Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're biking 85 miles, 45, then another 45. It's not a long tour but it's going to be fun.

My questions: what sorts of foods do you bring for the long days? I don't want to stop for junk food or be so hungry that I eat an entire pizza at the end of the day. If you're like me and watch your calories (both coming in and going out), we'll be burning about 4000+ calories for the first day. That's a heck of a lot of food...

Suggestions?

Or should I just eat the darn pizza?:D

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
My wife and I generally eat in restaurants on a trip, but we take some snacks for quick energy on the road or in case it's a long way between eating places. Some typcal snacks include a couple PB&J sandwiches, an energy bar or two, (I prefer Cliff bars), a small bag of pretzels, and some fruit, like a few packs of raisins, some dried fruit, a bananna, an orange, or an apple. All that stuff can be stored for days if necessary.

If you stop at a convenience store, a piece of fruit and 1/2 pint of chocolate milk is good for a real energy boost. It's not junk food, and you don't have to haul it with you.

If you pull into town after the pizza place closes, it's nice to have some emergency rations. An easy-open can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli makes a quick meal for two, and it doesn't even need to be heated. If you bring the Chef, it's a good idea to bring along a few paper bowls, and a spork or a plastic spoon.

I prefer 'real' foods to energy gels and such, but if it's going to be hot .. mid 80s or better ... we'll bring a bottle of Gatoraid for each.

Good tour! Where are you going?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts