Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the sport (6 weeks) and have been riding farther and longer with each ride. Today I rode 22.5 miles nonstop, my longest ride and my longest ride without stopping for a break.

My issue is, when I got off my bike today, my right foot started to ache terribly, almost unbearably on the underside, right side a couple inches behind my pinky toe. It was very sensitive to walk or even stand and I even struggled driving home. Once home it was still painful, but slowly over about 4 hours it retuned to normal, but I can still press my foot and feel the sensitivity. Standing barefoot on a hard surface, there is a noticeable lump under my foot as if standing on cotton pads stacked a couple high.

Any thoughts?

I was fitted properly for my bike, but I do have a leg (right leg) shorter than the other. Is it possible that I need a spacer between my shoe and cleat to make up the difference? or do you think it could be something else?

Also, tonight I slid my right cleat as far forward to try to make up a difference in the leg inequality. Although I haven't tried it yet, do you think this could help?

Thanks for any feedback:)

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Awesome job on the longest ride!! Be careful playing with the cleat position on your own. Mere mm's of movement in the cleat can really come back to bite you.

As far as a fit goes, I'd highly recommend a RETUL fit. They are pricey, but are about as accurate is it gets when it comes to setting up cleat/seat positions.

Has your leg been diagnosed as shorter on the right side, or is the angle of your pelvis off due to muscle imbalances of some kind causing the length descrepancy? Was there any right knee pain, or just the foot? How about right hip?

Its possible the cleat was positioned in a way that brought your foot too close to the bottom bracket and caused you to over supinate. Tricky to get an accurate picture without seeing someone move first hand. One way to guestimate it may have been the above mentioned is too look at the heel in at least 2 pairs of shoes. Is there more wear on the outside of the right shoe? Does the front have of the shoe seem to curve in?

Wear some shoes for about 30 mins and walk around a fair amount. Where does the tongue of the shoe sit? This is usually pretty indicative of how someone's foot strikes when they walk, and may provide some potential factors behind the foot pain.

Is it bruised as well? If it is still sore tomorrow, or happens again, get it checked.

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. My chiropractor showed my my leg length difference. I've had no pain elsewhere (knee or hip). I checked the wear on several, various older pairs of shoes and noticed that there was more wear on my left shoes near the big toe. I will try the walking around today to see any tongue movement.

This last ride was my longest, but it's not the only long ride I've been on. Over the last two weeks, Iv'e ridden 15, 16, 20, 16 milers. But, I experienced no pain, and I took about 5 minute breaks at each of those rides halfway points.

Thanks again

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You've damaged your foot by wearing ill fitting shoes.
I did a lot of research as I am new to the sport and didn't rush into anything. When I was fitted for these shoes, I tried many pair and was in agreement with the person who fitted me that I made the right choice.

Can you tell me what you mean by ill fitted? I know they're different from say a pair of tennis shoes and so on, but I stuck with the rules about toes not touching the tip ever, and as minimal slippage as possible and a nice firm fitness without cutting off any circulation.

Thanks for your input:)

·
1,393 Posts
Although you usually see the with running - stress fractures are common in that location & show the same symptoms - I wold get an xray to be on the safe side

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I'm going to second Integrate's advice on getting a Retul fitting if you want to get as pinpoint perfect as it can get. I had one done when I first got my road bike and it has been the best money I've spent on cycling; besides the bike, of course.

·
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to second Integrate's advice on getting a Retul fitting if you want to get as pinpoint perfect as it can get. I had one done when I first got my road bike and it has been the best money I've spent on cycling; besides the bike, of course.
I think I will do the Retul. I love riding, so it would be worth it, of course.

Thanks for all the feedback:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts