Two Spoke Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Purple? Did someone say purple?

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f27/1993-specialized-rockhopper-comp-11055/

First new to me MTB from 1993. Still have it. Less purple than before when it had Ringle hubs and purple calipers and seatpost. Got single and double accents on lots of them :D

The Tread's motif doesn't call for anything shiny tho, it's more black ops stealth thing...............right out in the open. Nobody will suspect a thing.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Got the black 105 cranks yesterday. Have to figure out what BB is on bike (pressed or not) then score something to go with them. Same type setup but not thinking they'll comingle appropriately.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Origin8 bars showed up yesterday. They'll be hangin out for a bit before I feel like jacking with that swap. Swapping bars on MTB and road are so much different, much bigger project on road bikes. That and I'm itchin for a lot of miles on this thing before having it down to do bar swap. Also wanting to try out the 37s when they get here. Tire swap is cake tho........

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
WTB 37s are on the bike but not sure they are staying. I like them but kinda wanted this bike primarily as pavement/gravel thing that could handle some light offroad. These tires transform the bike to full cross offroad mode. Those gravel bars I got will go great with the WTBs to complete that setup but I sorta want to go back to the more streetable look of the 35s and just stay with the bars it came with. I'll give the WTBs a ride or 3 and see how much they slow the bike compared to the forte gotham st 35s. I really do need 2 wheelsets for this thing. One with each set of tires to switch between pavement/gravel to mostly offroad/cross to accommodate the bike's split personality. I'll post up pics of the WTBs from ride later and people can tell me whatcha think.................

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Well, messing with effin fon to get pics to computer somehow dumped my camera (DCIM) folder and lost a crapton of pics. Other folders still there. Didn't delete pic much less whole folder. Never got that far. Not backed up on cloud either. SUX. So much for pics from yesterday. Will get more.

Basically tires are taller than they are wider than the 35s. I love them after only 1 ride. They are staying. 80 psi max compared to 50 psi max on the 35s. Aired up to 65 on tst spin and they were superb. Comfort, speed, handling, grip all great. No difference from the 35s other than more comfortable. No noise on pavement from the more open tread design. Took the bike rest of the way into it's combo role better than expected.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
OK, riding offroad clipped in, on a roadish bike with bigger tires and drop bars on rocky singletrack with 34/28 as lowest gear with no suspension. Almost sketchy several times. About the limit of what I want to do offroad on this thing. It ate up the rolling gravel stretches like candy. Paved stretches were blazing as my road bike is. Very comfy and fast ride with the 37s. Next swap will be 105 cranks when I score a BB for it. Pics from Wimberley area ......

Attachments

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Here's pics of a stowaway I brought back home from a rest stop or garage dweller that just took a liking to this bike. Have come out in garage and found him hanging out on it 2 or 3 times. Even rolled the bike in the house to find him attached and had to roll it right back out and make him dismount so I could bring bike back in................

Attachments

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
Here's pics of a stowaway I brought back home from a rest stop or garage dweller that just took a liking to this bike. Have come out in garage and found him hanging out on it 2 or 3 times. Even rolled the bike in the house to find him attached and had to roll it right back out and make him dismount so I could bring bike back in................
Come on, man, how you gonna treat an aspiring cyclist like that?! :D

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
No touchy seat and pedals at same time you no ride! :D Besides that, a shark was about to eat him and I have a lizard sized bike for him. :eek: It came on top of one of those cars from Chevron long time ago.

Ya know, there's just no tellin what kind of random pics end up in a thread. I love it. Where the hek else and why the hek else would I ever post up a pic of a toy my kids had back in the day in a thread about a new bike. Crazy, lol. Coming up next........Hoo nose?

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Next time I see him I'll ask if he'd like to take a trip out west. :D I'll buy him a tkt on the ups express if he does......He'll probably turn brown to blend in with the cardboard box tho......he can match both my Fuji's, lol

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Next time I see him I'll ask if he'd like to take a trip out west. :D I'll buy him a tkt on the ups express if he does......He'll probably turn brown to blend in with the cardboard box tho......he can match both my Fuji's, lol
He is very very much a cool dude !
Never seen anything like him in person before.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Green anoles. Indigenous to our area. Really cool when one is doing his throat thing to attract a mate.............

(not my pic but pretty common site around here....if you pay attention)

We did this with them as kids.....

But this is different............

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Glad I could help. It kinda spoke to me at the bike store. Was eyeing 3 different bikes but this one jumped out and said I am the one so who was I to disagree. The others looked like candy, this one looked like it meant business so I beefed it up at bit and black'd it out some more and it's ready for business.....except for the 105 cranks sittin on the breakfast room table that will go on it.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
DuraAce chain and Lizardskin 2.5mm bar tape also makin the scene...........I'll leave it alone and just ride it at some point..........and if you believe that I have some property in North Korea for sale :D

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Overall how do you rate Fuji's Oval components?

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I like them and feel they are just as good or better than any other house brand stuff. The seat might be the first seat that came on a whole bike purchase that has chance of staying put, no complaints on the wheelset, seatpost/stem/bars are nice enough. I like the oversized bars. Now as far as the crankset, no like on the clunky squarish shape of the cranks but Praxisworks chainrings have good rep according to brother in law who works in the industry. Will find out just how heavy the cranks are once I swap to 105s. The crankset has performed just fine, mostly want full 105 drivetrain along with the 105s looking more sleek and go better with the der styling.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
what a battle swapping cranks...bottom bracket was 22/24v so it had to go since shimano is 24/24. Gave a fight, didn't wanna leave but a bigger hammer persuaded it, lol. New one went in like butta, cranks mounted up perfecto and wallah.............105 cranks. So much mo beeyitchin. So much smoother action........................................

Attachments

21 - 40 of 54 Posts