Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this is something i should have known about already and ill tell you right now , this was something i overlooked and was not prepared for. I got a flat tire today.

I have a few questions though.

I was prepared for something stuck in my tire. But there is nothing. Instead , its leaking from the hole the valve stem comes though. Why is my tire leaking?

I spent a couple years in high school working in a auto shop, and i have a general idea how to change tires with intertubes. Is there anything special i need to know about changing this tube?

Is there certian types of tubes i need to buy for my tires? I have - Kenda- Small Block Eight tires. Other than size is there anything i need to be worried about when i buy the tube?

Now that i have read about things on these forums and online , I plan on buying a whole kit for on road tire changes. What kind of stuff do i need for it. From what i gather , i need the spare tube, a pump and some kind of tool. What kind of tool do i need , and also what else do i need?

You all are great, I really appreciate your help.

The guy at my local bike store seems to busy to help me with things , so this site is a great wealth of knowledge and i really do appreciate all of you taking the time to answer my silly questions. You all are the ones really making my new venture enjoyable.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
It may be a cut stem. Here are some great links.

Sheldon Brown's What Every Cyclist Should Know About About Flat Tires.

Lyzyne pump for your bike. When it comes to pumps, if it doesn't have a hose don't use it. These are the best. Or if that is too much you can get a cheaper Topeak Mountain Morph which is bigger but I hear great things about.

You should be able to pick up a patch kit at the local bike shop that has everything ya need to patch. This one's only $6.

REI has a good video one how it's done. The local bike shop may offer a flat tire clinic too which is best.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the tire fixed. Got a patch kit at Dunhams sporting goods. Nothing special , but it was only $4.

Still looking for pumps though

Nigal, Why do you say not to use one that does not have a hose on it?

What are some other things I should look for in a pump.

p.s. If i can buy locally , I usually will before I purchase online.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
The non hose pumps are a pain in the butt because I can never get them to seal and, as Hack points out, rough on stems. The lyzyne's hose actually screws onto the stem to seal completely.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well with that amount of CO2 we all might as well stop breathing. I carry both a pump and an inflator. I use the pump if I just need to add a bit of air. The CO2 inflator works really well taking a tire from totally flat to fully inflated much quicker and easier than pumping. Pumps work much better when you just need to add a little air.

IF that small amount of CO2 bothers you, plant a tree somewhere and its all good. You won't have that many flats.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
can i ask your opinion on the co2 inflators?
I don't care for them myself because they don't seem able to get the high psi out. ?I have heard of others carrying both and using the bike pump to a point and then using the CO2 to top off to higher psi. But I hate redundancy. I really hate redundancy. I mean I can't stand redundancy. Oh wait...

My #1 rule on flats though is to avoid them in the first place. And the best way is to check your pressure before every single ride. Top off every time.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
IF that small amount of CO2 bothers you, plant a tree somewhere and its all good. You won't have that many flats.
It's not what they contained that bothers me. I get tired of seeing empty cartridges on the side of the road or trail. Consider what goes into making that steel cartridge, then filling it, and then delivering it from the factory to your jersey pocket. Might as well dump your ashtray out on the freeway off-ramp too.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It's not what they contained that bothers me. I get tired of seeing empty cartridges on the side of the road or trail. Consider what goes into making that steel cartridge, then filling it, and then delivering it from the factory to your jersey pocket. Might as well dump your ashtray out on the freeway off-ramp too.
Exactly... no different than throwing an empty beer or pop can in the ditch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i wanted either or. i just need one for emercencies. I usually check my pressure before every ride cause ill put a little more air in if i am going to ride the road.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Or a gel wrapper or anything else. Just because it is empty, doesn't mean you just throw it beside the road. On that we totally agree. Dumping just the ashes out of the ash try wouldn't bother me, but having picked up more than my share of cigarette butts, that's just wrong. Same with beer cans, coke cans or anything else. They don't belong beside of the road because you are done with them.

Now what it cost to make to me isn't such an issue to me. What goes into making it isn't any more than anything else. Transportation and shipping is an issue with everything. Should you consider what is involved in transportation and shipping when you buy Campy stuff? How much fuel ect does it take to get a Campy drive train across the pond?

Now I don't consider either to be a complete fix. IMHO either on frame pump or an inflator is a get you home so you are not walking tool. Then when you are back to an air compressor you will want to recheck everything. If not home at least to a gas station with air. I have had patches that lasted a long time, and I have had patches that the glue just didn't hold right and left a slow leak. Got me home though

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
i am a pump it up person co2 is a pain... plus i would forget to buy them when i use them and so on. plus, i am not ever in that big of a hurry. you have to carry a pump to use Co2 so why not just use the pump?

·
Just Plain Bitter!
72 Posts
I am a both kind of guy. I am a believer in pack it in pack it out. This goes for gel and bar wrappers also. I have had failed CO2 cartridges and had to use the pump. I have also had 3 flat days, I carry 2 tubes, 2 CO2, patch kit and a mini pump. I usually ride with people so as a whole I have only once had to make the call of shame for a ride in the last few years!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The pressures I get from the CO2 seems to be higher than I can get from the pump (or at least take longer than I am willing or able to pump) and there probably are people that can add air with an inflator better than I can. Until I lighten the engine, that much extra weight is simply not an issue

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
great point mark... co2 will get the pressure up there quick. i am light and dont have to max out air pressure to ride. if i was heavier i would like that advantage as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts