Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've been riding roadbike for a bit now and already fell head over heels with cycling... now i've decided i want a mountain bike as well... mostly for commuting to work on rainy days and some mild trails that are around my area. nothing hardcore.. my deal is i want to go cheap since i've already pretty much invested my bike funds for the year in my roadbike stuff... my question is one of the new schwinns for the box stores a decent buy for what i'm looking for, should i go older used on a higher quality bike. or? any other suggestions...

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
What's your budget, and how handy are you? At the lowest end of the price spectrum, a decent used bike will probably save you money in the long run. A cheap new bike that doesn't shift or brake well is no fun to ride, and the low-end components are not only a pain to adjust, but may not stay in adjustment.

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm looking to go up to prob $350... and still learning the tech tricks on bikes but i am fairly mechanical.. yeah just other than browsing CL a bit i'm not sure what that will buy or what to look for on Mnt Bikes

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Basically, you'll want to look for decent spec, and a good fork. And be patient. My ex sold my custom short travel XC frame with full XTR group for $500, so I know good deals can be had. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts