Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the whole fixed concept. I'm currently on an overseas assignment for the remainder of the year. I'm planning on building a bike when I get back. I've been riding BMX for years, but the older I get, the less practical it becomes. Originally I was just planning on building a single speed (freewheel) 700cc commuter, but my research has been saturated with fixed gearing and has me second guessing myself.

I've seen a few Fixed/Free hubs. Does anyone have one of these? How often do you use the fixed/free? And lastly, assuming you went the fixed/free route, would you recommend the same gearing for both fixed and free? I'm pretty skeptical to go fixed only, but I have to admit I'm curious- plus it seems like it would be fun to ride fixed on occasion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I have one singlespeed with a flip/flop hub--freewheel on one side fixed on the other. I have ridden it fixed, but it wasn't for me. I like the ability to coast. If you want to try fixed, I highly recommend a flip/flop that way you are not married to a fixed set up.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
I almost never run a freewheel on such a bike. I had one on my rasta bike before I repainted it, i've toyed with putting it back on but havent done it yet. Flip flop hubs are cool if youre not sure about fixed yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Flip Flop hub rear and I think once you get used to riding fixed you might not find yourself using the freewheel unless on a longer ride with a lot of hills. I just took mine off!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts