Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Popped a flat riding this morning. Not hitting a bump or anything. Looks like it was a failure of the valve stem. Seems odd though, anyone else see this?
Note: pretty new tube, couple weeks; was inflated to middle of the range, not over or under; and I'm now down to 169 (lost about 10 lbs this year, so not too fat -- gotta be the riding, it's not good eating habits on my part)

2) After I was home, I figured out that I'd put the tire on backwards. There's an arrow pointing one way on the tire I missed changing the thing. Does this really matter? Should I reverse the tire?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Sounds like you just got a bad tube. It happens sometimes.

Direction of rotation will not cause you to get flats, but may increase rolling resistance. I run the rear tire on one of my mtn bikes backwards to get better traction at the expense of it rolling slower.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If its a directional tire it would affect the handling and wear possibly, especially in the wet. If it were me I'd reverse it and make sure the arrows were in the right direction.

As far as the valve stem its one of the first places I look when I have a flat. It is a very common place for a tube to go. Its also one place that can be difficult if not impossible to repair. Often the stem is cut as it goes through the wheel. Those are unrepairable, though I do keep a few of those tube around for other things. They can be used to make other patches. Actually might be one of the better patches, especially if you use the same brand tube. If the cut is in the stem itself, its not repairable.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
You may have accidently ripped the valve when pumping it up with a hand pump, then after riding it a bit it eventually failed, people have been known to do that, sometimes it happens during pumping. A mini pump with a hose attachment will help prevent that. Topeak Road Morph G is a great deal in a pump with a hose, the Lezyne Road Drive is also excellent hose mini pump but cost twice as much as the Topeak but it's lighter then the Topeak and it looks nicer. Having owned both pumps, the Topeak actually gets to higher pressure faster and easier then the Lezyne.

It may be you have a burr on the valve hole and after riding a bit it eventually put a hole into the tube near the valve.

Or it could be as one poster said a poor quality valve that just didn't hold up well. I only buy tubes now from select manufactures because most manufactures are now making poor quality valves and they don't last long at all.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Tip After asembiling a tire and tube on the rim, when inflating a new tube or fixing a flat pump it up a little and let the air out a cupple of times, it helps to get the tube stratend out in the tire.
¢¢

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't a pinch flat at the valve? Was it right at the stem, or just near it?

I was under the impression that rotation direction only affected braking performance. Or not.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I was under the impression that rotation direction only affected braking performance. Or not.
Well your half right Mr Hack; directional tires have no effect on road tires, but for off road use a directional is designed for maximum traction if the tire is put on in the direction of the arrow on the sidewall.

Off road it gets weird because the front tire usually has the arrow pointing forward, this is so the tires maximum traction is delivered for braking. Then most people error in this part thinking the tire's pattern should be facing in the same direction as the front when in fact the directional arrow is facing toward the rear, this is for maximum traction while accelerating, not for braking! Thus you end up with one tire tread pattern facing forward on the front and the opposite direction on the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts