FLU shot

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by chh55, Nov 26, 2009.

1. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I'm scheduled to get my swine flu (or do you call it H1N1?) shot in a couple hours. I've heard of some folks getting sick from it, a woman made the headlines, seems she lost her sense of taste and smell?? I don't want anything to dissrupt my winter training schedule. Anyone out there had "the shot" yet? :(

2. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

i past my turn for this junk ...

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR5p_bD3uLc&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Girl Gets "Flu" Shot & Now Can Only Walk Backwards![/ame]

4. chh55

Just as she was sticking in the needle she says "and of course no physical training for at least 24 hours"
    .... NOOOoooooooo!!!
    I had (have) a triple spinning pass scheduled for this evening. I feel OK and am seriously considering going anyway. I'm so hooked on training that the thought of missing a pass brings on the shakes.
    How dangerous is it to train the same day... anyone know?

5. madal

madal New Member

A very wide birth from this for me:)

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I've been fighting a viral and bacterial infection in my upper respiratory tract. There is no way I would let them inject me with anything else at this point.

7. chh55

I am deciding to play it safe and twiddle thumbs 2nite. Hate to miss a training but at least I'm not gorging on Tbird and pumpkin pie..sniff sniff:( (wish i was)

8. madal

madal New Member

Oh gawd, pumpkin pie, you got me hungry now:D

9. London

London Guest

Train your guts out. If you feel real bad stop. If you feel okay carry on. Most health professionals are ninnies. Not me, but most. "The Shot" is a dead organism. You are not going to get the flu from it. You might have a mild body reaction from it. Even if you do, it's no big deal. (unless you pass out, of course) But I doubt any reasonably healthy baby would be adversely affected in any way. Remember, it's only those select isolated cases that make the news. The ones where patient X has a bad reaction. 99.9 % will have no problems and hence no news coverage. Get it? Like most risk/reward in life: the positive result is not interesting. Go spin.

10. chh55

Too bad you didn't post earlier, now I've already missed the first pass. Oh well, thanks for the info!

11. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I didn't get it. H1N1 seems on the decline here in the USA.

12. London

London Guest

Actually, Dean, it's holding steady. What's happened is the news media has moved on to something else. Swine flu had its 48 hour news cycle a while ago. All of this to say H1N1 is, and has been, greatly exaggerated. Any healthy person has a 99.999% chance of surviving H1N1. Notice I went out 3 places in the decimal. What kills people in flu season is the dreaded underlying health issue. Like extreme old age or severe respritory problems. The people who have died (H1N1) have been in these groups and they die no matter what form of flu finds them.

Avian flu (remember that one?) was not the end of mankind, and Swine flu is much less virulent. All should ride their bikes more and watch less news.

13. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

Annual physical was last week. I got a pneumonia shot. No flu shot.

14. synack

synack The Back Row

Wash your hands and you won't have to worry about the flu. I haven't had the flu in many years. Stay clean :thumbsup:

15. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

Never had a flu shot. I don't believe I have ever had full-blown flu either (24 hour bugs excepted).

16. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I did get the "normal" flu shot as I always do. My wife is in the health care business and got the H1N2 shot as she sees a lot of folks with it. I passed on that one. I got the flu, or at least started to. Did the Tamaflu or how ever its spelled to kick its arse.

17. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

No h1n1 flu shot for us over 65ers just go lie down and suffer :rolleyes: :D

18. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

As you long as you get back up, it's all good.

19. synack

synack The Back Row

Is it the new PC way of giving an eskimo funeral? :D

J/K!!! :)