Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's heavy. It breaks a lot. The component quality is suspect at best. And I want one. It's also probably the most historic bike in the world. They call it The People's Bike and it's been made since 1950. You can get them online for $200 (free shipping) but they say you need to take it to a bike shop to have it assembled. How hard could it be to put one together?

Each bicycle comes equipped with:
Chrome bicycle bell
Leather saddle (seat)
Fenders
Front light (powered by included dynamo)
Rear carrying rack
Locking rear wheel
28" wheels
Ultra steady kick stand
Fully enclosed chain
Front rod-pull brakes ("butcher's brakes")
Cottered cranks

Flying Pigeon LA — Flying Pigeon PA-02 Classic

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How hard could a single speed be to put together? I could see the butcher brakes being tricky just because I've never seen them. Even if ya got the thing together and then had the LBS adjust it for you it'd be cheaper than a complete build.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I don't, I've helped people put together bikes and that thing looks crazy hard.

That being said, I am not mechanically minded.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
it is super cool.... bike assembly is generally not that awful. i have only put together mtbs but i would on box it and then just see what is not done. if it looked too tough call my cycling buddies over and let the clan take turns installing pieces.
it will take some time but i believe if you have the tools you could get her done.
i would not say easily but should be a doable job.
i kinda want one too now that i checked it out.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well it depends. If they didn't install things like the bottom bracket and cranks, it could be a lot harder. Wheels not built would add even more difficulty. Now I have never heard of a bike being sold in such a fashion, but if its being shipped from overseas every square mm of space is considered important. Still it does look like a lot of fun

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really wouldn't expect too much from this bike and would expect to replace about every part on it eventually as they fail. Many people slap a seven speed IGH on them and ride the s**t out of them.

I wouldn't buy it if I had to pony up an extra $200 for the build. $200 is a good deal. $400 is not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts