Folding Bike Forum

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Stangle, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Stangle

Stangle Guest

Awesome a Folding Bike forum. These are usually only manufacturers forums so you end up talking about the same thing over and over. I carry a Dahon for everyday commuting and I'm looking into some of more expensive models. Folding Bike Riders are few so I hope there's a lot on here.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Welcome! I have a very vintage R20, and wish there was some way I could justify a Dahon.

3. Biker

Biker New Member

Welcome, are dahon's the upscale folder?

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Welcome! I dig the look. The utilitarian aspect as well.

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I personally haven't noticed much difference in quality among the various folding bike manufactures.

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Really? I've heard things about the simplicity of design and how some companies make it horribly difficult to assemble. Just reading reviews mind you. I haven't really heard anything about riding on them.

7. Industry_Hack

Dahon makes some expensive, very fast bikes. They're considered more of a premium folder than something like a Downtube. Of course, Yan from Downtube designs his own bikes, and handles all the distribution, which keeps the price down.

8. kegoguinness

kegoguinness New Member

Folders can be cheap ( in terms of quality and price) and very expensive. I have a Dahon Speed P8. It's a middle-of-the-road folder. Very decent bike, nothing to write home about. Good for short rides around the city and my multi-modal commute.
    I also have a Bike Friday. Expensive and fantastic road/touring bike. There is a major difference between this and the Dahon. The BF feels and rides like a full-size bike. Only it climbs better :)

9. Industry_Hack

I wouldn't mind the Speed Pro TT, but even at 50% of retail, I can't justify it right now. :(

[​IMG]

10. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I could just see ya now Hack. Rolling up to the front of a sweaty peloton and offering to let the leader suck your wheel if he likes. LOL!

11. Nigal

I saw this foldy on Craigslist for $90.
    [​IMG]

It looks like it says Next on the tube but I couldn't find anything on a Next foldy on the internet. I know Next is like a Walmart brand so I would expect it to be crap. But still...it does look like it's got a rear derailleur so it's not a SS.

12. Industry_Hack

I had a very odd dream about that the night before you posted this. Go figure. It was due to large quantities of spicy tuna.

13. Nigal

Oh, and you're wearing this helmet...

[​IMG]

14. Seven090885

Seven090885 New Member

Montague folding bikes

I have a Montague TX folding bike. The cost wasn't outrageous and it's a full-size folding bike, so that was the deciding factor for me. Their bikes are built really well. I've been riding mine for over a year and I haven't had any problems so far.

Check them out - www.montaguebikes.com

15. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Any complaints at all Seven? I've rode the TX and for my size it just didn't fit me right to use as a daily commuter.

16. Seven090885

Seven090885 New Member

Dean: Really? How tall are you? I'm 5'10", so I was right on the edge between buying their 18" or 20". I went for the 20" and it's been fine. I have gotten it tuned up once and tweaked a few things myself. I'm thinking about eventually getting rid of the derailleurs and converting to a single speed since my commute doesn't include many hills, but we'll see.

17. sdlitwiller

sdlitwiller Guest

I've got a speed P8, works great when I need to meet my wife somewhere.

Dahon Speed P8

If you live anywhere in the Midwest and want/own a Dahon, this is the guy to go to, especially if you need hard to find parts.

18. There are actually a lot of great options when it comes to folding bikes. Dahons are great, but another excellent folding bike is the Brompton. Each one is hand built in England, and they fold up to a very small package.

19. Industry_Hack

When my son's bike got stolen from school over the Christmas break, I replaced it with a Nova from Downtube. Yan apparently licensed the Dahon hinge design, (not that there was anything wrong with his own design) and my son has been quite pleased, as now he can take it with him inside buildings. Well, it's a sweet ride too.