Fix a chain, or get a new one?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by TrueBlue, May 4, 2009.

1. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Guest

I broke my chain two weekends ago riding rocky trails at Coopers Rock State Forest here in WV. I didn't let it discourage me though; I just parked the bike against a tree and hiked about 4 miles, then came back for the bike on my way out. BUT... the floodwaters should be receding soon and the rain should let up any day now, so I'm ready to ride again. Question is... is it worth repairing (putting a new link in) the chain, or would you rather just buy a new one? And are there actually "good brands"? :confused:

2. BlueXJ

BlueXJ New Member

Well true if the chain is old then a new one may hold up better and longer but I would carry a spare master link or two with you on the trails just to be safe.

3. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

If it's had a hard life or a lot of miles, just go ahead and replace it. If it's a fairly new chain that just happened to catch a rock the right way, repair it. There are differences in chains. you'll often get exactly what you pay for so don't buy one at wal-mart.

4. Dae-Dae

Dae-Dae Guest

How long can a chain last usually before it gets worn out and you need a new one?

5. powderbock

powderbock Guest

Chain life depends a lot on how many miles you've ridden. Chains stretch out over time which can cause damage to your chainrings if left unreplaced for very long. You can buy a simple chain measuring tool, if you ride a lot and prefer to do your own bike work, or, if your not mechanical take your bike in for a tune up a least every year, more if you ride a lot.

As for repairing the chain or buying a new one, again depends on how old it is. Would recommend buying a simple chain repair tool you can carry with you on your rides so you can fix it rather quickly and be on your way to bike 4 more miles instead of hike them.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. monty73741

monty73741 New Member

chain & sproket wear together. so if they been on a while you might get skipping

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

If you don't have a chain checking tool like a Park CC-2, you can just use a ruler. The pins are 1/2" on center. If you line up a ruler against your chain and measure from the center of one pin, the 12" mark should line up with the center of the 24th pin on a new chain. If the 24th pin is 1/8" or more beyond the 12" mark, the chain is wasted and should be replaced.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  8. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

If you get a new one buy a SRAM. They make the best in my mind and they are easy to repair if you break em.

9. Neuner

Neuner New Member

I agree. As the chain wears, it lengthens. This will cause the 'U' inbetween the teeth of your crank or cassette to widen and it will cause your chain to skip or not shift properly.

10. Reesh

Reesh and Monkeypants

How do you think a chain has been doing after ~3000 miles over 2.5 years?

11. hophead

Tired and due for replacement.

12. BasketCase

BasketCase Guest

Could be dangerous to break if your riding across a road for instance?

Perhaps it is not worth using if it's a questionably worn and cheap part

Use a rope! I mean buy a new chain

13. hophead

Or hammering out of the saddle up a steep hill with your junk just inches away from a chromoly top tube.

14. Reesh

Reesh and Monkeypants

ahahaha, yeah that would hurt a lady too.

time for a new chain for me methinks.