Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am about to try a different type of project, and was thinking of using tubes from old ten speeds, but got to thinking it might be both easier and better to just fabricate it from tubing.

Since I am new to brazing/welding my gut instincts tell me to use steel, but I would welcome input on the use of aluminum and whether its practical for a first time builder.

I am particularly interested in suppliers that you have bought from before and were satisfied, and also those that might be willing to help guide a newbe through some of the initial learning curves. A super plus if its near Fort Worth Texas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mark,

I gas weld aluminum, there is a definite learning curve here. If you have a desire to learn, I would subjest a video from TM Technolgies (tinmantech.com ). Aluminum does not change color before melting and it oxidizes very quickly in atmospheric conditions. Flux is a must as is proper eye protection. The price is lots of practice.

BobH

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I Tig welded a lot of S/S tubing and one tip is to purg the tubing with Argon. you don't nead presure just nead to get all the oxegin out. if you cut the tube opean it should look like it was welded from the inside no sugar as thay say, oxidation.
BobH gas welding of aluminum is something I allways wanted to lern I had a forman that did it and what a nice weld on some thin tubing he could make. I welded for over 40 years and never gas welded aluminum my loss

1 - 3 of 3 Posts