First "real" bike; used or LBS?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Excitabletom, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Excitabletom

Excitabletom New Member

Here is my dilema: I am getting a bike for exercise to ride primarily on paved bike trails here in Michigan. I'm 45 and a tad overweight. I'm fairly certain I want a hybrid.

I have found a year old Giant Cypress thast includes a lock, water bottle and computer for milage and speed. Previous middle aged guy bought it and decided biking wasn't for him. He claims it has 60 miles on it. I can buy this bike for around $300.

Second choice is to buy new from my LBS. I know the shop well and have bought my kids bikes from there for years. He recommended me to a Diamondback hybrid (the one with the funny new handlebars.) He recommended I get an upgraded seat and different bars. His price is around $350 without the extras that come with the Giant.

I like supporting this LBS, but am leaning toward the Giant. (better value in my mind) LBS is not a Giant dealer (local Giant dealer is a chain of stores.)

Is one bike better than the other of these two?

How important is the dealer in a purchase decision? Can I take a Giant to a Diamondback dealer for maintenance or is that considered in poor taste if I didn't buy it there?

Thank you and love this "beginners forum!"

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Have you got to ride both? I wouldn't make a purchase without getting on the road with them.

Then since they are so comparably priced, I would only use my preference as a decision.

3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Giant sounds like a good deal to me if it is a decent fit.

Just guessing, but I would think the LBS wold be more inclined to repair or tune-up one of their own. Cable stretch after X amount of miles, brake adjustments, etc might be freebies on one purchased from them.

I think overall the Giant would be a better quality bike and it does come with a couple of nice extras hu?

4. Geezer

Geezer New Member

First bike....

This advice is only good for me...with that said...

I started off with LBS purchased bike that did not fit. During the first summer I put 1,200 miles on the bike. I thought that I was doing well. I lost 15 pounds and felt terrific. The next summer I found a used, consignment Cannondale that was the correct size for me. That summer I suprised myself with 3,300 miles and lost another 10 pounds. I rode the correctly fitting bike for 5 more years before I got a very nice Cinelli that was professionally fitted to me. Over the next few years the bug bit me and I averaged between 6,500and 7,700 miles.

The point is not my addiction but rather correct bike fit allowed my addiction to surface. The first bike was way too large and was holding me back and interfering with my enjoyment. Enjoyment equals more time on the bike and better use of the device.

Get a used bike that fits and allow yourself the pleasure. While you are riding think in terms of what features and components would make your next bike better for you. Then buy that ideal bike and ride the wheels off.

Okay, the down side...every time you ride "the next bike" you will be thinking of the "next bike". But you will feel good and live longer. Good riding and keep the rubber side down.
    [​IMG]

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

A lock and computer aren't terribly valuable, (I would pass on the bottle) compared to what you might give up in free service from the dealer. I've worked at a shop that offered free lifetime tuneups, as long as you brought the bike in for a 90 day checkup.

It sounds like you already have a good relationship with your local shop. Let them know that you're looking at a used bike, which you'll want them to check over and tune up, and see what they say. If they've got good business sense, they'll point you in the right direction. The Giant is going to be better than the DB, but better is relative. They may give you a break on the new bike, or a discount on accessories, or throw in some free maintenance.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 New Member

I would go with the LBS myself. You generally get free adjustments for at least a year. My LBS, which is a Trek shop, takes $20 off their higher level tuneups for the life of the bike as well.

The other thing to keep in mind is warranty. The lifetime Giant warranty only applies to the original owner.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. chibibike

chibibike Banned

Yeah get one from the LBS. You'll get more for your money in the long run. Tune ups/adjustments are 40 dollars at the LBS here but it's free if you buy one from them.

8. chibibike

chibibike Banned

Hybrids are the way to go if you're not someone on the roads all the time.

9. chibibike

chibibike Banned

trek makes good ones in your price range too.

10. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I love me my trek.