Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a project for you:
My wife has a Specialized Myka: Sport Disc.
I hate it. shifts very rough, throws chain often, and the front shock is garbage.

instead of buying her a new bike, I'd like to just replace/upgrade the derailleurs and shock.
currently it has the following installed:
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-M310 Altus, 34.9mm clamp
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.4 8sp Midcage
Shock: SR Suntour SF11-XCM-V3-26-DS-MLO, 80mm, 1pc. alloy lower, 30mm Hi-Ten stanchions, mechanical lock out, coil/mcu spring w/ preload adj., spring assisted seals

So what I am trying to do is replace the current with better, but not the best - I'd like to improve bike without exceeding the cost of just buying a better bike.
There are so many different derailleurs, I have no idea what is what etc, Hoping that someone out there with build skills and experience can recommend some parts.
would I need to replace anything else? bottom bracket etc?

thanks in advance for any assistance!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
What do you estimate to be the current value (to you) of this bike? How handy are you?

Derailleurs are easy to replace, and only require a bit of patience to adjust. Replacing a fork is pretty simple, as long as you can R&R the lower bearing race. Here's the catch: there's no reason the shifting performance should be bad with even a basic SRAM product. Are the jockey wheels dirty? Has the cable stretched, or is it full of grit? The fork issue is a bit more complex. A spring will always just be a spring, and you get what you pay for. To get better performance, you need a fork that uses air and/or oil for damping and rebound control. And that can easily exceed the cost of most entry-level rides.

Whatever you choose, we can help you sort it out.

·
73 Posts
What type of riding is the bike doing, off-road mtb trails, road?
How old is the bike and how often is it serviced?
IndustryHack is right in saying most derailleur's should work just fine when set up correctly. The ones you mention are not rubbish :)
A couple of things that affect derailleur function are, worn and dirty cables.
Bent or misaligned derailleur hanger/tip where the rear derailleur mounts and an incorrectly adjusted derailleur.

As for the suspension fork, another great comment by IndustryHack regarding the cost outweighing the proportionate value of the bike.
Suspension forks are quite a costly item depending on what features and function you are looking for.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Dude, stop saying I'm right. If my wife saw that, she'd have a fit! ;)

The truth is that a lot of people blame perfectly good gear because they want an upgrade. Nothing wrong with that. But the other side of the coin is that you don't want to sink a lot of money in a bike that will never be worth the sum of its parts.

My Cannondale probably cost my brother $3k to build 12 years ago. But for what it would cost to get a decent replacement for the Headshok, I would have a sizable chunk of cash to put towards a new ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts