Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well before I would get all excited about F1 technology, I would wait a couple of races. Lots of carbon fiber parts have been known to break in F1, especially early in the season with the new car.

A Dr. once told me an interesting perspective on technology. You don't want to be the first or last to adopt it.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As the article says, "This project was about consistently balancing our desire to pursue engineering perfection with the realities of delivering a commercially viable product." A F1 car will never be and is never intended to be "commercially viable." I'd have no problem trusting a bike with heavy design influences from some of the brightest engineers in the world.

I'm also quite sure it's a safe bet that the bike has thousands of miles on it already from some of the strongest legs in the world, especially since Cav is going to race it this weekend.

But, yes, you are correct that failures are common in F1. However, F1 is simply a sport where 100% reliability pretty much assures that the car is over-designed and not competitive. Part of the reason I love it. Everything is on the edge. Whereas us "normal" engineers speak in terms of "factors of safety" and such, an F1 engineer's main job is to design a part to do the bare minimum required. That being said, pre-season testing seems to indicate that the 2011 Ferrari is the most reliable which is good news for me.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well F1 is the ultimate engineering exercise. I don't follow bike racing, but there is one thing I know. In any form of racing things break, sometimes as a result of a crash, but they will break. Yet one pothole in the wrong place, hit at the wrong time or at the wrong angle, you just never know.

F1 also pushes the man to the limit as well. Though its quite rare these days, men still can die in the sport. They all know it. Push too far and its a life. They have had a few near misses lately though. Getting hit in the head with a spring doing 100+, and its amazing one is still here. They pushed too far. Rear wing comes off. Again too far, but sometimes its not as easy to correct.

Well the Ferrari bias is so overwhelming in F1, I used to be able to predict whether a red or yellow would come out after a first lap crash. If Michael was in the crash, it was red. Otherwise it was yellow. Want to see if something is illegal in F1? Go see if Ferrari has it. If not it is probably illegal, or if not now it will be. I like it when the only thing reliable in a Ferrari preseason test is it consistently sends a piston out the side of an engine block, or as Mr. Ferrari would say "Have gear box problem." grin Card carrying ABF member "Anyone But Ferrari"

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
first, that is amazing ride and it id perform well, or was well performed on.
i just wanted to point out something that surprises me... it has Sram Red, top of the line Cranks, one of the best and most expensive wheelsets on the market, top notch saddle... all components are super pricey except the stem, it has a syntace stem. they are a good product but with the highest priced group sram offers and a wheelset that cost more than a ton of race ready bikes, i was shocked to see a moderately priced and weighted stem. not that it is not good i just expected something higher end and extremely pricey like everything else.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
A venge with dura ace is only $9200. As sweet as the bike is I think I could find something i'd much rather have for the money than a $9200 bike.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ouch! Hadn't seen prices yet. Throw on Di2 or Super Record and we cross 10k, huh.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
first, that is amazing ride and it id perform well, or was well performed on.
i just wanted to point out something that surprises me... it has Sram Red, top of the line Cranks, one of the best and most expensive wheelsets on the market, top notch saddle... all components are super pricey except the stem, it has a syntace stem. they are a good product but with the highest priced group sram offers and a wheelset that cost more than a ton of race ready bikes, i was shocked to see a moderately priced and weighted stem. not that it is not good i just expected something higher end and extremely pricey like everything else.
My thoughts exactly. Although it was different in race-trim today.

Mark Cavendish's Specialized Venge bike awaits. Photos | Cyclingnews.com

·
Registered
69 Posts
That thing is nasty, it looks like it's going fast just standing there.

·
Two skinny J's
21,452 Posts
That's one shuweet looking ride. It looks like it's getting some time trial bike attributes. Wonder how they will learn to suck the air from under it, like F1, to make it stick to the road like glue?

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
especially since i ride Campy.
I got about 25k on my Record group, and I still can't think of a good reason to replace it. The new Super Record and Record groups are sexy, but if it ain't broke... Upgraded my Ksyriums to Campy Shamals last year and I'm in love with those wheels as well.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
i have Campy athena on my Cervelo and record on my Wilier... love both. even though they cost more than sram they feel smoother and way quieter. i am not a shimano fan so campy it is. this may be a one case thing but my dad got a Pinarello with Sram Red when i got my bike with Campagnolo Record... i ride about three times as much as he does and have only had to adjust the derailleurs after cable stretch. he is more up on maintenance than i am as well. he has had to replace a front shifter Sram warrantied it but still. he has also had to adjust the derailleurs twice as much. but, mainly the loud pop from the double tap is annoying to me.
I want Campy Shamals.... very jealous am i :D

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want Campy Shamals.... very jealous am i :D
That's cool, I'm pretty envious of that sexy Wilier you got.

I highly recommend the Shamals. They do everything great! I've kept the Ksyriums for the rollers, but it's time to put the Zipps on eBay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts