Flu Shots

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Xela, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

What is everyone's opinion on these? I've never gotten one, and usually don't get the flu, or if I do, it only lasts about a day. Though now that I've said that, I'm sure that will change. Are flu shots a good idea, especially with all the talk of H1N1? Does a flu shot actually make you sick? Are the shots they are currently giving effective against the H1N1 strain?

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I've never gotten one and never gotten the flu, KNOCK ON WOOD.

Kind of scary to me to get a vaccine that's made that year with no rounds of mass testing.

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I say I'm against them but currently I don't know if I have a cold or allergies, or pig flu, but any way you see it I would sure like to not be sick right now. I don't want to die from the stupidest flu ever.

4. Xela

Hope you get better soon! There's been a lot of people sick at my work. It seems weird for something to be going around this time of year.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Ya,that's why I'm not sure, but I apprecite it. If it's the pig flu I'll be sure to chronicle my demise. I don't want to be the first in Texas to die of it. They'd probably blame it on the cyicling, or the fatness, or the years and years of self abuse, but almost certanly the cycling.

6. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I am 100% against the flu shot. Regardless of how evil or nasty they say the flu bug will be.

The reason I am against it is that the flu shot may not protect against the bug going around.

There are 2 flu seasons, the mild late winter early spring season. That is when we first learned about the H1N1 or Swine flu. Then there is the fall early winter season. The problem with that is the government and healthcare officials see the strain that occurs during the first season and design a flu vaccine based on that. They then make millions of shots and give everyone a shot to protect them against the second season. The problem lies in the fact that the second season flu virus may be completely different than the first. So you have no protection from it even if you get the vaccine.

While I understand the reasoning behind the vaccine (small dose of virus so your body can build up defenses against the virus). I still don't see any reason to make yourself sick so you don't get sick later.

I am also a bit of a conspiracy theorist, I don't trust the government. I would hate to be right and find out the shot I just took is part of a population control program. It wouldn't be bad if it just killed me 3 days later, but what if it were to fail and just made me hideously ugly and made me undesirable to women.

Wait, hey when did they give me the shot.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I don't trust the government either, but I feel lousy. Woke up this morning w/ blood in my mucus. I really feel terrible. I would take a government shot right now if I could feel better.

8. Xela

Grape Ape, I feel the way you do about why do something that you know is gonna make you sick in the hopes it will keep you from getting sick later without any guarantee that it will. I started this post, because they are starting to offer them around here, and I wanted to see if anyone would give a good reason to get them.

Sucks to hear that, Funetical! Again, hope you get better ASAP!

9. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

By the time my DR gets the Flu shot in the Flu will have bin long gone. Last year I went to the drive thrugh Flu shot .

10. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Doc says I have a sinus infection. So no governement shot would cure me any ways. Now I'm glad I didn't. Hypocritical maybe, but sickness and sinus medication can make you loopy.

11. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

WOW, you guys need to get out more. GrapeApe, you DON'T get sick from a flu shot, it is a myth, it just doesn't happen, if you feel bad after the shot, you were gonna feel bad anyway.

As far as the effectiveness, that subject is debatable, the Medical community can't even agree on the H1N1 vaccine, and it takes 2 doses 6wks apart, unless you are really immunocompromised, I'd wait on the H1N1 vaccine, but that is my opinion. I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of the H1N1 flu vaccine myself, but even if the virus doesn't match the vaccine, the boost to the immune system helps.

As far as the conspriracy theory stuff goes, get real people, there are WAY to many watchdogs groups closely monitoring the gov't, lookin to make a name for themselves to allow this to happen. The logistics of this are beyond belief and it would be impossible to keep something like that undercover. If you really believe it is a conspiracy, I think you been watchin way to much scifi channel. The medical community REALLY does try to help, and there is no way that many MD's would let that get by without makin a lot of noise.

If you really want to understand the vaccine stuff, spend some time learning how the immune system works and make a judgement for yourself, but PLEASE don't continue the myths I've seen here, you people are smarter than this, I know this.

DrB