Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies if a similar thread like this is already out there. I tried a few quick searches but couldn't find anything.

So I have a 100% stock Giant Sedona MTB/comfort bike that I picked up a couple years ago. I probably ride somewhere around 250 miles a month (all paved road) and am thinking of upgrading to something that rides a little faster and smoother. Despite how hard I push I really can't get the Sedona over 12mph average unless I'm going downhill a lot. I think this has to do a lot with the tires (26" x 1.95) and the overall ride position of the bike since it is a more upright bike. It's also not a very light bike (though it's not extremely heavy).

Regardless, I test rode the Giant Escape (1 and 2) and the Trek 7.1 FX earlier and really liked how they rode. I guess I'm hesitant because I haven't tried to put any money into my Sedona to get it riding better for me. I wonder if thinner tires and a new seat might make it work well for me.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
First off, welcome!

One of the members ( omnivox42 ) recently was struggling with pretty much the same decision. Hopefully he'll jump in here shortly and give you the details, but I believe he put narrower tires with road friendly treads on and did get a decent increase in speed. Ultimately I think he's saving his $$ for a nicer bike but this was a quick and fairly inexpensive upgrade that made him happy for now.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Irmonkey, welcome!

As Poolie said I was working on the same set of decisions. What I decided to do was make a few "cheap" upgrades to my bike while I save for a good road bike. I ride a 2001 Specialized Hardrock. It is a 30lb front suspension bike with knobby tires.
So far I have had to replace the tires with narrower smooth tires. This made amazing results right away. I went from 12MPH to 14MPH while spinning and when I get cranking I can hit 20+ (27.7 according to Strava). Also, I upgraded my grips and saddle so my ride position was better with added comfort. Amazon was kind enough to sell me Ergon GP3 grips with bar ends which should be in this week. I plan on using the bar grips to help me get into a more aero position as well as alleviate hand numbness.

What I feel remains to make this a true urban assault bike is a pair of Shimano PD-A530 double sided clip-less pedals and a rigid front fork. Replacing the front fork will shed some weight as well as save your energy. If your bike has a suspension fork and you are riding pavement a lot of your energy will be absorbed by the fork. I have learned this.

All in all you can spend a little money here and there to make some improvements to your bike (over time) while you stash the big bucks for something WAY faster.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Upright is very comfortable, and I don't think aerodynamics play much of a role until your speed gets closer to 20MPH. I could be wrong on that though. But if you get some 1" tires and tubes, you will be shocked at the difference.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I live in a windy area, aero is your friend. Darn wind grumble mumble.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I would not put a lot into the bike if it is not what you want, yard sales can have good used bikes , I got this for my wife for $40. It still has the nipels on the tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would not put a lot into the bike if it is not what you want, yard sales can have good used bikes , I got this for my wife for $40. It still has the nipels on the tires.
Hah, I almost bought a Trek at a garage sale on Saturday until I realized that it was basically the bike that I already have, just a different brand. :) Plus they wanted $125 which seemed kind of high since it had a blown back tube so possibly needed a new rim.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to get some narrower tires and see how that helps. I guess training with a heavier bike isn't a bad thing. My big concern with upgrading to a cheaper hybrid or road bike now will probably mean upgrading again to a better bike in a year or two. Might as well get my moneys worth out of the Giant before I replace it. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
irmonkey, that is a good plan. Swap tires, train, save for a better road bike so you dont have to upgrade again later. I was seconds away from a $500 hybrid and decided ill just wait and get the roadie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts