Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Live to ride.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm new to these forums, so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot. I came here to share thoughts and ideas about cycling. I don't consider myself a very avid cycle-er (is that even a word?), as I'm 17 and that's just what kids do, they ride bicycles because they cannot drive yet. Well, I could be driving, but I kinda said hell with the license and costs of owning and operating a vehicle.

I like riding. If I can't sleep, or wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep, I go out a ride a quick mile or so. I rode to school since 9th grade, and I'm graduated now. I've ridden so-so distances, such as from my house to the James River in Richmond city, which is about 23 miles. I ride anywhere and everywhere. I love riding. I don't keep track of distance ridden per week or anything like that, if I had to throw a number I'd low ball and say ~50 miles.

Now for the good part: I have heard of these ''centuries,'' or 100 mile rides. Never actually planned one or committed to one. So I figured I needed to try it out. I'll be riding from my house in Mechanicsvile, VA, to my grandparents house in Portsmouth,VA. I entered mine and my grandparent's addresses into Google maps, and then clicked the "biking" route. Google said it was 101 miles if I'm remembering correct. Google also told me it'd take 8hrs and 43mins. So I'm just brainstorming, thinking about every little thing I might need on this incredible personal feat.

As for support, I've told my buddy about it and he's saying not to do it. My dad just says "ok" sarcastically. He rides mtb on trails around the James river, but he doesn't do anything much other than that, and hasn't ridden in awhile. I know my bestfriend will be on my side about this, and he'll probably want me to stop by his house in Newport News (technically on the way there, since I can't touch interstate roads). From his house to my destination is around a 30 minute ride by car, so if he's not busy maybe he'll ride with me on the last leg. :D

So anyway, I want some info/tips from you guys that have cycled centuries. A detailed list of your machines and gear would be helpful as well. I'll get back later with my bike and a small list of things I have felt like I would like to have on this ride.

P.S. I am a car-free individual. I bike everywhere I want to go. I can easily rack up miles during the week, but I have never ridden more than maybe 20 miles in one sitting. Or that's just what I think, as when my bestfriend lived in the same town as me, we'd ride all day, all across the county. So maybe I have ridden quite a ways...

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
Welcome! I wish you well on that trip cuz I think of any road I would want to ride from Mechanicsvile to Ptown. Post up the google map. I would be curious to see the route it says to take!

·
717 Posts
Welcome! I wish you well on that trip cuz I think of any road I would want to ride from Mechanicsvile to Ptown. Post up the google map. I would be curious to see the route it says to take!
would be interested too in the route suggested, imagine you would have plenty of convience stores along the way for refueling.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you ride that much, and do it in similar terrain as the trip, for you it might be a bit of a no big deal. Most of the things you should have with you are things you probably already carry or should. You should be able to do minor repairs including fixing flats ect and have all the stuff to do them roadside. Outside of the normal water and bars to eat and drink, take enough cash to be able to enjoy what you find along the road.

The only other thing on the bike you might want if you don't have one is a computer to compute speed and distance. Have fun. I am hoping to have done a century soon too, but I am a ways off.

·
Live to ride.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noticed you're in Gloucester. My bestfriend's from there :)

Anyways, I have the route mapped out, seems like a lot of turns, I mean the longest I'll be on one road is 13 miles...

Link:

[ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=7173+Garden+Park+Lane,+Mechanicsville,+VA&daddr=3401+George+Washington+Highway,+Portsmouth,+VA&hl=en&ll=37.206269,-76.854858&spn=1.13752,1.766052&sll=37.195685,-76.84244&sspn=1.137685,1.766052&geocode=Fe23PQId4XJj-ynbqgjfLRixiTGg9uQiaru2Fg%3BFSm1MQIdN4lz-ymNhFF-96K6iTGhmifqgi2NEQ&vpsrc=0&dirflg=b&mra=ltm&t=h&z=9&lci=bike]7173 Garden Park Ln, Mechanicsville, VA 23111 to 3401 George Washington Hwy, Portsmouth, VA 23704 - Google Maps[/ame]

Here's what I've come up with for things I may need/want:

tire pump
set of allens
screw driver (#2 phillips)
screw driver (common)
2 high protein, high fat candy bars
2 granola bars
2 bottles of standard water
1 bottle of energy drink (I don't like the tastes of them, is there any other drinks other than Gatorade/Powerade?)
riding bag (to keep said supplies, of course)
iPod/mp3 player (need me jammin' tunes to keep occupied)
cash ($20-$50)
cell phone, fully charged
cell phone charger

As for attire, most likely going to dress the same way I always do: Jeans and a t-shirt. I'm bringing a jacket, because I know I'm going to get cold. Also going to be wear a hat, along with my shades 8) I've been riding late at night recently and I've noticed it's getting colder. Might need to invest in a nice pair of gloves. And on the note of music, I don't feel comfortable with headphones. They can get distracting if you're fiddling with the cord, and they block out too much road noise. I like to be able to hear if a vehicle is creeping up behind me. Maybe a set of external speakers?

The ride has no exact date yet, but it will be after October, but before January. So November/December.

And a just a thought, if my route has so many twists and turns, should i have some kind of handlebar mounted clipboard to hold my directions, like a cue sheet? I know I'm going to be looking at it quite a lot during the journey. Anyway, if there was anything I might have left out, feel free to input your own thoughts.

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
Noticed you're in Gloucester. My bestfriend's from there :).
Very cool! What part of Gloucester does he/she live?

And a just a thought, if my route has so many twists and turns, should i have some kind of handlebar mounted clipboard to hold my directions, like a cue sheet? I know I'm going to be looking at it quite a lot during the journey. Anyway, if there was anything I might have left out, feel free to input your own thoughts.
I was thinking that very thing, even with a cue sheet that's still a lot of turns to make and or miss. Not trying to be negative but I just know me and I would surely miss one or a few.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
I haven't ridden my bike any farther than 58 miles for a one day ride century still my goal looks like mine will be next year. Sounds like you got everything planned out well. Me when I did mine I just got on the bike no idea where I wanted to ride and kept going till I was happy with the days ride. Had my spedo on so helped with knowing how far I went for sure was pretty damn proud of myself for doing that first time for me. Good luck on your ride and welcome to the forum keep us posted when you do it

·
Live to ride.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cool! What part of Gloucester does he/she live?
He use to live... I can't even remember. I know at one point me and him visited his dad, at that time lived in Guinea. His dad rented a house that was like 110 years old and if you walked out the front door, there was a side walk leading to a pier... The house was on Chesapeake water front. Beautiful view in the mornings and evenings.

I'm going to raise my seat, as right now it's quite low. I'm aiming for my legs to be able to extend all the way out. So as of tomorrow my seat will be properly positioned. Depending if the rain clears up tomorrow, I'm going to take some pictures of the cycle I'll be using. I think it'll amaze y'all that I'm riding everywhere on this thing. Never failed yet though, knock on wood :D

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
I do actually really want one of these. Any cheaper models you would recommend?

Just go to Wally world or Target they got'em there for like 15 bucks work pretty well to. I just picked up one from Bell couple weeks ago does like 20 different things but me only want speed and distance does the job

·
Live to ride.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man. I really only want to be able to see current speed, average speed (for the end of the trip), and distance traveled.

Btw, bikebum, I clicked onto your profile, and you got a picture of you wearing a no sleeves t-shirt that says Ireland... My dad has that same exact shirt and I remember him wearing it over the summer when we rode some trails in Richmond haha just sayin'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts