Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crashed my surly steamroller last night and bent the down tube to the point that the front wheel wont pass under it anymore to turn from side to side. I called surly and they wont do anything and recomended that I do not try to fix it since the structural integruity is so important.

My question is if anyone has taken out a bad bend/ crimp in the frame, reinforced it and had success with the bike.

thanks for the help!

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
No, there is really no way to safely fix that. Sorry, but it's scrap metal.

If you bought it new from a bike shop, they may hook you up on a replacement. Unfortunately, Surly doesn't have a crash replacement program.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. I really love the bike and dont want to give it up, but it doesnt sounds like I have any other option.

Surly said thay would give me a 10% discount on a new frame for a "crach replacment" but the LBS wont do much.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I crashed my surly steamroller last night and bent the down tube to the point that the front wheel wont pass under it anymore to turn from side to side.
Wow! Hope you're OK. Sorry to hear about the bike. What kind of impact did it take to do that? Got any pics?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a fast (25 mph ish) head on collision with a sand filled run away truck/construction barrel. i took a good hit and did about a 15' flip and the bike was toast. i dont have any pictures of the bent frame because the LBS was able to take out the crimp and fix (somewhat) the tube. i am going to weld in some support and go from there. i will post pictures when it is all said and done.

this is why i love steel.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I am sure it can be fixed if you find the right person to do the job. If thay can patch airplane tubing a bike should be easy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My face was ok amaizingly. The brunt of the hit was to hy helmet (broken) and my shoulder (seperated) and the bike frame.

I am sure I can find someone to fix it professionaly, but the price needs to be reasonable, and thats the hard part. I think i will do the welding my self.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I would do some looking for a book on welding airplane tubing there are certin ways to do repares certin angles to get max strenth without adding a lot of weight.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Can it be welded? Probably Should it be welded is another question. Bending steel changes things quite a bit. The stresses on an airplane tube and a bike are so different as to really not be comparable. There is also the question of cost to replace. An airplane will be in the 10s of thousands if not hundreds of thousands, and a few tube and fabric planes are one of a kinds and priceless. Big difference between tens of thousands and the cost of a bike frame.

Another thing to consider is how much would the hospital bill cost compared to the cost of the frame?? Honestly I'd buy another frame just like the one that got wrecked and save the old one as a reminder of both the good times you had on that bike, and the risks that are involved on any bike so I would stay extra alert at all times. (and to be clear I am not saying that you were at fault in any way nor that you were not alert. What happened to you sounds like it could happen to any one at any time)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Photosbymark I totally understand and agree with what you are saying. I have worked with steel long enough to know that my frame will never be as strong as it was. My wife made it very clear that I need a new daily bike.

I picked up a new IRO Phoenix (50% off crash replacment "no questions asked" warranty vs. nothing with Surly) and I hope to run the new S3x internal 3 speed fixed hub.

But the way I see it the frame is done, so if I mess up welding it, or can not make it strong enough to feel 100% safe on it, then I am at the same place I started. But if I can get it back to a functioning safe point then I can have a fun fixie for days when i have a flat on the other bike or we have friends in town, then I will do it.

I appreciate all the feedback, and yes, I could have been more aware. It was a big wake up call for me. I literally had the best outcome I possibly could have from this experience and count myself very lucky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts