Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just looked at your bike (assuming that the bike in your "cycles" is the one in question) and I'm confused... is it a cyclocross bike? And when you refer to trail, I assume you mean the amount of compression (or travel) that your shocks are taking? Some more information is in order to properly help you, cause I may be on the wrong path completely.

Brad

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what fork can i get to do that? I would ideally like a fork to match my bike but if it's just black thats fine too. I'm thinking about a carbon fork cause i hear it's better for shock absorption and I wanna take some weight off too.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,623 Posts
this is tricky... you of course can get forks with different offsets. they make them out of carbon to match the offset of a suspension fork, or with zero offset and everything in between. you want to be careful about changing this. you will be changing the geometry and set-up of your ride. thus, it will handle different, maybe put too much stress on the fork possibly causing failure and serious injury. i had the pleasure of a carbon fork sheering off. not exactly fun... your bike came suspended and if it was mine and i wanted to put a rigid fork on this is what i would get. a White Brothers Rock Solid Rigid Carbon fork...

White Brothers - Rock Solid Rigid Carbon Forksl

you can even ride xc with them. i had one on my Kona Premo for a while an road some pretty cool single track at blistering pace. i have since put a rockshock sid in place because off road the weight is made up for by the smoothness. the suspension fork is actually faster. now, the rigid was faster on the road.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
523 Posts
I really think you bought the wrong bike. Given the changes you've made and the changes you still want to make, you probably should have bought something else.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i donno i'm just like that, i always want to change things so even if i bought something else I'd prolly be doing things to it too. I'm the same way with cars.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just for clarification, "trail" is the difference between the actual contact patch of the tire and the imaginary point where the axis of the steerer tube intersects the ground. The contact patch usually 'trails' the intersection point, thus the name.

Most forks seem to have about 40mm offset. The offset serves to decrease trail (draw it out if you doubt me.) So if you want less trail, get a fork with more offset. Which is what Industry Hack said. I don't recommend getting into bending your own fork. Too much chance to screw things up.

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
I really think you bought the wrong bike. Given the changes you've made and the changes you still want to make, you probably should have bought something else.
I was thinking the same thing.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
nope i just mess with stuff to much, i've always been like that. I'm not much of a road rider so I don't want a road bike and I won't ever go mountain biking so I wouldn't get one of those so I'm between a road and a trail bike right now. It's not that i'm trying to get something I'm not getting with this bike cause it was great the first day I got it but I always like to tweek things here and there just to get as much performance and use I can out of it. Sometimes I go way overboard like I did with my car, I ended up ripping out the entire interior cause I wanted to make it prettier and with my apartment I had a wall knocked down and I didn't even ask if I could but I don't think they'll notice. I just can't ever leave things alone the way they are. I donno why. I'm so picky. Anyway, I went riding with a new gf I made and she had a flat in both tires and I put new tubes in for her. She got some mountain bike at target a year ago. It looks like one of those expensive ones with all the shocks but doesn't have any of the brand names I'm use to seeing and her bike is called hyper or something like that but she doesn't know anything about bikes she just thought it would be cool to ride a bike and just picked one she thought fit her. She only rode it two times when she first got it and when she pulled it out of the garage it had two flats and the front brakes were all out of wack so I fixed it for her and we went out. maybe i'll give her my old hybrid that's actually a real bike compared to her target bike. It really looks like a kids bike but she's 28 and 5'4 and she has to stand the balls of her feet when she's sitting on it and thats with the seat almost all the way down.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oh and i rode it with the seat like that and my butt felt good and I didn't feel like I was slipping off at all even when i wasn't holding the bars. It almost felt like I was sitting in a normal chair in fact, so unlike other times I've tried other seat angles. i think i'm gonna keep it like that. My new friend wanted her seat angled back but she has way more butt than me so maybe thats why i donno.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i want speed for the road but i want better shock and comfort for when i ride on trails than I would get on a road bike. i know it's not very possible to have both on a single bike but i wanna get as close as I can without sacrificing much on either end so I can end up with a bike that is good for riding on either terrain.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
You might be on to someting with the seat thing my wife said I was a Big A$$

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
26" wheels a narrow inverted tread would provide enough traction for dirt roads. Speed on asphalt has a lot less to do with the bike than it does with the rider.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts