Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived in Daytona Beach - have the Trek Madone's reserved for our Mon & Tues 30 mile road loops - a little nervous - they are installing our clips and we will basically riding the same bikes - my wife get's elevated from a 4.5 to a 5.2 Madone - I will be on the same 3.1 that I have at home - will be missing my inline brakes that I had installed on my bike at home - the humidity down here is off the scale - we usually carry 3 - 24 ounces bottles a piece - they seem to think we will be fine with one each - we are trying to improve on that idea before Monday - wish me luck !

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
You're renting Madones in Florida and they're only giving you one bottle cage? Are you kidding me?

Don't worry too much about riding on the roads. Operate as vehicles, obey all traffic laws, you'll be fine! :thumbsup:

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - and the loop in question has no places to refill that I can see - we like to keep watered up - two bottles for 30 miles we could probably deal with - but one is a little meager in 90% humidity

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
You're paying good money. Tell them nicely to put another bottle cage on there. No one rides with one bottle cage. It simply isn't done.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finished my first road ride ever - mostly very good - first I probably picked the best ride ever to start with - here in Ormond Beach Florida = called the Loop - it is incredibly easy to maintain a high pace on the road -- long long stretches without momentum stealers - the bad cars & my own nervousness because of the cars & that one idiot to went by us at 60 mph 2 feet from us - the Loop took through 3 state parks - it was almost all good - the bad part - got up late - started riding at noon 96º with very high humidity - as close as I have ever got to overheating - I am going to say - so far - that MUP's for me are still the way to go

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Finished my first road ride ever - mostly very good - first I probably picked the best ride ever to start with - here in Ormond Beach Florida = called the Loop - it is incredibly easy to maintain a high pace on the road -- long long stretches without momentum stealers - the bad cars & my own nervousness because of the cars & that one idiot to went by us at 60 mph 2 feet from us - the Loop took through 3 state parks - it was almost all good - the bad part - got up late - started riding at noon 96º with very high humidity - as close as I have ever got to overheating - I am going to say - so far - that MUP's for me are still the way to go
My wife and I have had some great times riding in Florida over the last couple of years. While we ride mostly roads in the midwest, our Florida riding was about 90% on rail trails.

Bikertank, check your private messages. I dropped you a note about two classes in your area you might find interesting.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our second ride was as awesome as the first - we were smart and got up early - started around 10am on the bike - NOT early enough - still
95 º - where the rode is bike friendly the road has it hands down !

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got back from florida - getting ready to ride here in Illinois - not sure if it is as humid but it is still 91º

At least the MUP has a little shade

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ride was awesome - we finished it was still 88º but with the shade & lack of humidity it felt like 70º compared to Fla

1 - 11 of 11 Posts