Forums, Facebook, twitter and Instagram

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by rola643, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Yes, of course it's a natural progression

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Nope, always be a place for a good forum

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Admin Staff Tavern Member

I'm curious, it seems the traffic here has really slowed to a crawl. Would you say this is a sign of the social media wave? It seems forums were a good place to come to be with like minded people with common interests. It really never occurred to me that Facebook, twitter and Instagram would or could replace forums such as this.

2. DnvrFox

DnvrFox Still learning . . . Tavern Member

I participated in a 50+ FB Group run by a once fellow participant in BFN. It stayed small for a number of years, until FB advertised it. It grew from about 50 participants to 5,413 as of today in about a month or so. It is still growing.

I have pretty much dropped out, as the folks I knew in that FB forum got lost in all the new members, along with their posts.

Instead, I started a 65+ FB Group which now has 71 participants and I plan on limiting growth to about 100 or so participants, so that we can get to know one another.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1929492147325807/

I have found my posts on this forum lately to be pretty much to myself, and have stepped back in my participation. My issues don't seem to be your issues. I have a whole lot of new stuff going on in my life, and find that the 65+ group is more attuned to where I am. But, I still read here as evidenced by this post. I will be 78yo in 2 weeks.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017

3. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

I just saw this and put in a request to join your FB group. I may need to modify how much riding I do in the future because this surgery and recovery stuff get's harder all the time.

4. Hawkowl

Hawkowl New Member

Don't think one will replace another. Each fulfills a different pigeonhole in my life. At the same time age means less and less to me as a determiner of my interests. At nearly 81 there aren't very many age peers. At the same time being this age and still being very active makes me statistically an outlier. Most of the people I've grown old with are either dead, moved to a retirement ghetto, or preoccupied with ongoing disease.

So, I want to hear from more than just them. I want friends and aquaintances from multiple age groups. There is another, selfish reason for developing friends in younger age groups. I want to be able to be relevant and not living with my decline and the past.

Forums like this and like Facebook. are commercial enterprises designed to make money for their owners. Our posts and activity are monetized to that goal. All will survive as long as they produce adequate profits for the owners.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  5. DnvrFox

Hawkowl - you are SO good!

6. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

I never knew this place at a time when it was busy.

I like it because there is almost no bickering and negativity. Most cycling forums are just places for people to fight. Disc brakes, frame material, pedaling technique ... any crazy thing, if one person has an opinion three people will say it is wrong.

Also, as I age, I find more and more relevance to the fifty-plus threads. Problem, as Hawkowl noticed, is that fewer people make it that far, and far few much farther.

Often I have nothing to add. On most sites people post just to make their voices heard, even if they are just howling nonsense. I try not do do that on this site.

But even if I have no thing important to say, I like to read what people who have gone ahead of me have learned.

I guess I need to use the "Like" button more so people know they are being read.

FRISKY likes this.
  7. rynoman03

rynoman03 Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

I think FB replaced alot of Forums, but I still frequent plenty of Forums. MTBR.com, here, pinkbike, ColoradoFans.com, ... I'm really getting kind of burnt out on Facebook. I've been on there since the beginning too, back when it was for colleges only.

8. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

Most everything I see on FB these days screams 'fake', or drips commercialization. While there is naturally still advertising on the forum, it's much less obnoxious or intrusive. FB has its moments, but they are getting fewer and farther between. Aside from the naked attempt to monetize social connections, it largely boils down to people posting misleading crap about the lives they want others to think they live.

I like this forum's focus, honesty, and atmosphere. I like that we can disagree with one another without immediately descending into the gutter. I appreciate that I can post questions on a piece of gear or technique, and know that the answers I get, while perhaps not right for me, are coming from real cyclists with genuine experience and no interest in steering me this way or that for commercial reasons.

FB is like a big box store. It has its uses and can even be quite valuable, but it's not the kind of place I want to be without a good reason. I'd never go there to just chill. This forum is more like a comfortable living room, or maybe friendly neighborhood hangout. Though we may not always agree or even like one another, we can still enjoy spending time together and playing on the things which unite rather than divide us. The same thing should be possible on FB, but I've yet to see it happen.

9. DnvrFox

So far, my 65 - 100+ forum has avoided what you point out above about FB. Very positive, no negative, no braggarts. Hope it stays that way. I have no hesitation interceding as the administrator if it starts heading downhill. Perhaps there is something to being 65+ ?

10. burnthesheep

burnthesheep New Member

I'm really disappointed in the creep of forums over to Facebook and social media.

Why? To me it seems the page owner on social media tends to control the content WAY too much.

