Flat tires

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by cvgreg, Jul 19, 2010.

1. cvgreg

cvgreg New Member

OK, it's me again with another dumb question.

I am continually having flat tires, especially the rear. I have installed a new Continental stiff walled tire (700 c) and am inflating to 110 pounds (or about). I seem to be getting small pin sized holes in the sidewall section of the tubes. I am using good patch kits and, at times have good luck, but at other times have no luck at all. I am careful about my riding and try to stay off of areas of the road that are too bumpy. By the way, I am a bit over 250 pounds which I am sure, doesn't help.

Today I rode for 20 miles without a problem, put the bike on the car bike rack, and 1 hour later the tire was flat. Can too much outside temp have any effect? It was about 105 today.

Thanks,
    CVGreg

2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

There is a good chance your issue is the installation of the new tube. You may be getting the tube pinched between the tire and the wheel. If this is the issue, within a few miles you would get a puncture.

3. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

And for the record, that is not a dumb question.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Not at all. It's a rather common one.

5. eaton

eaton New Member

Are you getting two little punctures that look like a snake bite? Those are pinch flats caused by getting a little piece of tube caught between the rim and the tire bead.

I recommend that you go to this site and read up on the subject. Flat Tires

It's not a dumb question. Flats can be very frustrating.

6. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well an old school teacher told me the only dumb question was one you already knew the answer to, and sometimes even they weren't if the person next to you didn't know and you knew they were to scared to ask it themselves.

A couple of other things to check. First check the inside of the tire, both by looking and feeling for anything sharp. Any thing that makes if feel like a prick can have you singing Pop Goes the Tire Now (sung to the tune of Pop Goes the Weasel") when put under pressure. Also check the rims and rim tape. Spokes can sometimes cause problems.

Just curious about others experiences, but a few things almost always cause a flat.

1. I am almost always going to have a flat when I forget the repair kit

2. I never have a flat close to home or the car. It's always half way out on the longest section of the ride with the maximum walk home.

3 I always seem to have flats at night when I can't see to change them.

4. I always have a flat when I am right next to an air source, but I have no adapter for the presta valve stems to the schrader valve stems and end up using the pump anyway

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My neighbor brought me a 20" bike with a flat. I removed the tire, noted the electrical tape on the crappy wheel, and gave it two layers of proper cloth rim tape. After patching the tube, I reinstalled and inflated. BOOM! Tube came apart because I patched it on the seam.

Bought the kid a new tube, installed it about ten minutes ago. Was fiddling with the brake, when BOOM!, this tube blew up as well, same spot. I've narrowed it down to the rim being somewhat egg-shaped. They are going to heed my suggestion to either find a free back wheel, or add this sweet chrome Huffy to the parts bin.

8. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Truthfully, 110 psi sounds a little low for your weight. Try going up to the max pressure the tire will handle. The ride will be a lot rougher, but it should help with the flats.

9. cvgreg

cvgreg New Member

Thanks for all the replys. One bike tech finally found the answer.

The rim tape that was on my rear rim was very narrow. In a few spots the tape did not cover the spoke reset totally and when my weight would bounce on the tire - flat! Since I have new rim tape on the rim, I have not had another bit of problem/

10. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Yeah rim tape and some Panaracer XC Pro 26x2.1s and no issues!

11. jkgramzinski

jkgramzinski New Member

Similiar problem for newbie

I am a new rider (less than a month).

A friend helped me purchase a really great, used Cannondale. The front tire was low (20 pounds) when I first got it and he pumped it up for me. I notice that every 2-3 days it is low again.

Do I need to replace the tube, or is this normal?

Thanks for the advice?

12. awinter

awinter No longer a newb!

Totally normal for road bikes.

13. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

It does depend on what you mean by "low". Yes, you will see a lower tire pressure after a few days. Heck, you will see lower tire pressures after long rides, especially on hot days where the pavement is scorching. But if you are seeing a lot of air loss, you may have a slow leak.

14. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Bike tires need to be checked and inflated to proper pressure every time you ride. At least that has been our experience.

15. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Let me clarify my last post. I completely agree with the above. You should be checking your tire pressure before each ride. But keep in mind that the act of checking the pressure will deflate the tire. The point I was trying to make was that a small amount of pressure decrease is to be expected, but if you are seeing a lot of pressure loss within 2 or 3 days, you may have a slow leak.