holidays around palm trees while wearing shorts. . . .
It never really feels like the holidays. I used to live in Wisconsin and Michigan. It felt like it then. Also in Oklahoma we got some good snow.

·
348 Posts
I love how sentimental we all are about the seasons, everyone waxing poetic...

·
348 Posts
kneedrachen said:
Question. for those of you that have lived up North, how is Christmas/Holiday season where it is warm? I cannot imagine celebrating the holidays around palm trees while wearing shorts. . . .
Having grown up a Southerner, you kind of get used to wearing a sweater one year and shorts and a tshirt the next. I'd never had a white Christmas until our first Thanksgiving in Toronto. It stayed on the ground until we left to fly to Texas for Christmas. It was magic, especially watching it through the eyes of my girls who, born in Tampa, had never seen snow. That said, Christmas was still full of family, fun and our traditions. My family lives to cook so it was great being in the kitchen together.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Grew up in Michigan and Illinois, lived in Anchorage, Alaska. I will say this; I loved it when I was "there". Which do I prefer now? I'd rather grill a Ribeye and go for a ride Christmas and New Years day than shovel snow! One of the benefits of the area we can be to the mountains to ski with in a couple of hours, and to the beach in the summer in minutes.

I must admit though there is something magical about waking up to several inches of fresh white untouched snow Christmas morning :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts