Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
n+1 = 19.....today. Well, yesterday technically. Today it got it's first real shakedown blast after fine tuning things a bit, adding bottle cage, lizardskin chainstay protector, fox small seatbag & beefier forte 35's. 9teen is a 2016 Fuji Tread LE - a matte olive drab mix of oval/105, TRP mech 160mm discs, 2x11, 50/34, 56cm aluminum frame/carbon fork.

Bike rode stellar. Threw caution to the wind and rode it like my mountain bike to a degree. Goes offroad at will without complaint and rolls super for only 50 psi tires. The silver 105 rr der will be gone next week, black on the way. Also the oval crankset will be leaving once the 105 black arrives. Some 14 or 16 degree flaired gravel bars with some nice comfy bar tape will be last change. The only other thing I wish it already had. I'll ride it like that for awhile after that.

Been wanting some 700c bike with up to 40's on it and found the gravel thing. Already dig this bike for mixed riding road bike experience where I can ride out of the road on any kind of sidewalk, greenbelt, doubletrack dirt or gravel or light singletrack and just not worry about vehicular traffic. Here's pics of it now.......

Attachments

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
*** special mention ***

Scored some nice pedals from another member here for the sum total of $0 so I'd like to thank jbylake for the cool DX spd's that were the perfect fit on the new Tread. Yeah, that's it, bought this bike because I had to find a use for the pedals. You can see them on the bike in the pics above.............:thumbsup:

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D This thing is gonna get major use :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

WTB All Terrains - 700x37c will be next tires.....I'll see if I go a month. Not sure if I'll like any difference in speed going up to that size from 35s will make.

I know, I'll just get a better wheelset and the tires and have a set kinda for roadishness and one set more for offroadishness. :eek:

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, all versions are LE. I believe this is a 1.0 as it came spec'd with 105 11 spd stuff. Still haven't been able to find olive drab on fuji site. green unicorn?

·
Maturity Challenged
1,158 Posts
Fuji made some touring bikes a year or two ago that were painted that same green color.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Found 1.0 in the tiny little triangle mountain symbol on top tube next to Tread LE and the tag at store said 2016.

·
Two "Slow" Spoke
3,445 Posts
#19 and you are still married??? What's your secret? :p

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, this time it started out as the wife having 50% off Diamondback bikes thru some thing at her work and her volunteering up that info. I was already hunting for a suitable frameset to build up but hearing that kinda changed things. That and I could build a worse bike for more money taking longer to actually have something new to ride. Coulda got a hanjo trail for 1300 instead of 2300 with full integra but it just didn't speak to me and color choices were boring. Hanjo comp was nice and woulda went with that but of course frame size selection was small and x small. Didn't care for any of the Claris 8 spd ones that frame size was right. Dead end. She also mentioned Performancebike but it had no 50% off there but got looking at stuff and they had GT Grades and Fuji Treads. We had what was thought to be a coupon for 20% off 7/1 - 7/4 so I decided to drive 20 miles to the nearest brick and mortar. Was kinda bored with the selection until finding the olive drab Tread 1.0. There was a nice Grade but again, it just didn't speak to me like the Fuji did so I ended up with it even tho the coupon wasn't on bikes. It did come in handy for the extra tires, chain cleaner and bottle cage. The rewards thing I signed up for will pile up some points towards future needs so went ahead widdit.

Oh, the secret........lucking out and finding Ms. Right........the 2nd try. Really pays off waiting 10 yrs to check longterm compatibility and mutual supportiveness. Someone that is really your best friend and loyal team mate is the best & greatest foundation for love possible. Anything else is just games. Hmmmmmm, wonder what #20 will end up being?

Rode again yesterday and digging it even more. Had to ease back on the pedal release tension to make that aspect better. Got it all dialed in. Banged out a good 20 in the middle of 97 degrees with heat index of 110 without much effort or suffering....even in 20 mph winds. Wasn't gone much over an hour. This thing rocks. Much more prone to riding this than my actual road bike. Can't catch any air or blast down grassy knolls or cut under the bridge thru rocks and stuff and climb up out of it without any wheelspin on the road bike nor would I try that stuff on it. Sure, road bike is faster/lighter but this bike just has more angles covered and is no slouch for speed even with 35s on it.....touched 30 somewhere along the ride yesterday according to the gps map app running on the old fon. Also got in 540 ft of climbing (in a flat area) somehow.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
That's a great looking ride, i12! Here's to riding the wheels off it in the best way possible!

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think I saw something about this green being some performancebike exclusive? Maybe that's why I can't even find the 1.0 on Fuji site? Those there only go to 1.1 with Tiagra 10 spd. Who knows, I'm just glad I got in the truck and went to have look see because I haven't found it any other way. The 1.0 listed on PB site is gray with no green option. Guess the green one IS a unicorn of sorts.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Been looking around for a 105 top pull 2x11 (5801?) fr der and doesn't seem there is one. The reason I'm after a top pull front der is to eliminate the little pulley thing down low on the back of the seat tube to allow the use of bottom pull fr der. That pulley is right where it'll get krusty from rr tire slingin mess on it, it is extra cable/bolt/pulley weight but not caring about that really And that device makes covering that bare cable on the bike kinda tricky. Another project will be weather proofing the 2 naked cables on top tube, the naked section on rr seat stay for rr der as well as the one for fr der. Was looking at that when I started thinking of eliminating that pulley setup and running a bottom swing top pull instead of the bottom pull top swing that came on it. I may just stick my top pull bottom swing 2x10 SLX fr der off my Giant Anthem X that was replaced with an XT. It would clean things up in that area.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, might as well get this thing sichiated.............went ahead, after researching bars for this thing, with these.......

Origin8 Gary Sweep OS Handlebar, 31.8 x 610, 15 degree flair

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Next project when I actually get this thing how I want it will be ripping open the hubs and repacking with some Mobil1 synthetic axle grease. I did this to one of the mtbs and that thing coasts for days.....and no badness from the grease for 5 or more yrs..............after that I may, might, ought to be able to just ride the thing.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Next project when I actually get this thing how I want it will be ripping open the hubs and repacking with some Mobil1 synthetic axle grease. I did this to one of the mtbs and that thing coasts for days.....and no badness from the grease for 5 or more yrs..............after that I may, might, ought to be able to just ride the thing.
Hehe I tinker and always change things. I like your style.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. More tinkering.......covered the bare top tube derailleur cables, the front der pulley cables on the back of the seat tube & the rear der bare section on the seat stay. Also swapped in the black 105 rr der that should have been on it when spec'd :p. Managed to do all the cable covering without having to string in new cables & took apart the cage/pulleys on the rr derailleur to avoid messing with taking apart the chain. Just waiting on the 105 cranks, bars and the WTB 37s to come in mail now. BB, bar tape and tubes should finish up the mods for now..........LOL, finish mods. Said it with a straight face too :D

Attachments

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wouldn't mind getting rid of that shiny @55 cassette and replacing with a black one to accomplish a bit more blackout. Only option on that (with reasonable cost) seems to be a Sunrace. It is 9 grams heavier than the 105, gears are same size as on the 11-28 105 but the killer for me on this is the glaring red spider on the backside. The lockring being red could be overcome but not the spider. Will probably leave this alone..........

tempting tho.............if it just had black spider.

pass................

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Yeah, but as often as this occurs with what selections there are vs. what would be great fit for the project at hand being at odds, coping and redirection or just dealing with it has to happen to just finish & move on......the frequency of it is annoying tho. And how it becomes a unicorn hunt so much of the time is amazing. Once in a great while I wonder why I even try and why not just leave stuff alone and then a split second later.....yeah right, like that'll happen.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I have approached it in the past with the concept of an accent colour.
Purple is shockingly a great choice.
Hope, Chris King, and Crank Brothers all make stuff in a nice matching deep purple. Plus DT Swiss makes accent purple spokes.
It always for me becomes a nightmare but kinda worth it. lol

1 - 20 of 54 Posts