First road bike upgrade?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by fleeter, Feb 23, 2010.

1. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

Hey guys!

I just wanted to pick your brains on what you typically upgrade first when you purchase a bike (assuming it doesn't have all the stuff you want in the first place). I know answers are going to be all over the board, but just let me know.

Do you first get a new saddle? or do you have a favorite brand of wheels that you always get? crankset and pedals? What do you upgrade first?

2. synack

synack The Back Row

Pedals for me.

3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Imho - w-h-e-e-l-s, but I'm pretty new to riding too. That will be my next investment. I'm looking at Mavic Ksyrium SL but they would be at the upper limit of what I would spend on my current bike.

Mavic Ksyrium SL Rear Wheel

4. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

Whatever breaks first. It's a new bike, right? It should work great for a while.

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Contact points, then whatever wears out, unless a smokin' deal comes along.

6. jad3

jad3 Helmet up, wheels down.

Where I go shopping is probably a better question...old my old bike!

7. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I agree on the wheels.... if your saddle is adequately comfortable that is. Better wheels give the greatest increase in performance. Usually if you start out in the sport you buy a bike that you think is going to suit your needs, then after you get into it you want something better. The best thing to do is get a better set of wheels and leave the rest of the bike the way it is. Then start looking around for a super frame, add componenets one by one and build up your dream bike while your original bike keeps you rolling. When your dream bike is done put your old wheels back on your original bike and mount the "good" wheels on your dream bike... voil√° you now have a super bike and a rainy day bike (which you can loan to friends if they want to try chasing you).

8. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

When buying a new bike, most good bike shops will let you swap the saddle and pedals for an up charge (or sometimes even free) depending on what you want to replace them with. Many new bikes do not even come with pedals, so you would have to purchase them at the time you bought the bike. I wouldn't really consider a saddle or pedals an upgrade. You should be starting out with a saddle that fits properly and pedals that you are comfortable with. The exception would be going from flat pedals to clipless, which I highly recommend for most types of riding (road & xc mtn biking).

As already mentioned, wheels are an area that, in most cases, will give you a significant performance increase unless you bought a very high end bike. Good wheels are expensive and most manufacturers spec less than wonderful hoops on their entry to mid-level bikes. Wheels are also very likely the most spendy upgrade that you will make. A high end set of wheels can set you back hundreds or even over one thousand bucks.:eek:

I would recommend you just ride your bike. You will figure out for yourself which components you are happy with and which ones not so much. Upgrade through attrition. As thing break, which they will especially if it's a mtn bike, replace them with the best that you can afford. The best doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive.

If you'd like to post up what you are riding, we may be able to tip you off to the weak links. For instance, I have an 02 Giant NRS3. The first upgrade that I would recommend for anyone who owned that bike would be a new crankset. The OE crankset is a boat anchor.

9. fleeter

I hope I don't get flamed too bad... I have an '09 Windsor Fens from BD. I'm just starting out, and I found that this bike had the best value for the price-range I was shopping within. It has shimano 105's all around, which makes for a decent drive-train, however, the crankset seems on the cheap side, and the wheels and tires seem like they were put on just to make it roll....

Here's a link to see all the specs of what came with it 09 Windsor Fens

Now... play nice, and don't tell me that the first upgrade should be a real bike :p

10. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Not to worry. No one here is gonna blast ya for gettin' what you can afford. Hell, my first road bike was rescued from salvage. I think I've got all of about a hundred bucks in it. The fact that you're riding a bike, any bike, is awesome!

That looks like a decent bike with entry level, but good components. I would just ride it.

11. Industry_Hack

Hey, 105 at that price cannot be beat.

12. fleeter

diggin the luv, guys!

13. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Looks like a keeper! Wheels first... then MAYBE crankset. "105 all around" should also include the 105 crank but the one you have will do the job.

14. fleeter

Thanks for the direction, guys! Now I just have to convince myself that I need to save up enough money to buy wheels that are more expensive than the rest of the bike :eek:

Unless there is a decent wheel upgrade that doesn't cost over $500... maybe build my own??? Ideas?

15. Industry_Hack

Why not just ride it and save for some better wheels? You'll find the best deal when you're not in dire need, or even looking.

16. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

I think its a good idea to ride the new bike stock. ride it until the wheels fall off. You can't make an informed decision on what saddle to buy until you ride it. its best for you to get use to shifting and the feel of your bike before you add clip less pedals. I say ride the bike as is until your first tune up at that point you should know what you like and don't like and if your dealing with a good bike shop they will install it for you for free.

17. fleeter

Now don't get me wrong... I wasn't looking for what saddle specifically to get (just due to the fact that everyone likes the feel of different styles), I just wanted to know what some of the tenured riders like to upgrade first if their rig isn't already what they like...

18. Industry_Hack

I mentioned contact points - your saddle, bars, and pedals. More important than wheels or cranks on a new bike, you should look first to where your body meets the bike.

19. eaton

eaton New Member

I agree with the peole that said to get your contact points taken care of first. Then use everything else until it breaks or wears out.

When I replace something, I try to buy stuff that I can keep until it wears out. Both my bikes have parts with thousands of miles on them. Some of the parts are top of the line, some aren't, but I always try to buy the best available parts I can afford at the time.

20. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Dude, your bike is fine. Even after you decide on a road bike you have ask your self: What am I going to use it for? What do I expect from this bike? If you're interested in racing then some upgrades may be worth it. But if you bought a nice bike to ride, maybe do a century ride or two this summer, then you bike is more than fine.

I agree with the others, upgrade as you break it.