I'm a member of a brewery's Facebook cycling page. They call it a club. Whoa and behold the only posts they allow from people on the "club" page are their employees, riders for their brewery team, and their friends.

They make a post about youtube velodrome videos and it stays up. I make a post about maybe organizing a local version of the Dirty Dozen hill climb and talking about the best local hills and they delete the post.

The layout of social media is also very bad for subtopics and subforums. It's fine for single topics, but horrible for pages of replies and topics spanning months.

I pretty much left that group because of their iron-fist control over it.

I feel the success of people coming out over the summer got to their heads a little bit.

11. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

I think that it will, unfortunately, because the younger generation doesn't go to forums like we did when the net came online. they use their phones solely anymore and faccebook is an app that gives them access to their facebook page that supports what they want.

a huge bmw forum I am on is almost dead because it facebook page has become so big. I still use the forum but its only about 5 of us who still go to it. its a huge bummer because you have sections and can keep going back to your thread for continuing a build or when you have trouble. on facebutt, each time you go on, your posts are gone and it t akes forever to find it and then no one is answering because its over an hour old

12. rushlake

rushlake Member Tavern Member

We have locally a facebook cycling group started by a friend of mine to bring together cyclists in the area. To: Post organized rides, or tell everyone, "hey I'm riding in this area on Saturday morning. anyone want to tag along". I have used it to warn others that a certain favorite road has been chip sealed and be aware. It started a discussion about how the road is a favorite and about how chip seal should be banned. It's a nice tool for classifieds because everyone looking to sell something cycling related is posting locally. So easy pick up. Easy to go check it out and not sell a piece of crap to others in the group.
    I however do not have a facebook account and sign in using my daughter's. Because I just usually just read the notifications and check on who's riding where. I have only posted once. My life is not that exciting to warrant a need to post anything daily, or weekly or...........My life is not a self made reality show that I think everyone should be interested in and are missing out if they are not impatiently pacing around home unable to go on until they read my next facebook post.
    I get friends and families find it a useful tool for communicating while not having to actually be tuned in a the same time. They can catch up anytime.
    But as someone alluded to it has, for many, become a platform for one-upmanship.
    As newleaf wrote it's like a hangout here. I say more like a bar, and banter, discussions, and sometimes a disagreements go around the table. Sometimes one of us may have one too many and get a little too.....opinionated. But we all a have bad days and next time we see each other at the bar all is forgiven.
    Facebook is "too public". You don't have to worry about people saying "I saw what you posted on facebook and". Or worry that neighbors, family and friends are gossiping about what you posted because they took it the wrong way or they think you need to do this or that. I don't need more drama at home, or work or in town because of something I posted.
    Here we are secreted away in a back room so to speak. People come and go but this is always here and a pretty safe place to unwind and take your mind off the regular daily grind. I think it will always be a better, more honest, more specific, more in tune, and less phony format. In many ways we are more ourselves, for better or worse, here than I think the persona many try to convey on facebook.

13. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Active Member

I've definitely noticed a drop off on TS from a few years ago. However, I'm not certain it's due to FB, tweets or Instagram. I suspect it's more the ebb and flow of people's lives.
    I know for myself, a mostly solo rider, I miss being here with my riding friends. Over the past year, I've found myself with less and less free time.
    Sometimes, like this morning, I need to get out of my rat race and head to the back room at the pub and check in.
    I suspect there are others in similar positions.

On the other hand, are we reaching out to missing members and inviting them to stop in now and again? Or encouraging new people to participate?
    I know I haven't been.

For me, I found this site purely by accident.

Lastly, I hope the powers that be aren't thinking of turning our room into a broom closet.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  14. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

Can't say but personally I don't like FB at all. I am on Instagram a ton and have never had a Twitter. Dos has it for me, just been too busy to post or read much in the forum.

Will slow down and then be on here more. Life seems have slow and busy times.

15. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

My life slowed down by accident. :eek:

16. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi

Pun intended?

17. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Active Member

He didn't really do that. Did he?

18. rushlake

I would also say that about a year and a half to two years ago I noticed a reduction in participation. It seemed then to me that there was either a loss of interest or decline in membership leading to stagnation. I would get on in the morning and it seemed like not much was happening.
    Then a certain member resurfaced and singlehandedly, with her enthusiasm, energy, passion, and knowledge brought life back into the forum. It was very noticeable how things changed.

Attached Files:

19. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

Her roommate was a very good addition to the forum as well. :love:

20. rushlake

Without a doubt, when Sprock led Emma here to join there was another boost.