Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixie / Single Speed. Hi I'm interested in buying a Bianchi Pista Via Brera, I like the look of the bike and am curious about riding a fixed wheel. But, I live in San Francisco so in the event I want to expand my horizons and take it further than local bike paths can anyone tell me if I can hang a de-railer on this or install alternative gearing? Thank all for your help!

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
it has track dropouts and no derailleur hanger or cable guides. so, no gears.... without tons of modifications

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh well, back to the drawing board on that idea but thanks much for quick response - appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
FWIW, besides the hipster quotient why would you want a fixie in San Francisco? :confused: Terribly inefficient for mechanical advantage on the hills, downhill could be interesting. I'm just not following. Why not build up an old frame instead? Or take a look at the new flat bar road bikes by Trek and Cannondale? Can't think of the Cannondale's name, but it's pretty sleek, like a messenger bike crossed with Mad Max.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Or take a look at the new flat bar road bikes by Trek and Cannondale? Can't think of the Cannondale's name, but it's pretty sleek, like a messenger bike crossed with Mad Max.
Do you mean the Cannondale Bad Boy?:

Pretty cool looking, but a bit pricey to me for what it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your input! KNEEDRACHEN, you are quite correct - why indeed would I need one in San Francisco? I actually reside in the East Bay which is relatively flat at least for the distance and type of riding that I do. In any case thanks to the expert input from each of you I have rethought the approach and we are now on the same page - I have narrowed the field to the Cannondale Bad Boy Fat, (that's the one with a regular front fork and no suspension), Scott Sub 20 or the Cannondale Quick 2. Will post whatever I end up with - should be next week. Again thanks for the help, I appreciate it!....Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I was checking out your site, interesting bikes! But also in the pic for the "DBB London" what kind of van is that behind the bike?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep that's what I thought. You a Brit? or just like unusual cars? I used to own one of those as a daily driver. Yours is the first I've seen in the U.S. 998cc's of Piston Power but always sounded great!

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
I was born in Hayward, as was my father, but if you go back far enough our people came from Scotland. Clan Donnachaidh. Last names Roberts. I've got 2 minors among other cars. My van has a 1098 in it. My other one is a traveller with a pretty nasty 1275 in it. See the car thread.

·
Registered
461 Posts
just buy a freewheel/fixie rear wheel, and if u dont like the fixie, just turn it around an u have a SS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts